Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

A lot of the plot is rather absurdly good vs evil

It is but it isn't. Obviously, you have Yoon Sung (Min Ho) as good and the guys behind the cover-up as evil, but there's a pretty heavy grey area surrounding all of that with the cast of characters involved and their motivations. In particular, Yoon Sung and Crazy Vengeance Dad Jin Pyo and the conflicts that rise there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Seems like a lot of these shows like to use the North-South divide as a plot point. I suppose it is a lingering topic though.

Isn't city hunter the show with Kwang Soo and Go Hara?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

Seems like a lot of these shows like to use the North-South divide as a plot point. I suppose it is a lingering topic though.

Isn't city hunter the show with Kwang Soo and Go Hara?

I wouldn't say a LOT. City Hunter starts out with the North-South divide as a starting point, but then it's not really a thing after that. It's a jumping-off point to get a secret mission happening, then to cover that mission up, then to get a dude from that mission loving hyped for revenge. North Korea doesn't know what the gently caress.

And yes, Kwangsoo and Goo Hara are in it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mean Bean Machine posted:

You can find a lot of the pre-100 episodes (like the Desert Island special, the Henry special etc), but I'm not sure it's worth it due to the image/subs quality, and the episodes aren't that great (if you still want to go for them, check ithetimes blog). After episode 100 there are a lot of great ones, and the DDD forums have subbed most of them, and if you find the main Subs List thread they collect even some they didn't sub themselves (like the New York special). It's a lot harder to watch in order than RM because it's scattered, but I've managed to find almost all episodes that hold any interest, and in order. You'll definitely love it, some of the episode concepts are fantastic and it's good to break away from RM which sometimes doesn't vary that much.

Are these streaming anywhere? I'd prefer to watch them through Dailymotion, Youtube, or any other thing I can put on my XBox.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
I just want to say that if you like gifs, I will make you gifs. I started watching IY1 because of gifs, so I hope to spread the love.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Capsaicin posted:

Are these streaming anywhere? I'd prefer to watch them through Dailymotion, Youtube, or any other thing I can put on my XBox.

There's no place like RM's iSUBS, unfortunately, but I usually prefer downloading. ithetimes blog streams a lot of episodes, but not by any kind of order, and Daebaksubs is partnered with DDD to stream the episodes they sub but only the new ones. Some episodes, like 141, you can find in Dailymotion through google, but if you want to watch all of them streaming won't be an option.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Saturday Mornings posted:

E: Why did no one tell me there's a drama called Vampire Prosecutor? And that it's not some creative translation or deeply symbolic, the show is literally about a prosecutor that's a vampire. K-drama. :allears:

Meant to say this yesterday but forgot - you have to get on this and write it up. It probably won't match my expectations of a show called Vampire Prosecutor, but it has to be pretty drat good right?

I'm up to date with Rooftop Prince, I'm using the DarkSmurfSubs at the moment as they're way ahead of WITHS2. Hoping the community effort means I can jump on this weeks episodes by the weekend as it's one twist after another right now.

In the meantime, I'll jump on Equator Man as it's also about 6 episodes through and Archer said was getting decent enough praise for it's acting at least.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: We Got Married

Finished: No, though couples come and go
Episodes: Unknown
Starring: Varies
Available: Fansubs

It should be noted for those of you not already familiar with Korean celebrities. The majority of them are not terrible wastes of life like you find in most Western celebrities, so things like reality and variety shows are actually NICE shows instead of watching trainwrecks be horrible to one another.

The premise is simple enough; Take two celebrities and put them together to play at being married. Sometimes give them missions or send them places to see how they handle things as a couple. Meanwhile, a cast of hosts and guests provide commentary as they watch the goings on.

The show features a handful of couples at any one time, and will do segments on each of them, but to find a full, subbed episode of the show is extremely rare. Fansubs typically focus on couples relating to what or who those communities already do subs for, so you'll probably end up watching one couple at a time, and never see every couple that's ever been on the show (about 24).

But that's OK, because the couples you DO see are pretty drat enjoyable to watch. Each pairing is unique and their personalities bring out the best in each other, making for some very funny (and sometimes very sweet) moments.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keep meaning to find a section of WGM that looks interesting to give it a go, it's a fun concept and sounds like it'll be entertaining. Will look up my resources and find a couple that have a good fansub base and isn't going to be a nightmare to complete the set of.

Watched half of the first episode of Equator Man last night in bed, decent enough so far. I'll give it a few episodes then do a write up of it. I've also got the first half of Wild Romance which has recently finished, the beginning of Heartstrings and I might grab an older show like Winter Sonata or Stairway to Heaven as most of the talked about ones are more recent, and I remember hearing good things about those years ago.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
If it's an idol couple, you can find a fansub for them.

