Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sankis posted:

Is there an easy way to do this or am I going to have to follow one of these billion step guides using terms I don't understand? I doubt I'll ever rip a game for wii except for this one and it seems like such an undertaking.

It's really quite simple.

- Install the homebrew channel via letterbomb if you don't have that yet.
- Grab CleanRip and put it on your SD card.
- Run CleanRip on the homebrew channel.

The rest should be self-explanatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Just got a conformation email that my copy shipped.

Can not wait. It has been so long since I've been this pumped for a game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's really quite simple.

- Install the homebrew channel via letterbomb if you don't have that yet.
- Grab CleanRip and put it on your SD card.
- Run CleanRip on the homebrew channel.

The rest should be self-explanatory.

Can I do this with a USB stick? It's the only thing in a size that could fit a 9 gb iso.

Also thanks. What you wrote is about 1000x easier than any other guide I found.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I've spent about 40 hours in this game so far, and being a jrpg fan since a long time I can say it: it really is the best JRPG I've played since the snes days.
Combat is enjoyable, the setting is completely unique, environments will make your head spin. The characters are all distinct and interesting.

And this game is long. So long. But without feeling like the story drags on.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Uh, is my order from Nintendo supposed to say "backordered?" Shouldn't it have shipped?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Went and bought this in-store today based on the recommendations from this thread and the pre-order thread, have tried very hard not to learn a goddamn thing about the game itself.

YOU BETTER BE RIGHT LOUISGOD

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

I just got a raise and now have a bigger entertainment budget to work with so I'm definitely gonna pick this up today. I don't have a wii yet though, gonna wait until the semester is over for that so I don't fail all my classes playing xenoblade and endless ocean and such

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't able to pre-order so I'm going to brave the local Gamestops and pick up a copy. But not without trying to see if I can get a copy from Gamefly first.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

quote:

-When fighting enemies they will drop items. You generally want to keep these as they will be needed for quests in the game (if you choose to do them) however you will find that soon enough you'll get your inventory filled up. When this happens. You'll want to A) Sell the smaller bags that you don't have much of. Or B) Sell the bigger bags that you only perhaps have 1 or 2 of an item. As it's no major loss

Could somebody translate this tip from the OP to English for me?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MrChupon posted:

Could somebody translate this tip from the OP to English for me?

1) Enemies drop items when you kill them. Besides dropping equipment, like armour and weapons, they drop items that relate to what they are (i.e. Mechon drop robot parts, insects drop carapaces and antennae, mammals drop furs and skins, etc.)

2) It is a good idea to keep said items, because they are often used in quests--so you're saving yourself time by holding onto them.

3) Despite having a lot of inventory space, there are tonnes of items in the game and you will probably find yourself running out of storage space. These items are categorized visually as "Small Bags," which are less valuable, and "Large Bags," which are more valuable. If you have a stack of two "Broken Antennae," which are small bag items, you might as well sell them. If you have a stack of, say, 40 "Broken Antennae," they may be worth holding onto (I disagree, but that seems to be what the tip is suggesting--I'd sell them anyways). If you have a stack of one or two large bag items, you could sell those as well, as one or two of a large bag item, though more valuable than small bag items, isn't a big loss.

Personally, whenever I've run out of room I just sell off all of my small bag items. Most of them say in their description that they're useless anyways, so it's a way to make quick cash.

EDIT: also, sidequests are completely optional and tend to boil down to "collect x of y" or "kill x of y."

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 6, 2012

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I read this thread, having never heard of Xenoblade Chronicles before, and thought: "Oh this seems cool, pity it'll never be available to buy where I live, seeing as the Americans are only just getting it now.", then I saw a bunch of them for sale in my local UK supermarket, bought one with the black Classic Controller Pro and now realise that it was available FIRST in Europe. :britain: Seems like i'm late to the party on this one, but if it wasn't for this thread i'd never have attended at all!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pre-ordered at the last minute, thanks for reminding me.

Louisgod posted:

However, when I say "JRPG" don't think of stuff like Final Fantasy XIII, Resonance of Fate, or Ar Tonelico 3 (Hopefully you haven't even played this). This game was made to elevate the JRPG genre from the pit of stagnation it's been caught in. This game isn't a one way trip down a corridor, there's no random battles popping up every 5 seconds when you're walking around and it's not a game that looks like a anime with characters that go ~UGUU~. Xenoblade is a fantasy work that tries to remember why we got into RPGs in the first place while updating the genre. This means wide open explore-able environments, battles that can be fought at your own discretion and a cast of characters that don't continually make awful choices for story convenience and are actually quite likeable! Even the "mascot" character!

