Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Anyone have a link to the Xenoblade Chronicles X footage from yesterday's demo thing? Not the trailer shown during the Nintendo event, the actual gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Mind_Taker posted:

Anyone have a link to the Xenoblade Chronicles X footage from yesterday's demo thing? Not the trailer shown during the Nintendo event, the actual gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tybKz3DKqRc

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Thanks!

I'm really excited about the big open worlds again, they managed to make the world look impressive as hell on the original Wii, should be awesome in HD.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mind_Taker posted:

Thanks!

I'm really excited about the big open worlds again, they managed to make the world look impressive as hell on the original Wii, should be awesome in HD.

The discussion of a dash button also sounds really nice. I loved the great big worlds, hated having to recross them for quests.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mazed posted:

They get Reyn's VA for the male option and Melia's VA for the female option and that's all they need.

And Riki's VA as an option for both.

If Xenoblade 2 doesn't have British-accent VA I'm gonna be Mad About Videogames.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

axeil posted:

If Xenoblade 2 doesn't have British-accent VA I'm gonna be Mad About Videogames.

I hope that's something that doesn't get overlooked in the localization, even though it wont make total sense being that we are following Space-Americans. The British VAs were a sizable chunk of the first game's charm.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Here's a link to the gameplay stream without the audio synq problem. The overworld looks nice but I'm not sold on the custom main character and the bad, bad, bad faces.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Renoistic posted:

Here's a link to the gameplay stream without the audio synq problem. The overworld looks nice but I'm not sold on the custom main character and the bad, bad, bad faces.

You forgot the link buddy!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Silent protagonists, when done well, can have more personality than one with hours and hours of dialogue written for them. Chrono Trigger comes to mind, for example.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

axeil posted:

The city is new Los Angeles or whatever so temper your expectations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Gordon Freeman is a cool silent protagonist.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think the whole silent protagonist thing could work but I really enjoyed hearing the narration and internal thought processes of Shulk, especially considering the general story and how he was mostly the main focus. Making the protagonist silent means you have to concentrate on other characters to drive that and at times it can feel like you're disconnected and are more of an observer than an active participant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WhiffleballDude posted:

Silent protagonists, when done well, can have more personality than one with hours and hours of dialogue written for them. Chrono Trigger comes to mind, for example.

Is it hard to see through those rose colored glasses

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Louisgod posted:

I think the whole silent protagonist thing could work but I really enjoyed hearing the narration and internal thought processes of Shulk, especially considering the general story and how he was mostly the main focus. Making the protagonist silent means you have to concentrate on other characters to drive that and at times it can feel like you're disconnected and are more of an observer than an active participant.

As a friend pointed out, this should be the real problem with the silent protagonist- not that it's totally impossible to do, but it is harder than doing a 'normally' written protagonist and more importantly it's not what Monolith or the director have really been known for. It's also unclear why it's being done; in games like P3/4 it was done to put the player solidly in the shoes of the MC, because Persona was/is a very, well, 'personal' story, on a very personal level- it invites the player to look at themselves in the mirrors the game shows them by doing so.

Atlus also has, as far as I know, never done a game without a silent protagonist, so they had a wealth of experience to draw on. The question is ultimately going to be, I think, 'why are they doing it' and 'do they know how to do it?' If it's being done so the player can creep on weird doll-like animes girls, because everyone saw the relationship system in XBC and thought 'yesss, now I can date riki' and was disappointed- then, then there's going to be a problem.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Louisgod posted:

I didn't feel all that connected to Xenoblade's characters. They were all likeable and fun but I didn't feel like I was much more than a spectator in that game, and that's fine.

All the games I've felt really attached to the characters have had silent protagonists. Chrono Trigger is a good yet simple example, but the JRPG series that more-or-less perfected the role of the silent protagonist connecting you to the story and other characters, in my mind, has to be the SMT series. Personas 3 and 4 are testament to how well a silent protagonist can work in a JRPG. In those games you controlled the protagonist and read his internal monologue as he went about his business, and got to choose between dialogue choices in conversations.

I mean, Persona 4 even had an anime series where the protagonist barely spoke at all, and when he did it was almost exclusively stuff from dialogue choices you had in the game.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 11, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I still don't like the color palate on display. It looks too next-gen brown. Could just be the zone they're in, but if you compare it to the Knee it just looks washed out.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Captain Oblivious posted:

Chrono Trigger's actually pretty good, even knowing that my nostalgia makes me love it more than a newcomer would who approached it today.

Silent protagonists can definitely work, they're just different.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Considering I didn't play Chrono Trigger until the mid-2000's, not really.

Notice I said "when done well." I'm not claiming every super nintendo game with a mute protagonist is a loving masterpiece, it's tremendously easy to gently caress up and just have a blank slate with a sword while the princess of arcadia does all the exposition for you and call it a day.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chrono Trigger is a great game but Crono isn't why. I can't really think of a game that is great because of its silent protagonist rather than in spite of it. The Half Life games give being silent a certain charm, but even they haven't been exempt from criticism for the awkwardness of telling such a serious story with no responses from Gordon.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Office Thug posted:

You forgot the link buddy!

What the hell. Sorry about that.

Here's the gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fblid23KEho

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Chrono Trigger is a great game but Crono isn't why. I can't really think of a game that is great because of its silent protagonist rather than in spite of it. The Half Life games give being silent a certain charm, but even they haven't been exempt from criticism for the awkwardness of telling such a serious story with no responses from Gordon.

