Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
"Manhwa" is the term given to korean comics and can be considered the equivalent to a Japanese manga. There are a number of really awesome and totally underrated manhwa out there and the purpose of this thread is to give more exposure to them beyond mixing them in with the shounen/seinen threads. The other reason for this thread is to set up a home for the Korean-original comic style known as the webcomic or webtoon. These differ from manga in that they are designed in a one long page formant and most importantly, are in full color!

Now because the source material for these is obviously Korean, there are different honorifics used and having an good idea of what they are can make reading them flow much easier (but they don't seem to give any help in figuring out genders... Thanks ToG).

Stolen from Easy Going scans:

Oppa: A friendly way of addressing an older man or an older brother near your age if you are a girl.
Unni: A friendly way of addressing an older girl or an older sister near your age if you are a girl.
Nuna: A friendly way of addressing an older girl or an older sister near your age if you are a guy.
Hyung: A friendly way of addressing an older man or an older brother near your age if you are a guy.
Ajumma: Older woman around mid/late 30’s-early 50s. If you call a younger woman Ajumma is rather offensive.
Ajussi: Older man around mid/late 30’s-early 50’s. Korean men , especially those in their 30’s, prefer to be called hyung/oppa by those younger than them rather than ajussi.
Sunbae: Is used to address senior colleagues, classmates or mentor figures. For example students referring to more senior students in school as Sunbae. (Same as senpai in Japanese)
Hubae: Is used to refer to juniors. Might be a junior colleague or a classmate. For example students referring to younger students in school as Hubae. (Same as Kohai in Japanese)
Naeri: Was used by commoners in the Joseon Dynasty to refer to people of higher status but bellow “His Excellency”.
Seonsaeng: Commonly translated as “teacher” has more formality and is used to show respect to the addressee. (Same as the Japanese honorific Sensei)
Nim: a formal respectful way of addressing someone older than you.
Ssi: a formal way of addressing someone you do not know or are unfamiliar with.

Now onto the manhwa:

Shin Angyo Onshi:

This is definitely the best manhwa out there, and it's completed. It's one of my favorites of all time and if you haven't read it yet you are missing out. It's seinen so expect a lot of very detailed blood and guts. Anyway, here's the description according to mangareader:

"Jushin, which is modelled after feudal Korea. In Jushin, there once lived secret government agents called angyo onshi, who traveled the countryside in disguise. They were charged by the king to find and punish corrupt government officials, and bring justice to the country's citizens. Jushin has been destroyed, fractured into numerous fiefdoms and kingdoms, many of which are ruled by corrupt and tyrannical warlords. Shin Angyo Onshi follows the adventures of one of the remaining angyo onshi, Munsu, as he continues to wander the countryside and deals with the chaos caused by Jushin's fall. ong ago, in Jushin, special secret agents named "Angyo Onshi" wandered the country and restored the order. But now that Jushin is destroyed, only one is still wandering..."

Yureka:

"Jang Kun, Gwon Su, Woon Suk are average kids with average problems, but in the virtual world of Lost Saga, they go by the alias:user name Lotto, Boromir and Ah-Dol; they're heroes of the master class level or more so infamous troublemakers . They could become legends...if they can stop bickering long enough to level up. So whether it's werewolves running rampant or a gorgeous pair of thieves looking for revenge, our boys must be ready for anything.

Then one day Jang Kun, Lotto's real life self encounters a mysterious girl around his age, and ends up with her game card. What will he end up doing with it, and even furthermore how does it even connect with his gaming console? Is this more then what it seem to be, the mysterious game card with the name Yureka on it."

Yureka has been around for a long time (209+ chapters translated) and can be quite a bit confusing and frustrating at times, but overall it's probably the most well made MMO manhwa/manga out there.

Witch Hunter:

I've read this one and while I like what it's done so far, I have no idea what the latest arc is trying to accomplish and the author is making things unnecessarily complicated. Here's a description from Batoto:

"Witches suddenly declare war against humans, causing two-thirds of the world to fall apart. They summon monsters called "Supporters" and devastate human residences... but why?
Survivors gather people with the power to combat the witches and called them Witch Hunters! Tasha Godspell is one of the strongest nicknamed "The Marksman" along with his "Jack-O-Lantern" looking Supporter. He fights the witches but cannot really bring himself to hate them."

Id:

"We find Chunwha in a world beyond his own... There he will struggle to find his own purpose among the many inhabitants of the new world including elves, dwarves, and even mages! As we watch him grow in strength and spirit, the manhwaga creates fascinating characters out of his companions and adversaries and moves past the simple concept of the antagonist vs the protagonist.
To find out what fate has in store for our hero, follow Id in a fantastic adventure, exploring a world where anything is possible!"

I haven't read this one yet because for the longest time, the scans looked like someone photocopied tree bark but looking at the early chapters, the quality has increased a whole lot. It seems to be a bit generic and cliche, but done in an interesting and appealing way so I really need to read it. And so do you!

Veritas:

"Gangryong is a high schooler unlike others. He has always had a dream of being the strongest. One day he meets Youcheon, who teaches him a powerful skill. One year later, people come to see him and announce that his "master" is dead. Because he was his only student, Gangryong has to follow them and go to a school where everybody has supernatural powers to fight."

Veritas is my absolute favorite manhwa. It's basically has a cast of complete arrogant assholes from top to bottom and the art is absolutely gorgeous. The battle scenes are done so well that it's a tragedy that it was cancelled... Please, PLEASE read this because you'll be glad you did but I warn you, the ending is rushed and I still don't know what to make of it because of the aforementioned cancelling.

