Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Just what I always wanted for Christmas - a life-sized crying statue of Bill Paxton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Xenomrph posted:

Kinda sorta - Weyland-Yutani got bought out by Wal-Mart, but they don't even have a presence in the movie at all -- the evil experiments being performed in 'Alien Resurrection' are being done by the United Systems Military, and even then they're not exactly sanctioned by the government at large - one of the smugglers makes a comment to the general in charge of the operation that most government-approved operations don't hire mercenaries and don't operate outside regulated space.

Which is one criticism of that movie that I rarely see. Much like Alien 3 killing off characters from Aliens, Alien Resurrection killed off the primary villain of the first three movies off-screen (then made a pop culture joke about it, no less.)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I know this game has made a big fuss about staying as true to the films and recreating as much as possible, but those achievement titles still cracked me up and made me a little more excited.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Spoilered in case anyone is avoiding the trailer Pseudophile posted:

I can't think of any way they can bring back Cpl Hicks without an incredibly contrived explanation. That being said, I don't even care because Michael Beihn is the coolest dude and any reason to have him in this game is cool with me.

Edit: In case anyone missed it, in the shot of several armed men guarding a prisoner with a black bag on his head, the prisoner is Hicks. He's wearing the same green GI shirt with holes in the same positions as in the intro video, and has the bandage on his left arm. I'm in favor of the 'WY kidnapped him, left a dead body in his place and put an egg in the lifeboat to tie up loose ends' theory so far. It would make sense and retroactively validate one of the big plot holes from Alien 3.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 31, 2012

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

It's not completely implausible, though. WY sends a second ship of bad guys as an insurance policy to follow after the Sulaco from the beginning. They grab some eggs from the derelict (which was miles from the explosion and over mountain ridges), then intercept the Sulaco and bag Hicks in order to get his intel on how the xenos fared in combat against trained marines. However, once they receive the medical data from Fury 161 and realize there's a loving queen there, they drop everything and scramble to secure it.

God I'm a loving nerd for just speculating this poo poo.

oswald ownenstein posted:

How about no explanation? How about "this is how we envision it, Alien 3 was an abortion" and done?

I doubt it, they mention the Sulaco being last seen over Fury 161 in the trailer. So whatever angle they're going for, it will at least acknowledge Alien 3.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 31, 2012

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I don't know, I always got the impression that Burke was essentially a junior executive that thought he was far craftier than he really was. Surely the guy couldn't scramble an entire spaceship full of marines, nuclear weapons and sharp sticks all by himself.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Ramba Ral posted:

God, that rifle was so great in multiplayer. The predator players just got angry that corporate and marines had a weapon that could equal them.

I remember changing my name to TheLegHunter and joining servers as Dunya, targeting only people's legs. After one-shotting them and blowing off their leg, I would tell them in chat to leave their leg, it now belonged to me. If I killed them with a shot anywhere else I would apologize profusely. For some reason, this drove people into an absolute fury.

I actually liked the AvP2 humans in multiplayer. Their weapons were very powerful, but only in certain niche uses (outside of the sniper rifle, which was a bit unbalanced). They're the aliens' counterpart - aliens and humans both should both require teamwork to be effective, it's only a matter of whether that's coordinated stealth attacks or squad movements. Meanwhile Predators are built for solo play and don't play well with each other, represented by their stunted player cap.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Have they mentioned anything about Life Cycle returning in this game? In AvP2 that mode was hilariously broken but it was still really fun. In a way it was an ancestor of CoD's killstreak gameplay, only instead of controlling an AC-130 you're now a fifteen-foot-tall armored monstrosity.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Warbadger posted:

Give each marine 2 mags of ammo and a couple grenades and do away with the " magically top off magazine via reload every time you fire a burst" bullshit so they actually have to count the rounds to an empty magazine. Meanwhile aliens die fast but are also deadly as gently caress if they reach somebody.

That is a perfect description of AvP99's Marine campaign. You couldn't perform a tactical reload; your weapon would automatically be reloaded once the magazine was spent. It let to situations where you're low on ammo and forced to decide - do you spray the last ten rounds in this magazine into the wall so you can proceed with a fresh one? It helped that melee combat was simply you swinging your pulse rifle like a baseball bat against lightning fast balls of teeth and acid and was essentially certain death.

Ammo was fairly abundant in that game, but it forced you to search for dead marines that were usually off the beaten path in order to pick up their ammo, health kits and body armor. Combined with randomized spawning of xenos across the map it created a real atmosphere of ever-present tension. AvP99 was probably the first FPS that truly scared the hell out of me*.