Since I adored Victoria on Invincible Youth, I went straight for Khuntoria Couple and found some decent subs for them. Nichkhun and Victoria are so loving adorable together I was to punch myself in the face.

Right now I'm watching Adam Couple (Jo Kwon and Ga-in), and they start out a bit rougher, but it's still pretty enjoyable. The subs I found are also a bit rough, with sections of dialogue and text left untranslated, but the message gets across. They also have the longest run out of any couples on the show, so there's plenty to watch.

But I doubt I'm going to love them as much as Khuntoria.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Khuntoria is my favorite couple as well. They just look so good together. Also, their Korean is extremely good (much better than Amber's, for example), but it still has that cute awkwardness/foreignness to it that makes the couple dialogue just so :3:

Not sure if that carries over through subs but I'm sure it's part of the charm.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It kind of comes across in the subs I watched, but I don't think it was ever really prominent with either of them for it to really be noticeable in subs or in dialogue.

But I love them. Probably one of the few times in my life where I would see a girl I'm totally into and actively root for her to be with someone who is NOT me. Besides, that leaves me free to be on WGM with 2NE1. They do that, right? Let nobodies from America be in fake marriages with 4 girls at the same time? BECAUSE THEY SHOULD. :mad:

Also I don't know what the general Korean opinion is on gagwomen, but Kim Na Young is totally gorgeous.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Jamesman posted:

Also I don't know what the general Korean opinion is on gagwomen, but Kim Na Young is totally gorgeous.

She is and also has an insane body and was in a WGM of her own. She's also genuinely funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yau-4Ogao9w

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Jamesman posted:

She absolutely is, but she's a gagwoman, so ugh, she's actually ugly and gross.

WGM is just pure distilled loveliness. Even though reality shows are mostly unscripted, there still has to be some involvement by scriptwriters and post editing. WGM may have just as much as any other show, but from actually watching it, it just seems like a show that creates itself.

No one's mentioned the YongSeo couple yet. I've watched bits of the Khuntoria and Adam couple, but nothing comes close to the d'aaaaaaw from the YongSeo couple. Seeing them start off so awkward, but ending up with an undeniable closeness is just beautiful to watch.

e: Speaking of shows that create themselves, the Infinity news special has been subbed. The first 8 minutes or so is just the cast pissing about and cracking each other up. It's glorious.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 10, 2012

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
What's a gagwoman? I can't find a definition of it anywhere.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL

futurememory posted:

What's a gagwoman? I can't find a definition of it anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it's like a Korean female comedian.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, gagman/gagwoman is just a term for comedian.

Killing me that Korean TV caps seem to be high profile x264 within an AVI container. As they are, my Apple TV chokes on them so no bedroom watching unless I have the laptop out. Use MKV you fools!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gagmen/gagwomen are funny people. They're not comedians in the sense that they do stand-up and have comedy specials like your George Carlins and Carrot Tops, nor do they get lovely sitcoms where they play versions of themselves and their names are the show's titles.

They're pretty witty and seem to do lots of physical/prop comedy, and you usually find them as hosts or co-hosts for variety shows or comic relief characters in dramas.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Gagmen/gagwomen are funny people. They're not comedians in the sense that they do stand-up and have comedy specials like your George Carlins and Carrot Tops, nor do they get lovely sitcoms where they play versions of themselves and their names are the show's titles.
It's depressing but true to say that, at least as compared to the UK, female comedians in Korea seem to get a much better shake.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

sharktamer posted:

No one's mentioned the YongSeo couple yet. I've watched bits of the Khuntoria and Adam couple, but nothing comes close to the d'aaaaaaw from the YongSeo couple. Seeing them start off so awkward, but ending up with an undeniable closeness is just beautiful to watch.

Agreeing with this. I'm a fan of a lot of WGM as well. I've seen all of Pudding Couple and Khuntoria Couple and am currently watching WooJung Couple. But none of these even come close to the adorableness of YongSeo (Sweet Potato) Couple. It just seemed so freaking genuine to me because Seohyun literally doesn't know how to act fake. I don't feel like either of them ever try and fake romantic feelings for each other (although it does seem like Yonghwa probably did end up liking her), and more about watching her do couple-type activities for the first time in her life. It also didn't hurt that Yonghwa is such an awesome dude (as evidenced by his appearances on RM).

I mean he wrote at least 2 songs for her, both of which are pretty good! And she took up guitar lessons so she could play one of them back for him! Awww.

