Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!

kalstrams posted:

Do search engine evaluation jobs still fare decently (purely from pay/hour standpoint) and are companies mentioned in OP - appen, Lionbridge and Leapforce - still (?the only?) relevant? As well as that, what are typical language requirements for these jobs? I am neither native nor close-to-native English speaker, by quite a bit I'd say (IELTS 7.5 (6.5 Writing)).

I can only speak for Leapforce, having been with them for a couple years now. The pay, for me, at 13.50 is worth it given that I can usually multitask while I am working, but it's not my primary income, just extra money for me. I found the list of their current job listings with requirements for each: https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list.

You have to be able to read English well and fairly quickly, since pretty much all the work is based on visiting several sites and getting a feel for their quality and usefulness within a relatively short time. There is a little writing, since some work requires an explanation for your ratings. Sometimes there is work that requires listening to speech, but these are very few and far between and are just small snippets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!

Lotophage posted:

Passed part one of the Leapforce exam, but the more I read about it the shittier they seem :toot:

Anything in particular? I've been with them for 4+ years as a side gig and have never had any problems. Works not the most exciting, but for the level of effort I put in, it works.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

I've never personally had problems and the only time I've ever even interacted with them was to get reinstated after I was inactive for 6 months. I've heard a lot of those negative things too, though. I think as a new rater they keep a closer eye on your quality, but over time it becomes only a once a month quality review, which I've gotten below average on once and nothing came of it.

I've also heard of people not getting paid or having problems with their time, but have never had any problems with that either. Just make sure to only bill for what you worked. And if there is a task that is supposed to take 10 minutes and you take 15, you can only bill for the 10 they allow. Also, don't take less than the time they give you... There's no benefit to doing so. Some people have apps and such to keep track and record their times, I just have a file with what time I started and what time I stopped and subtract any times I went over from my end time. I also note broadly the kind of task, but don't track how many I do and have never had a problem.

If you get accepted and are a little nervous, I would recommend the simulators they offer, which allow you to do tasks that "don't count" and you get to see the correct answer right away.

If you're pretty internet savvy, you should be fine. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much know what my rating is within seconds of visiting a site and only glance over the new guidelines when they release them.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

I work for a few places online. Main one with Appen’s RaterLabs (formerly LeapForce). Been working there for nearly 10 years now. It can be okay, but probably stressful if it’s your main source of income. They just finally increased peoples pay for the first time since I started there. I went from $13/hr to $14.50/hr.

Another one that I’ve really enjoyed and with great pay is Acuity Insights. You rate text and video responses to CASPer test questions, which are behavioral based situations that students need to respond to. The tests are fairly seasonal though and go in waves with sometimes none for months. The text based tests are the best though. Depends on how fast you can read and make judgements, but I can make $20-$30/hr. It’s paid piecerate, $0.60/rating.

Recently done some work with Telus as a mystery shopper where you purchase items and review the item and seller. These are usually Facebook or Instagram ad based. Pay is garbage for the amount of time you have to take to input info into their system, but you get a couple hundred dollars worth of items that you may or may not find useful. I mainly do it to get some extra spend to hit sign-up bonuses on my latest credit card.

None of these are my full time job, just side stuff for some extra money. RaterLabs is the most consistent work and there’s almost always available work. I do about 15 hrs a week, but could do up to the max of 26 if I had the time.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

I recently got accepted to Data Annotation as well. I applied Jan 15th and got accepted Jan 24th. I didn't do the coding qualification. Thugh I am trying to brush up on my Python to be able to take it and get the higher paying work. So far, things have been good with Data Annotation. The first week or so there would sometimes not be work available on some days, but since I've gotten approved on projects where I start conversations with the bot rather than review them, there's been steady work. So far it's been $20-$21/hour and no issues with my payouts. I applied here since my part time job for the last decade finally gave out and Google cancelled their contract with Appen. I had been with Leapforce/RaterLabs for like 12 years. Overall, the pay bump is nice, though I have to pay more attention to my work than I did at Appen.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

I’m still with DA after about 3 to 4 months now. Took the coding qualification exam 2 weeks ago after brushing up on my python, passed, though still mostly doing non-coding cause I’m not super comfortable with coding yet. I’m an amateur, just self taught Python, so if you have any familiarity with coding, you should be able to pass.

Going to keep doing online self-learning for a little while yet. In terms of non-coding, I’ve been having huge amounts of projects available, with some usually between $21-$24/hr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

I did a little bit of work for TELUS, not the same one, but mystery shopping and gave up because of the pay for the amount of work I had to do, along with the possibility of not getting paid at the end of buying the stuff with their unclear instructions and crappy system.