Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If there's a romance it'll probably be between secondary characters, like Neo Riki and the Nopon of his dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah if they're going for a custom protag they should just go whole hog and let you be a robot if you want.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Shulk being able to talk let you have good interplay with the other party members and flesh out those relationships (and Xenoblade was all about relationships), plus battle shouts and whatnot both as you control Shulk or make him not your main. You'll lose a good deal of plot, worldbuilding, and battle awareness without that stuff; keeping a silent protagonist will be a challenge so hopefully that's not their plan at all.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
A large part of what made Shulk great for me was his great relationship with his best bro, Reyn. Even with a cool neo-Reyn character in X, it still wouldn't have as much impact if he was interacting with <CREATE-A-CHARACTER>.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the game is all about, what with Machina and Nopon being shown in the trailer and... the United States colony of Neo Los Angeles appearing in the gameplay.

Zero_Tactility posted:

A large part of what made Shulk great for me was his great relationship with his best bro, Reyn. Even with a cool neo-Reyn character in X, it still wouldn't have as much impact if he was interacting with <CREATE-A-CHARACTER>.
The story set up pretty much precludes him having a best buddy. Elma finds him still asleep in a stasis pod and has to explain where and when he is. He seems to have been in stasis for a lot longer than the other humans.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 11, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They created a new universe at the end of the last game, so maybe it was our universe that gets created and now we've crash landed on the Xenoblade world and

Yeah I don't know.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

No lie, before I posted what I did, I was gonna just put "This means you can't have another bro like Reyn." Will it truly never again be Reyn Time?

Unless you use the character creator to become Reyn, of course.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the game is all about, what with Machina and Nopon being shown in the trailer and... the United States colony of Neo Los Angeles appearing in the gameplay.

The story set up pretty much precludes him having a best buddy. Elma finds him still asleep in a stasis pod and has to explain where and when he is. He seems to have been in stasis for a lot longer than the other humans.

Just because he comes in without relationships doesn't mean he couldn't form them as the game went on. It is entirely possible that he could have become best buds with someone. Well, if he wasn't a mute. Appearance select is fine, but voice select in an extensively voiced game is death for characterization. The gameplay looks great, but xenoblade was all about the setting and relationships. I'm reserving judgement on the setting, but I hope that the rest of the cast picks up the slack for the blank slate.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Mass Effect ran on having a custom protagonist as did Saint's Row, there was loads of weird alien sex either way.

I do not see having a custom protagonist being an issue.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I would like the ability to switch characters during combat, please.

I feel like the strategy of Xenoblade is somewhat limited by this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Taint Reaper posted:

Mass Effect ran on having a custom protagonist as did Saint's Row, there was loads of weird alien sex either way.

I do not see having a custom protagonist being an issue.

Problem is that all evidence points to the custom protagonist being Mutey McWooden

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
I think it's a real shame that they've chosen to make the protagonist mute and silent. It is, as everyone knows, *actually* impossible to make a silent protagonist have any relationships with other characters except the most shallow and facile; in fact, literally every game with a silent protagonist in recent history (since we grew past the bad old days of JRPGs) has done pretty poorly, with poor reception. Plus, there's no way to give such a character characterization. There's no way for them to pull this off- if that's really what they're going for, then it means that another promising series of games from Japan (a rare commodity these days) is probably going to end up falling apart.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Captain Oblivious posted:

Problem is that all evidence points to the custom protagonist being Mutey McWooden

With all the money they've sunk into it, they can't spend a little bit more to hire two VA's to say things?

*edit*

Someone beat me to the persona thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

He was still a blank slate mute. Any characterization came from the anime. Silent protagonists are not good, popularity does not equal quality. I mean gently caress, you are saying that sales make for a good game in a xenoblade thread.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Serious Frolicking posted:

He was still a blank slate mute. Any characterization came from the anime. Silent protagonists are not good, popularity does not equal quality. I mean gently caress, you are saying that sales make for a good game in a xenoblade thread.