This is pretty much what I was getting at. Chrono Trigger is a fun game but lets be real here Crono is not some sort of testament to the characterization of silent protagonists.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't really think of a game that is great because of its silent protagonist rather than in spite of it.
How would you even notice this is happening.

The whole point is that he keeps out of the way of the story, it's like saying "you never see a bad toupee".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

This is pretty much what I was getting at. Chrono Trigger is a fun game but lets be real here Crono is not some sort of testament to the characterization of silent protagonists.

The entire point of silent protagonists is for them to not have strong characterization.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

The entire point of silent protagonists is for them to not have strong characterization.

I don't find that to be a compelling excuse. Why would I want the protagonist to keep out of the way of the story?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

I don't find that to be a compelling excuse.
This isn't anything.

The silent protagonist creates a distinct feel - it increases the feeling that what you're doing is what YOU are doing, rather than the person in the game, because you naturally start to mold your decisions around what that person would do.

One of which feels more like piloting a story, the other feels more like piloting a character.

You see it less in RPGs because it places some weird restrictions on your ability to write, but it's used to great effect in, say, Bethesda games.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Is there an expected release date for this yet? I haven't seen anything but I may be super blind.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm going to miss the crazy rear end humanoid continents in xenoblade and how you always had an idea of where you were in the world. A simple alien world looks so boring in comparison.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gonna miss the Bionis' swamp rear end.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Chronojam posted:

Gonna miss the Bionis' swamp rear end.

The Mechonis was kinda samey to me, though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

BitterAvatar posted:

Is there an expected release date for this yet? I haven't seen anything but I may be super blind.

Next year at some point is all we know I think.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

In fairness, Chrono Trigger never featured any particularly complex relationships. Whereas Xenoblade and its predecessors really struck out to create some very complicated character developments (with Xenoblade itself certainly having the most success with it), CT was always a big goofy cartoon. And it was wonderful for it, of course, but a Xeno game shouldn't necessarily have the same tone.

In regards to "anime", that term gets thrown around derogatorily a lot, and probably more than it should be. Really, what that entails is a certain flavor of campiness that isn't necessarily bad. Xenosaga's mistake was taking itself drop-dead seriously while also indulging in that, which in itself was a certain kind of entertaining, yet makes it very difficult to recommend to anyone.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I guess there's no ETA for the game then?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

RadicalR posted:

I guess there's no ETA for the game then?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It looks very impressive technically, how you can see so far and walk that far without any loading screens. But from all indications, this is a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles in the same way that Far Cry 2 is a sequel to Far Cry. I don't think a mute protagonist will work well with a cutscene-loaded story.

For a 40-minute presentation, I was expecting more to happen. It was basically just a really really really long walk from A to B for the sake of showing off "look how far our draw distance is!" Nothing happened. It was mostly just dull, really. In the first game, the equivalent was walking from the junk heap to Colony 9, which took only one or two minutes at most - not twenty.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 12, 2014

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It looks very impressive technically, how you can see so far and walk that far without any loading screens. But from all indications, this is a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles in the same way that Far Cry 2 is a sequel to Far Cry. I don't think a mute protagonist will work well with a cutscene-loaded story.

Xenoblade is fairly cutscene-light for a JRPG, especially if compared to the other Xeno- games. It probably could have worked with a silent protagonist, although it wouldn't add anything. Consider this: if all of Shulk's dialog was removed from the game, would we have any trouble knowing what he's thinking? He never really diverges from the player, and that's probably why people like him as a protagonist.

Xenoblade as a whole was pretty great about conveying story and character through gameplay, and if Takahashi wants to move more in that direction I'm all for it. Let's get as far from the Exposition Chair as we can.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Microcline posted:

Xenoblade is fairly cutscene-light for a JRPG, especially if compared to the other Xeno- games. It probably could have worked with a silent protagonist, although it wouldn't add anything. Consider this: if all of Shulk's dialog was removed from the game, would we have any trouble knowing what he's thinking? He never really diverges from the player, and that's probably why people like him as a protagonist.

Xenoblade as a whole was pretty great about conveying story and character through gameplay, and if Takahashi wants to move more in that direction I'm all for it. Let's get as far from the Exposition Chair as we can.

The Shulk/Fiorah relationship wouldn't have worked nearly as well, if at all, if Shulk was a silent protagonist. Maybe I'm the strange one but some girl being in loved with a mute plank never really worked for me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Microcline posted:

Everything about this post is wrong.

Your "Silent Shulk" hypothetical is a useless example because Shulk having a voice and personality is fully intertwined with the story and reactions of the other characters. You could not just simply strip out Shulk's lines without completely rewriting the entire game. It's impossible to fathom what that rewrite would do.

Silent protagonists in general are awful. Half the time they're used, they harm immersion much more than they contribute to it. The more story a game has, the more it tends to take control of your character for cutscenes and things, and the more control is taken from you, the less you're fooled into thinking "this is happening to me".

Now, I couldn't understand any of the dialogue in that 40 minute gameplay video showed, but it was in no way at all "getting away from the Exposition Chair". The protagonist is a mute, turning Elma into a walking Exposition Chair, and there's no disguising that because the silent protagonist just mutely absorbs everything.

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
This is a Xeno game, so your character is going to end up having multiple personalities, only one of which is silent.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Freedonkeys posted:

This is a Xeno game, so your character is going to end up having multiple personalities, only one of which is silent.

The other is your father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Whizbang posted:

The other is your father.

No, it's actually revealed that the player is the only one that can't hear the protagonists voice and it's because you're in another dimension, and also you're god, and also nothing happened because it was a computer simulation inside another computer simulation

• Locked thread