Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Got my application to that TextMaster site rejected today after applying about a week or so ago. The reason they gave was that in the sample writing test I had one apostrophe error. I must have just missed it when reading it back over before submitting but that was the only error and they still turned it down, saying they want only the most excellent writers or something to that effect. So good luck with that if they're paying what the rest of these content mills do. On the flip side if you're looking to get content you can rest easy knowing it'll probably be pretty well proofread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
I applied to Zerys about a week ago and after not hearing anything tried to log in this morning, only to have it tell me thanks for the application, but they do not require my services at this time. Bummer. Wonder why that could be. There's no way I bombed the samples and all that badly, based on my ratings and experience with other sites. Oh well, now to wait for my Writer Access profile review to finish.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
I was actually just about to post about how well Constant Content has gone for me in the past couple weeks haha. I can definitely see how everyone's experiences will vary, but after experiencing what you're talking about I've actually found my rhythm. I had a few sent back for corrections because of comma issues, but now take a bit more time to proofread my stuff, am used to the style rules they're looking for, and jack all my Word grammar check settings way up.

Since then I haven't had any returned to me. In the two weeks I've been on it I've only made a dent in a folder full of old stuff I'd written for Demand Studios back in its heyday. One by one I'm just picking any that have a topic that would make a good article and am re-writing it. No research and hardly no thought required. So far I've sold about 10, all within a day of being approved. Like mentioned earlier it's tough at first to get a handle on what to charge, but I got some tips reading a few of the most popular threads in the "general author help" forum there. So far it's not too bad for essentially re-writing my own content that I'd saved from a couple years ago.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
In the world of content mills, at least in the recent past, it more or less was. Those sites paid low because they just wanted quickly written content focused around stuffing a few money keywords in fairly organically. But recent Google changes are sort of crumbling that concept so I'd say it's a bit incorrect to say that's all SEO is these days. Search algorithms now look for useful, fleshed out, well written content and not just the repetition and density of targeted keywords in the article. So putting up a few dozen 300-word posts loosely related to and featuring a certain bank of keywords won't rocket anyone up the search results anymore, if anything they'll be penalized for having useless, spammy, keyword stuffed content.

That's not to say there isn't still a market for these types of writings, because there is. And many of the articles written on TextBroker and the like are well-written and more than just keyword stuffed stream-of-consciousness stuff. But I put in a lot of time on TextBroker and other mills in the past and from what I saw, for the pay and based on feedback from clients those formerly helpful but not anymore articles were what they were after.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Google is definitely taking aim at the content mill style of article creation for websites. Even before Hummingbird, Panda and Penguin put that in motion as well. Now preference is given to unique, well-written, often much lengthier and in-depth content. Bonus points if it's written by an established authority. Keyword stuffing has long been frowned on and as Nighthand said the move away from keyword data within analytics just means an even greater emphasis on overall content and quality of writing versus only focusing on the specific keywords within an article. Now if these sites want to start looking for content like that and people are still willing to write something much more fleshed out, well researched and unique for the prices they pay them by all means there is still plenty of future there. But the days when I could fire off a dozen TextBroker articles that just rambled about snowboard accessories as long as snowboard was mentioned 8 times in the article are fading fast.