You get to pick the guy's answer and it's usually pretty funny in game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lets not kid ourselves here, I love Persona 4 and all but it's ludicrous to claim the protagonists of Persona have actual relationships. People have relationships AT him, not with him.

The silent protagonist aspect is something I put up with because everything else is so good, not something I actually endorse.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
I actually prefer my character to be silent in some games because then I don't have to worry about something completely out of character or something extremely stupid coming out of my character's mouth.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a fantastic example of this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I guess if they do a couple different voice sets it could work, but that's a lot of "spare" dialog to record.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

So it'll be a good game after Giant Bomb plays it in 4 years?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've been playing through this game recently, oddly enough. I just arrived at Colony 6 and entered the mines there. I'm level 28 and everything else is level 20. :stare:

Game is incredible though - best JRPG I've played since...hrm, Final Fantasy X?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kirios posted:

I've been playing through this game recently, oddly enough. I just arrived at Colony 6 and entered the mines there. I'm level 28 and everything else is level 20. :stare:

Game is incredible though - best JRPG I've played since...hrm, Final Fantasy X?

This is the unfortunate downside to doing every sidequest you can. The EXP rewards get you overleveled to the point where the enemies don't pose a threat, and as a result you also get crappy AP and SP rewards in battle.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I noticed that, but I actually really like doing the side quests in this game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Look at all this goony hate of Xenosaga. I played Xenoblade because of Xenosaga.

Also I tried playing xenogears but never got very far...

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kirios posted:

How on earth did you manage that? The game rubber-bands its experience curve pretty heavily; it's quite difficult to get any massive difference in character levels between different party members (not counting new game+ early-game Fiora).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Look at all this goony hate of Xenosaga. I played Xenoblade because of Xenosaga.

Don't think you're gonna find much support white knighting Xenosaga, of all things :stare:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kirios posted:

I noticed that, but I actually really like doing the side quests in this game.

Goddamn you're in for a treat. Honestly though: stop reading this thread. Spoiler central with us discussing the sequel.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Xenogears is very good and ridiculously ambitious, which unfortunately makes the second half suffer after their budget (reportedly) got cut for Final Fantasy 8.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

They get Reyn's VA for the male option and Melia's VA for the female option and that's all they need.

And Riki's VA as an option for both.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Don't think you're gonna find much support white knighting Xenosaga, of all things :stare:

Basically I'm X3>X1>X2, x2 was stupid, the story was stupid, the sidequests are stupid. X3 was awesome and XC was basically a dream but...

Honestly, I don't really mind ~the anime~ as much as some of you seem to. It's a game out of Japan, it's going to have some level of anime.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Honestly, I don't really mind ~the anime~ as much as some of you seem to. It's a game out of Japan, it's going to have some level of anime.

A lot of us are on the same page, Xenoblade was just a breath of fresh air after so many JRPGs that were anime first.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Silent protagonists are, in fact, not necessarily good OR bad, and they work in many situations.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

theflyingorc posted:

Silent protagonists are, in fact, not necessarily good OR bad, and they work in many situations.

The Persona games all had silent protagonists and those games still managed to present their story very well. Hell, Personas 3 and 4 even had the whole social game/dating sim thing going on which made up like half of those games.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Xenogears is very good and ridiculously ambitious, which unfortunately makes the second half suffer after their budget (reportedly) got cut for Final Fantasy 8.