ChevyY?
May 11, 2006

He may be small but only in size.
Ah, Jelly and Pudding. I'll watch anything with Taeyeon in it. It's too bad her counterpart wasn't the best choice for the show. Khuntoria and YongSeo are definitely the frontrunners in terms of looks and chemistry. Having said that, if Yoona (SNSD) and Taecyeon (2PM) are ever a couple, they'd take the prize easily.

Also, even though it's cancelled, Family Outing deserves a mention. That was my favorite Korean variety show after Running Man. Especially the first season.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Soshified just finished subbing the most recent episode of Let's Go Dream Team SNSD was on, if anyone's interested. Personally I'm always amused at how quickly people throw away their idol image as soon as some competition is involved.

Selane
May 19, 2006

ChevyY? posted:

Ah, Jelly and Pudding. I'll watch anything with Taeyeon in it. It's too bad her counterpart wasn't the best choice for the show. Khuntoria and YongSeo are definitely the frontrunners in terms of looks and chemistry.

Hey, I found the dailymotion channel with all of YongSeo's episodes that have been subbed(71 just went up), and that channel actually has all the old ones with Taeyeon as well. So if anyone wants to watch those from the beginning, there you go.

When Khuntoria was airing, I was really watching random speedsubs so I don't know a good place to find the majority of those episodes in one spot, unless someone else has some suggestions.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Selane posted:

Soshified just finished subbing the most recent episode of Let's Go Dream Team SNSD was on, if anyone's interested. Personally I'm always amused at how quickly people throw away their idol image as soon as some competition is involved.
I'm sure from those screencaps that i've already seen this subbed somewhere. Most likely not in as good quality subs as Soshified turns out, though - it's probably worth another watch for me.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Raeg posted:

Started watching Rooftop Prince thanks to this thread and really enjoy it.

What else could be recommended as a drama with a kind of comedic/light touch to it?

If you like Rooftop then I'm sure you'd like Secret Garden. My Girlfriend is a 9-Tailed Fox is sweet as well. Other rom-coms are good but had major flaws (of the ones I've seen). I'd say poke around Hulu and browse through the popular ones.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Corn Thongs posted:

If you like Rooftop then I'm sure you'd like Secret Garden. My Girlfriend is a 9-Tailed Fox is sweet as well. Other rom-coms are good but had major flaws (of the ones I've seen). I'd say poke around Hulu and browse through the popular ones.

Ooh, I forgot to mention Secret Garden. Yeah, both are fantasy-related romcoms. SG is about an arrogant and a bit eccentric CEO (Hyunbin) and a poor but beautiful & talented stuntwoman (Ha Jiwon). The two start swapping bodies with each other (IE: Jiwon's soul/consciousness is in Hyunbin's body & vice versa). Haven't watched it because of my drama backlog, but holy jesus was it a craze. I think I've seen all the major scenes parodied on various TV shows now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
You have Iris in the "ongoing series" section, but it's finished.

Drama Spotlight: Road No.1

Finished: Yes
Episodes: 20
Starring: So Ji Sub, Yoon Kye Sang, Kim Ha Neul
Available: Viki, Hulu, Netflix

A pretty intense series taking place over the first year of the Korean War, the show centers around Lee Jang Woo and Kim Soo Yeon. Jang Woo and his father worked as servants for Soo Yeon's family since he was a little boy, and has always loved her. As they grew up, she returned his love.

In order for her to become a doctor and for them to get married and have a family, Jang Woo enlists in the army to earn money. But after she finds out he's been killed in action (and the very much NOT dead Jang Woo unaware of this report), she draws the eye of another soldier, Shin Tae Ho, and eventually the two agree to get married.

But then the NOT dead (and soon-to-be discharged) Jang Woo returns home to find out all of this, and Soo Yeon is now in the middle of two men. Oh, and then war full-on breaks out at their doorstep. In order to protect her, Jang Woo remains in the army, now serving with the scorned Tae Ho.

The paths of the soldiers and the refugees (Soo Yeon) quickly diverge, and so the show ends up following their separate stories as Jang Woo and Tao Ho continue to fight the North (and each other) and try to reunite with Soo Yeon, and Soo Yeon struggles to survive in the world collapsing around her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It looks like MBC plans to cancel We Got Married, since the ongoing labor strike has put new episodes on indefinite hold.

Now I'll never get fixed up with 2NE1. :cry:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jamesman posted:

It looks like MBC plans to cancel We Got Married, since the ongoing labor strike has put new episodes on indefinite hold.

