Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's really not worth it, it's almost as bad as mechanical turk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You also have a phone interview with BH beyond the test.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I stand corrected, sorry.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 15, 2013

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My experience is from like 2 years ago, so it might have changed.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I need to make more money, I'm getting a decent sum from the web annotation stuff but I'm looking for something else that has a decent barrier of entry and somewhat reliable pay. Any suggestions? I might just move forward with a regular job and supplement it with what I'm doing now.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Doghouse posted:

Does anyone who worked or works at Lionbridge or Leapforce - or even Butler Hill - have any idea what would be appropriate to put on resumes/LinkedIn as far as job description? I am worried about that confidentiality agreement, but I have to be able to describe my job, right? If I just use somewhat vague descriptions without using the G word, am I okay? I'm more worried about LinkedIn.

Just say a "popular search engine" or something. .

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Has this been covered? I haven't been in the thread in a few months.

What content mill/writing site allows you to write under a pseudonym? I know back on Demand, I could write under a different name. I'm the only person with my name online and I already use my real name for art. I don't want "the day job" to interfere with what I'm trying to build with my real name online.

Also what's the protocol for using pseudonym-ed pieces as part of a portfolio? It seems that it would be difficult for it to prove that it is you. I'd like to pick up some local area writing gigs but most of writing work has been under a different name. I genuinely like writing and there's some good offers in my area, but I'm unsure how to approach this and seem legitimate. Any input?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Their site says it's closed still. Is it worth it? This site says it isn't.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What's the consensus on the best three writing places to work for? In that I mean you get paid a decent amount, ability to move up and somewhat quickly. Maybe eventually get a portfolio from it all and work locally somewhere as a writer.

I'm trying to piece together some plan outside of working for Butler Hill because that income alone isn't cutting it. It seems the captioning stuff that kazmeyer does has a steep learning curve and not really up my alley. I'm looking at more just writing and there seems to be a sea of options but it's filled with a lot of crap. Any input? Seems kaz and kilo might have some good experience in this area.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Okay, I was under the impression that there were a few decent ones that sucked but had promise after you slaved away at it for a few months. Thanks for the clarification.

The whole deal about buying a pedal and everything kind of gave me the impression that transcription was kind of difficult. Are there good areas to start there then? I'm willing to invest in the pedal and learn everything, as long as there's some promise in moving up the ranks a bit. Especially if it's a transferable skill that would help me land some kind of normal job.

I've been working away on this search engine evaluation stuff for three years now and it feels like I'm getting nowhere, either in "real world skills" or within the company.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm sure this has been asked but this thread is fairly old and things change a bit around with these companies quite a bit. Is there considered a good intro transcription place to start at to eventually move onto the better caption houses? Would that be DT or are there places that are more lax about transcribing verbatim? Also, how long do you have to slave away typically at the lower tier? I remember there's some guy in this thread who used to be an authority on transcription and moved up the ranks to make good money off of it.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How frequently does DT pay out (biweekly, monthly?) and is it direct deposit?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How much are you guys pulling weekly typically? I know it'll vary but if anyone's willing to share.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Closed now thanks!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 5, 2016

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How much do any of you pull on UHRS monthly? I work within it but through another company.

What's a price that I should look for and what's best to ignore? I have a small set at .14 and a large one at .09, the rest are all sub .05. Doesn't seem worth it. :psyduck:

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think Appen is the most stable.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Done with recruiting, thanks!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 29, 2016

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'll still be hiring by then. I think there's two more groups to be filled in the next coming weeks.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mixodorian posted:

I have a windows 7 PC with Chrome and have an iPhone which I could use Chrome on, could I help you out?

Is the PC a laptop? If you have a laptop, I can take a few. Not looking for iPhone users at the moment though. Shoot me an email or PM if you've got a laptop, I'll send you the sign up form and the materials.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

jabro posted:

I have a car with chrome. Could I help you?

:laffo: Not yet. Maybe in a few years I could foresee a project...

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that's what it is. Your press the mic button that's on the page and record whatever word or few words come up. Your name isn't tied to the voice though.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I lost my contract at Appen after seven years :smith: Is DT still the gateway into transcription? I can type quickly, have some brief but not great experience as a copywriter for a school newspaper too. I need something halfway stable to hustle on while I do freelance programming. I got screwed by taking a "real job" where I didn't work remotely for the first time ever that turned out to pay under the table and never received my last paycheck! So I'm desperate and playing catch up with bills, etc.

I know the scene changes fairly quickly. I did some content writing for content mills way back when but I think that well has ran dry from what I can garner.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How often does DT pay out?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh drat that sucks, at least it seems like they come in quickly. Thanks!

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if ZeroChaos allows you to work while you're at Leapforce, Appen, etc. I remember I worked for Leapforce and Lionbridge at the same time and got canned from both two months later lol I don't want to risk my position at Appen but ZeroChaos sounds a lot better.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
nevermind, working now!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 13, 2017

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Project finished, thanks!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 30, 2017

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Isn't there another company very similar to this recruiting too? I figure it's open season for this job. I think I saw it on Reddit. He enjoyed it but it did have some rigidity to it and the time zone is rough. Any difference no between that one if you p ow what I'm talking about?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Does DT still pays with checks weekly? Or have they modernized that? I might dive into transcription. Only getting a once-a-month paycheck is not so great.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone else not received payment from Appen from the last paycycle?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My friend is using his old Android phone to just play through ads all day. He says he gets paid $30/mo for it but won't give up the name of the service. Anyone know what he's using? He just lets the phone sit on mute upstairs plugged in all day..

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Etsy, get 1-2 friends to model and look cool with the clothes. Then you could always expand to using Instagram, Facebook, etc. as promos. It helps maximizing the profit.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I doubt it. Most people I know have area codes from everywhere besides where they are living. It shouldn't be a problem.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Depends on the program really, from what I've heard the real gravy train left on that but there's still some viable markets and you can still make decent money. I'm pretty sure there's an ESL teaching thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What's the time frame for payouts via mTurk?