Yeah that was a drat shame. Slapping in Disc 2 and being greeted by STORY TIME about a bunch of crazy poo poo that allegedly happened that you wished you could have actually played the game through instead of just reading about.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 11, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Regy Rusty posted:

They created a new universe at the end of the last game, so maybe it was our universe that gets created and now we've crash landed on the Xenoblade world and

Yeah I don't know.
I thought the whole Alvis thing that created the Xenoblade universe was also supposed to have been caused by 'us'? Maybe it'll all turn out to be a big cycle, these guys make Alvis and then Shulk makes these guys and everything everybody ever does is completely pointless? And the plot will involve the party members pulling a Dunban and being all gently caress YOU DESTINY

Because that would own bones

But I suppose it's pointless to speculate on this kind of thing right now though

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I started playing Xenogears and it IS pretty drat good, but the fact that I know it's gonna go to pot in disc 2 because of the budget cut makes me sad on top of the half-assed localization. At least XCX has Gear-like mechs for me to shoot/punch stuff with :unsmith:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Vil posted:

How on earth did you manage that? The game rubber-bands its experience curve pretty heavily; it's quite difficult to get any massive difference in character levels between different party members (not counting new game+ early-game Fiora).

I do Every. Single. Side Quest. :v:

The only ones I haven't done yet is finding three pieces of some guy's gear when he made his climb to Bionis' Head. I found one of them and I assume this takes place over the span of the first half of the game?

The second one is proving that Shulk and Reyn are best buddies to a couple of girls? :shrug:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Basically I'm X3>X1>X2, x2 was stupid, the story was stupid, the sidequests are stupid. X3 was awesome and XC was basically a dream but...

Hey Xeno bro :hf:
I think people here are reeling because
1)X2 REALLY dropped the ball
2)Xenosaga wasn't for everyone
3)Xenoblade eschewed a lot of JRPG stuff that had become(unfortunately) commonplace over the years

I personally will defend X1 and X3 as fun(for me, not absolute truth) games.
X2 can go die in a fire. loving You-Are-TVs

Funny that you say white knight. Hopefully, this silent protag will be more important to the story than he was in White Knight Chronicles.
Literally a prop.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

X2 got off to a great start. Then about 90 seconds in they started talking and it entered a death spiral of horribleness that never gets better.

Xenosaga was pretty bad but I enjoyed it for what it was, scenery chewing and ham-fisted gnosticism included. And I will forever be amused that they gave the most badass moment in the series to loving Allen.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zeether posted:

I started playing Xenogears and it IS pretty drat good, but the fact that I know it's gonna go to pot in disc 2 because of the budget cut makes me sad on top of the half-assed localization. At least XCX has Gear-like mechs for me to shoot/punch stuff with :unsmith:

It doesn't go to pot, not quite like that. They just planned more game than they had budget for, so you end up watching a few scenes you can tell were meant to be playable. You still have an excellent hidden area, final dungeon, and other stuff to look forward to on disc 2.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kirios posted:

I do Every. Single. Side Quest. :v:

The only ones I haven't done yet is finding three pieces of some guy's gear when he made his climb to Bionis' Head. I found one of them and I assume this takes place over the span of the first half of the game?

The second one is proving that Shulk and Reyn are best buddies to a couple of girls? :shrug:

Yup, those two quests will take you a while to finish. I loved the sidequests for the most part, I just wish it didn't remove the challenge from most of the game.

Have fun doing every sidequest in the third city. :unsmigghh:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love Xenosaga. But let's be honest here, they were not very good games. For the first game Takahashi grossly underestimated the time and money he needed in order to make the game he wanted to make, and it shows. IIRC in an interview that he said the first episode had only about 20% of the story he wanted in it (including the portions of the story that ended up in episode II). That's lovely directing, and it's no wonder he wasn't allowed to direct the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

vaguely posted:

I thought the whole Alvis thing that created the Xenoblade universe was also supposed to have been caused by 'us'? Maybe it'll all turn out to be a big cycle, these guys make Alvis and then Shulk makes these guys and everything everybody ever does is completely pointless? And the plot will involve the party members pulling a Dunban and being all gently caress YOU DESTINY

Because that would own bones

But I suppose it's pointless to speculate on this kind of thing right now though

Do we get a neat "walk through the solar system" sequence out of it again? I'd be OK with that.

• Locked thread