*loving Atmosphere Processor. Half of my playthroughs I'd get jumped, panic and set myself on fire with the flamethrower.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

happyhippy posted:

If that's an ingame decal for players, I will team kill and/or troll every mother fucker wearing it.

Guess he don't like the Monster, either.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 26, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Don't forget that a velcro Reebok also saves the day at the end of the movie.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Lance Henriksen seems like he's pretty much the coolest dude. Although I'm curious as to how many fans' hands he's accidentally stabbed after they beg him to do the thing with the knife.

Edit: Come to think of it, if they put a knife hand minigame to cover loading screens, I'd buy this game so hard.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Given everything in that cargo bay that wasn't nailed down ended up going out the airlock, I'm not sure your spoiler makes one iota of sense.[/film nerd]

Maybe the white goo inside of synthetics is very, very sticky. We need Xenomrph. He'd know.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Bishop DID have a death grip on that grating, so who knows.

Yeah, but that half wasn't the one they left there.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Batham posted:

Maybe he grabbed his legs offscreen, huh? You would too! :colbert:

"Hey, can you guys make sure to go get my dick? I'd really appreciate it if you can put my dick in the cooler until we get back."

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Oh, damnit, what movie is that from? I know I've seen it but I'm drawing a blank.

I wasn't thinking of it when I typed it, but I just realized it's paraphrased from 21 Jump Street.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I'm hoping that there's a hardcore mode in multiplayer, similar to CoD's hardcore. Add friendly fire and make it where both sides die from 1-2 hits, maybe strip out reviving entirely or limit it to one or two revives.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Any news on whether there is an AvP-style taunt button? That was one of my favorite little things in the older games. Nothing is as satisfying as sneaking up on the ceiling behind a Marine player in AvP Gold, dropping to the floor, hitting the taunt button and biting him in the face as soon as he turns around.

See also: running around as a Marine spamming "Huueeh!" and "aaaAAAAH-ha ha!"

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Ugh goddamn TimeGate. I'll never forgive them for loving up the FEAR storyline and making all that lovely DLC. gently caress.

drat. Was I the only one who thought the ending of Extraction Point was pretty cool? Here comes the helicopter to take you to safety just kidding it's the apocalypse.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Though I still have to wonder why it is all the guards Hicks fights are armed with SMGs but he's convinced they have assault rifles hidden away in the armory they are refusing to use. I guess he assumed the enemies were too honorable to bring assault rifles against a guy with an SMG.

Well, this part of the game should be taking place on the Sulaco. He's probably referring to the armory on his own ship, not what the bad guys brought with them.

God drat, though, that sequence was hilariously bad. Why did there just happen to be an also-bandaged guy just hanging around in his skivvies? Please tell me that this is never explained, it would just make it more hilariously bullshit. Deus Ex Naked Guy.

comatose posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Hicks' model is just so bad. What the gently caress is wrong with his arms, hands and head?!

I've always been of the opinion that more FPS games should have a DK Mode.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 25, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I can't understood the rationale behind shoehorning Ripley (and now, her formerly elderly progeny) into the property again. Honestly, the character doesn't have a lot beyond 'she is good at surviving alien encounters but suffers PTSD' and 'she lost her daughter and subsequently saved and adopted a little girl her age from said monsters.' Her character is incredibly thin, and really the impact owes more to Sigourney Weaver's acting and the smart writing and direction of Scott and Cameron than anything truly interesting in the character herself.

Alien 3 survived, again, on Weaver's fantastic portrayal of an unhinged, delirious and suicidal take on the character and Fincher's hamstrung and nihilistic take. Alien Resurrection would have been better without Weaver whatsoever, if only so we could have had more goofy mercenaries shooting at xenomorphs with coffee cup guns.

Edit: this is, of course, discounting the weight the character holds as one of the archetypical examples of 'strong leading lady in a horror/action film.' And this is doubly true since it's incredibly rare to have a female lead that's both equally or more capable than the male leads while being almost completely nonsexual, especially in a series charged with highly sexual themes. But since this is a Sega game we're talking about and the last two 'strong' female characters we got in an Alien game from them were one-liner-spitting damsels in distress who either had their sternums perforated or were frozen shortly before said perforation, I'm not really holding out much hope that we'll see a worthy successor in Amanda.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 25, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Mortal Sword posted:

I thought it was stupid precisely because it had Ripley in it at all, when her story arc had very clearly ended in the previous film. The need to include baggage from the previous films crippled it, and continues to cripple most Alien-related media.