So it's completely different from Xenosaga games in that regard? Good, aside from the Star Ocean game, those were probably the most aggressively anime JRPGs on the PS2.

FairGame posted:

Uh, is my order from Nintendo supposed to say "backordered?" Shouldn't it have shipped?

It's still the middle of the night, they aren't going to start shipping the orders until the workday starts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unguided posted:

So it's completely different from Xenosaga games in that regard? Good, aside from the Star Ocean game, those were probably the most aggressively anime JRPGs on the PS2.

Ar Tonelico 1/2. :colbert:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Tales of the Abyss? Disgaea?
PS2 really has quite a lot of competition for "most anime title" :keke:

For content, I'm setting an alarm tomorrow to pick this up from my store the minute it opens. This is the first console game I've bought in about a year, and the first new one in several (I got massively hooked on Steam and didn't look back). The last JRPG I played was, I think, FF12. Really I thought I was done with this whole thing but Louisgod has brought me back for one last hurrah. And so...

Abugadu posted:

YOU BETTER BE RIGHT LOUISGOD

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lakitu7 posted:

Tales of the Abyss? Disgaea?
PS2 really has quite a lot of competition for "most anime title" :keke:
Ar Tonelico 2 had an "send the female party members to the hot spring/bath" minigame. With mechanical effects on combat, so you needed to do it frequently.

It is terminally anime and I regret ever touching it.

I meanwhile am simply planning to go out for breakfast at a place near the store I pre-ordered at and pick the game up on my way home whenever I wake up.

Does anybody have any non-spoilery tips for starting out?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
In Japan, are JRPG's just called RPG's?

Picking it up this morning, but don't have time to play it until Sunday. welp

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OmegaZultan posted:

The music that plays when you get in a fight with Unique Mobs is so loving metal.

You Will Know Our Names :black101:

Fitting considering all of them are named mobs.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
Today is the day the game comes out to pickup, go get your copy today

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tipme posted:

In Japan, are JRPG's just called RPG's?

In japan they talk about how everyone is angry and/or blood spattered in wrpgs

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
COME ON, GAMESTOP, OPEN ALREADY SO I CAN PICK UP MY COPY OF THIS GAME

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FairGame posted:

Very good question, since mine is saying that as well. I ordered back in late February from Nintendo, though now I kinda wish I'd gone Gamestop since apparently there's an artbook I missed out on. :argh:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
My gamestop order has said "ready for UPS" on the UPS tracker since like 4:00 PM yesterday :( Why couldn't they have just shipped it yesterday?!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zereth posted:

Ar Tonelico 2 had an "send the female party members to the hot spring/bath" minigame. With mechanical effects on combat, so you needed to do it frequently.

It is terminally anime and I regret ever touching it.

Ar Tonelico 3 got even worse. It is the most anime game, in all the bad ways.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Ar Tonelico 3 got even worse. It is the most anime game, in all the bad ways.
Ah, but it was on the PS3!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
D'oh. Missed that part.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Ar Tonelico 3 is terrible. The combat system tries to mimic the Tales/Star Ocean series, but fails miserably. Also the level of anime fanservice crap in that game is disgusting.

Giant Bomb QL for Xenoblade is up with pretty positive impressions. The video begins right when the game world starts opening up. Note: you can turn off all those HUD elements.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-xenoblade-chronicles/17-5844

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 6, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is today the day? I think it is! I don't normally purchase the same product twice, but I ended up pre-ordering the NA copy as well after completely demolishing and loving every second of the EU release. I may not even play it at all, I just wanted to send a message with my dollar bills y'all - make more games, Monolithsoft! Give them to me and you shall have all of my money!