Now I'll never get fixed up with 2NE1. :cry:

I don't know anything about the politics and the way their entertainment industry is run, but if the strike were to get resolved at some point down the line, couldn't they just start up the show again? It's fairly popular right?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Really disappointing if true. I was going to make a post today about how while the obvious draw of WGM is the idol/celebrity couples, the show wouldn't be as entertaining as it is without the studio team, their reactions/comments are great and I really enjoy them as a group.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Lyer posted:

I don't know anything about the politics and the way their entertainment industry is run, but if the strike were to get resolved at some point down the line, couldn't they just start up the show again? It's fairly popular right?

To me it sounds like MBC is trying to turn the screws on the strikers, since this probably lets MBC fire some of them at least. I've got no idea. The strike is about political corruption of news agencies so things could be pretty hairy behind the curtain.

In other happy Korean TV news, the CEO of one of the idol/actor agencies got arrested a few days ago for being accused of ~30 sexual assaults and rapes against people who worked for his company, and his lawyer immediately made a statement threatening legal action against the media for libel because he only admits to 6 rapes. Also 2 of the ones he admits to were underage girls. Oh entertainment industries, never change. :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have grabbed Season 1 of We Got Married complete, finally a show I can watch in bed because the ATV doesn't choke on it.

Already within about 10 minutes Seo In-Young is confirming from what I saw in Heroes episode 1- she's a pain in the rear end. Probably the only idol so far on any show I've not liked. Hoping it's just an act!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Revenant Threshold posted:

I'm sure from those screencaps that i've already seen this subbed somewhere. Most likely not in as good quality subs as Soshified turns out, though - it's probably worth another watch for me.

Soshified have an irritating habit of releasing redundant subs. The YongSeo WGM saga has been completed with quality subs for quite some time, but soshified still insist on subbing it themselves despite being quite a ways off from finishing it. It's a shame since there are quite a few variety appearances of the girls that still remain unsubbed.

T. Couchfucker posted:

Really disappointing if true. I was going to make a post today about how while the obvious draw of WGM is the idol/celebrity couples, the show wouldn't be as entertaining as it is without the studio team, their reactions/comments are great and I really enjoy them as a group.

I honestly forgot all about the studio cast when I was reminiscing in my previous post. They have a really great selection in the adorable NaYoung, half of 2AM, who are up there with the funniest idol groups and of course provided priceless commentary on the Adam couple and the fantastic Park Misun, I'm not sure who the older guy is, but he's awesome too. The dynamic is perfect, with the younger cast giving an idea on dating nowadays and the older cast remembering their younger years when they were dating.

WGM really is just a magical show all round.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I know that 1n2d stopped filming in support of the strike but what shows are directly produced by MBC that would be affected by the strike?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 13, 2012

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Sacro posted:

In other happy Korean TV news, the CEO of one of the idol/actor agencies got arrested a few days ago for being accused of ~30 sexual assaults and rapes against people who worked for his company, and his lawyer immediately made a statement threatening legal action against the media for libel because he only admits to 6 rapes. Also 2 of the ones he admits to were underage girls. Oh entertainment industries, never change. :allears:

The best part of this is that no one wants to talk about it. Like this thread, there are more immediately entertaining subjects, like why the stream of entertaining hot chicks has stopped.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Has anyone watched "Light and Shadow"? I don't really know much about it, but I'll get into it if it's any good. Put simply, Narsha is Narsha.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

sharktamer posted:

Has anyone watched "Light and Shadow"? I don't really know much about it, but I'll get into it if it's any good. Put simply, Narsha is Narsha.

Period drama set in 1960's Korea during the height of the Vietnam War. If that sounds like something you'd be into then check it out. Narsha's character was not intended to be a recurring one but her one time appearance was really well received so they actually wrote her into the show.

SYFY HYPHY posted:

The best part of this is that no one wants to talk about it. Like this thread, there are more immediately entertaining subjects, like why the stream of entertaining hot chicks has stopped.

Apparently he was forcing male trainees to rape female ones, it's all really vile and depressing.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sharktamer posted:

I wrote up a blurb about it on the first page. It's getting good reviews, and apparently, it's not too disorienting to jump in and start watching from the middle or something. It's holding the top spot in the ratings for that time slot, so it's probably an indication of its quality. The main cast are very good actors/actresses, and Narsha has been getting favorable reviews as well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone besides me watched Road No.1? I'm also curious how our resident Korean citizens felt regarding its accuracy or lack thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

So with watching Iris/Athena, I heard that there was going to be a second season for Iris last year, but I don't think anything even materialized. What the hell happened? :(

• Locked thread