I think Alien 3 is the least egregious example of this. Frankly, another Alien wasn't going to get made without Weaver on board, and out of the two or three scripts I saw the one we got was the least ridiculous. Plus, I thought it did a great job of skewering its own characters (literally, in the case of Hicks) and pointing out the shortcomings of the series' own themes.

Alien 3 was entirely about destroying Ripley as a character, using inverted religious metaphors the entire film. She is surrounded by pious monks who despise her and her lack of faith, and acts as Eve in bringing temptation and death to what was previously a harmonious group. The alien is constantly referred to as a beast or a dragon, representing the serpent she led to the prisoner's garden. She carries an immaculately conceived being inside of her (there's a thematic reason why we never saw her get facehugged), and yet is the only character in the series actually shown having sex - with a man who is immediately killed. At the end she dies baptizing herself in fire in a cruciform shape, performing what amounts to an abortion on the alien inside her.

It's a terrible mess of religious themes held together by shoestring and an amazing score, and I can't bring myself not to really like the film.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Jonesie was the true villain in Alien. He's directly responsible for leading one person to their death, almost doing it to another, and screwing up a plan to catch the alien. The plot twist in the next DLC is that he was also a robot and Ash was reporting directly to him.

Edit: not to mention he was awfully chummy with Paul Reiser in the beginning of Aliens. Probably his boss, too.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

That led me to a weird train of thought. Since Dead Space allegedly started as System Shock 3, just give the Alien IP to Ken Levine and have a game where you wander a ship full of body horror monsters while Mother insults you over the comm system. And you set the ship to self destruct by typing 0451 into a keypad.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

Oh gently caress me sideways. Why can't they get one Aliens game right? Do you have a link to the leaks?

Alien Vs. Predator and it's sequel on PC were awesome, for the record. And the Konami arcade game had Not Chun Li and Cyborg Schwarzenegger choke-slamming aliens and eating space food out of space trashcans. And it was badass :colbert:

Also, that trailer was surprisingly good. Honestly I could deal with scripted Alien scenes if they are well done and the game is giving me a real clunky, desperate Condemned: Criminal Origins vibe. I'm holding out judgement until I see how the bulk of the gameplay pans out, though.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

That crate's got a Jenkins-Folger clamp. Gotta use a Class-C Loader to pick that bad boy up. Build yourself the ultimate mancave out of these AUGH AUGH AUGH

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

a cock shaped fruit posted:

No link, but the story is Aliens: Labyrinth. I have the novel, but I have also been told that the comic adaptation is really really good, so now I am looking for a copy of that.

The story has some pretty hosed up poo poo in it, if you are into that kind of thing. I'd go into detail, but I am unsure people care that deeply.

I think I had the comic as a kid. Isn't that the one where the antagonist is captured with his family as a child and grows up surrounded by moldy half-dead xenos? And when he's an adolescent they lead him into a chamber where his morbidly obese, mutilated torso of a mother is laying in a pool of goo and the xenos are pushing him forward like "go ahead, make us some babies dude."

That comic was hosed up.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Looks like it's up to :ussr: to fix up ACM:

I tried the A:CM multiplayer for about an hour or two and just gave up. I can't fathom whose bright idea it was to take a class-based, rank progression shooter that gives one side experience from the single player campaign. Every match was one or two level 3 aliens getting blasted by a fireteam of marines with fully upgraded weapons.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Decent? :psyduck: How could anyone think what we got was even decent? The Assembly cut is definitely better, but only makes that film bearable. The film is raw rear end and it's soundtrack is forgettable.

Alien 3 has a lot of problems, but if you think the soundtrack is one of them then :psyduck: Elliot Goldenthal's score is one of the best original scores of the nineties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

They'd definitely encountered extraterrestrial life before as of 'Alien'. First-contact is a kind of big deal, and the Nostromo crew just kind of roll their eyes like "we're getting detoured for this poo poo?".

I don't know, their stunned reaction to hearing the transmission and seeing the ship implies that it was a pretty big deal. Their motivations from then on out seem to be to do the bare minimum they're contractually obligated to do and get the hell out of there because oh gently caress I'm just a trucker I'm not qualified for this poo poo.

Presumably they'd get home and tell the suits "there's a big dead alien in a spaceship here, send some science types" and collect their awesome bonus for confirming the authenticity of the signal.

• Locked thread