Anyone who hasn't played it must, I repeat must play it now. Buy a Wii for it if you have to, I don't loving care. Play this loving game til your fingers wear and your eyes bleed. It will still be the most transcendent experience of your life.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I got the game yesterday and its the best jrpg (not counting portable platform) I played since Last Remnant, if you don't count the souls game as jrpg.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Had to cancel my preorder (on the day of release no less) due to my credit card getting some fraudulent charges and needing cancelled immediately. I'd caution anyone ordering direct from Nintendo to watch their statements closely, too, as Nintendo was one of the few places I've ordered from in the last few months who I don't have a history of transactions with, so they (along with a few newly opened local businesses, who are more likely to have sketchy POS practices anyway) may have been somehow tied to my card getting compromised.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Well, the guys at my Gamestop haven't gotten their copies yet. gently caress that.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
My copy that was admittedly ordered last-minute off Nintendo's site is also showing "Backordered" so I'm anticipating a multi-week wait :ohdear:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks to Mother Nature being a huge vengeful pain in the rear end that can't let us have spring without one last gently caress YOU I'm going to have to find a way to get there in the next 48 hours in possibly Winter Warning-level weather.

This had better be worth it and furthermore I can't wait to get outta this town.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't pre-ordered, but managed to get a copy put on hold for a few hours at the Gamestop located in the mall, so I'm going to head up there now and pick it up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Picked up my copy of this and a classic controller pro today. The controller is just as awkward as I always figured it would be what with there being a giant weight at the other end. Why couldn't it just have been a hollow thing I slide the wiimote into?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I pre-ordered from Nintendo the day they started taking pre-orders and my current status is backordered. I'm in no rush to play this though so I don't really mind.

Anything to avoid giving money to gamestop.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
Figured I'd put in my ten cents worth. I imported this game back in the fall and it was absolutely worth the hassle of importing and soft modding my wii (no worries I ordered a US copy too, major props to Nintendo for bringing this over here finally).

I'm currently 100 hours in (though ten or so hours are probably me wandering off without turning off the wii) and still not finished. I'm quite glad this thread came up though because it's remotivated me to pick the game back up and try to actually finish it.

Even though I didn't finish it on my first attempt to play it that's not to say that I didn't like it. I still put a hundred freaking hours into it! That's already more time than I put into most games that I do finish. And as a point of reference, before this came out I was pretty much completely burned out on JRPGs but this was enough of a breath of fresh air to pull me in. One of the things that I'm enjoying the most about it is just how differently the battles play out with different teams of characters. I find myself constantly juggling people around to experiment with different play styles for different unique monster battles and boss battles. All of the characters are "good" and I've actually enjoyed playing as pretty much all of them as my main character (yes even the healer).

I also can not stress enough how awesome it is that this game ditched annoying JRPG conventions like random battles and save points. And did I mention that the soundtrack is the best game soundtrack I've heard in ages? Oooh and that the world is huge and simple exploration is just as enjoyable as anything else in the game? Seriously, I could probably gush about this game for pages. If you haven't already preordered a copy you should do yourself a favor and go out and try to find a copy. This game is the real deal!

Edit: I definitely recommend playing with the classic controller pro (the one with the ps3 style handle things to grip). You can play it with the wiimote and nun-chuck but that seems pretty awkward to me, especially for marathon play sessions.

tomguycot fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 6, 2012

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

This Charming Man posted:

My copy that was admittedly ordered last-minute off Nintendo's site is also showing "Backordered" so I'm anticipating a multi-week wait :ohdear:

Same. The last time I bought a goon-recommended JRPG (Nier) I came away really, really unimpressed, but something prompted me to pre-order this from the Nintendo store at the last minute. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to be waiting a week or so before receiving a "sorry bro, fresh out" email from them.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Picked up my copy along with the art book... art book is decidedly less than exciting, but free is free.

Looked like they didn't get enough to cover all the pre-orders, so they made a list by date ordered and gave books to those who put down their money first, which is probably the fairest way to go about it rather than having people lose out simply because they happen to pick up the game later in the day on the actual date released.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
I feel like a kid again. Its a long weekend, a brand new AAA game is out here and I set an alarm to wake up early instead of sleeping in so I could play it sooner. Its been many years since I was last this excited for something as simple as a video game release but here we are. Wife is at work for awhile yet so I can just sit down and pretend it's the mid 90's again and I am a teenager with no real obligations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I preordered at the end of February and I'm backordered, wonder how long this is exactly. Oh well I don't even own a Wii, so no rush, just going to borrow one off someone to play this.

• Locked thread