Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

gabi posted:

If I'm joining Leapforce, but I'm moving in two weeks, should I just apply with them using my new address? My IP address will obviously be different, but I'll still be the only person at my new address working for them. Should I just wait for two weeks even though I have free time now?

Unless they've really changed in the last couple of years, you'll never pass the whole application process and start working in 2 weeks. They might not even tell you whether you've passed within 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PurpleButterfly posted:

I haven't been doing much online work (my regular job moved to WFH in March), but I really should redo my writeup on Amazon Mechanical Turk. It's now years out of date, and we have a subreddit and a Slack workspace now (as well as an entirely new site for that kind of work!) that I really need to point to in the writeup. :)

I'd be interesting in reading that.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hand Knit posted:

(I don't know what the usual per-1000 rate is, but it's probably well short of the £30 per hour suggested here).

How many words can you edit in an hour?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

So I read the OP and have been poking around but does anyone offhand know any freelance sites that pay for translation work? Fiverr is like the only thing that comes to mind, tutor.com didn't used to cover languages (according to op) but I just checked it and it covers like 4 now but that doesn't include my skill area.

I'd try Upwork. They always have a bunch of jobs posted there along those lines. I actually just got a full-time remote (not translation) job through there this month. Which I wasn't even necessarily looking for, the company just contacted me out of the blue because I had a profile on the site. :shrug:

quote:

Does anyone have recent experience on mechanical turk? From the few things I've read a lot of it just boils down to survey websites and it seems like there are a few survey specific sites that pay better more reliably.
Nope, I haven't used it since college. The quality and pay seemed to go way down even during that year or so I was on there.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nighthand posted:

There's still plenty of opportunity out there but I think a lot of it is harder to find or with individual businesses/clients, like you really need to use the sites like Upwork and network,

This is what I did to get my current full-time job, though without even the networking bit (which I'm terrible at, and at self-marketing in general). I just had an account on Upwork in a somewhat related field, and after doing a couple of quick jobs I was contacted by someone from Upwork about one of their Enterprise clients, which is a business hiring a lot of contractors through Upwork. After a weird skill aptitude test and a couple rounds of interviews, I've been writing for them ever since.