The Breaker:

"The new English teacher, Chun-Woo, is not your ordinary teacher. Shioon, a victim of constant bullying, unexpectedly witnesses Chun-Woo's fighting power, and begs him to make him his disciple. Chun-Woo claims he can teach Shioon only if he is truly determined, and Shioon must jump off a bridge into a deep river in order to prove it!

It turns out, however, that Chun-Woo and his powers are more than meets the eye. Shioon makes a grand entrance into the hidden world of martial arts, and he is about to be taught by the best there is!"

The Breaker is the source of inspiration for the thread title and is a lot like Veritas, but in my opinion and most of the other goons who read it, it's inferior to Veritas. The Breaker - New Waves is the continuation of the first story, but has been mostly a letdown so far but I think it's gotten to the point where it'll return to the quality of the original.

Dark Mage:

"Once... Humans and Orcs peacefully co-existed, but at some point humans got greedy and started a war claiming the Orcs` territory. The diety-Lord who created all, got angry with the humans` greed and decided to punish them with 3 catastrophes. One of them was the Dragons, divine creatures blessed with magic capable of doing almost anything. Now the Orcs, with a Dragon by their side, seem to have the upper hand. Will humans just sit back and see their land get destroyed? They are too devious for that... Their only good plan at that point is to abduct a Dragon to even things up. But how are they going to manage the capture of a being with so much power?"

Dark Mage is pretty awesome so far and it has a TON of potential. The main character's a freakin' hunchback and he still kicks all kinds of rear end!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, onto the Webcomics:

Pnumoman, I want to quote you here because I wanted to add a bit of information about Naver and the artists of the web comics.

pnumoman posted:

Also, please note that most of the webtoons, this one included, are done by professionals that are paid by the site that hosts them. The major site they're on is naver.com, Korea's #1 web portal (or so it was last time I checked). Usually the translators are good about providing a goo.gl link to the raw webtoon; when they do, I highly suggest going and giving the original creator a pageview or two. It is a quick, low effort way of legitimately supporting the creator, so don't be a dick and do it if you like the work!

As far as I am aware, the artists are paid by the number of views that their comic gets or by their rating (I would like some clarification on this) so if you would like to show your appreciation to them, please find and take a look at the comics in their raw format on Naver. Easy Going Scans translates a majority of the webcomics out there and whenever you click on the links they have on their site, you are linked to not only the translated chapter hosted by egscans, but also the raw chapter on naver. If at all possible, please use this method to read the chapters because it's a quick and easy way to support the authors, like pnomuman said above! Also, if you go to a webcomic's main page on Batoto, a link is given to the raw comic so that's another way to easily find the korean version without sifting through piles of moonrunes or browser translations.

Tower of God has its own thread so please check it out there!

Noblesse:

"For 820 years he had slumbered with no knowledge of mankind's advancement and scientific progress. The land which he once knew has become an unfamiliar place with new technology, attitudes, and lifestyles. Upon awakening, Cadis Etrama Di Raizel (aka Rai), seeks to familiarize himself with this era. He locates a loyal servant of his, Frankenstein, who is currently the principal of a South Korean High School. Rai decides that this school is the perfect place to help him learn about the modern world, enrolls, and begins associating a group of good-natured students in order to 'blend in'. But this new world is no safer than the old; and the dignified, bewildered, technologically inept Rai finds himself embroiled in adventures both ridiculous and dangerous."

Noblesse is probably the most well known webcomic, as it has 230 chapters out so far. Naturally, it is one of the best and is a must-read if you like the webcomic format. It's extremely shounen and there's tons and tons of fights so you won't be disappointed in any way.

Trace:

"The story set in the contemporary South Korea. Some 30 years ago, unidentified creatures appeared out of nowhere and have attacked people. They have caused massive destruction wherever they go. The monsters are called "Trouble", and get the world have fallen into chaos. Along with the first appearance of the "Troubles", some number of humans were born with or acquired supernatural abilities. These mutants called "Trace" are the only ones who can fight off the "Trouble". The "Trace" are also considered freaks and generally shunned by the community because some of them misused the powers for their own interest.

The plot revolves around two main characters. Sa Ghang-gwon, a high school student born as a "Trace" who attempts to hide his ability. The other is Kim Yun-sung, who acquired his "Trace" abilities during his early 30s. Soon after the acquisition, his wife and daughter were taken away from him for experimental purposes."

The jury seems to be out on Trace. Since it was the very first webcomic I read, I tend to hold it in a high regard and I thoroughly enjoyed it beginning to end. I would absolutely recommend this to any fan of shounen because of how unique and original it is. It's technically completed, but there's a sequel that recently started but it's been quite a bit different so far. See Trace 1.5 if you're interested.

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

"A teenager decides to enroll in a Martial Arts High school so he can learn how to defend himself and not get bullied anymore. But the school he chosen to enroll is not like all other typical martial arts schools and he will soon be caught up by a surprise…!"

This is one of the up and coming webcomics and I hear it keeps getting better and better. Hopefully it can be translated on a consistent basis. This one's pretty much a must read, so get on it!

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Knight Run:

It's the future, mankind has lots of worlds aliens are invading and slowly destroying mankinds worlds. The aliens have these super alien's that just kind of destroy everything they touch so human's started the knight program which was to make humans with the capability of fighting these super aliens. The story covers 2 knights that are best friends and are the currently the strongest two knights despite their young age and are feared for their power by the very same government that uses them.

Personally I really like it and it is one of the few Korean Sci-fi's it seems to draw alot from other stories but check it out.

30+ translated over 100+ in raws.

pnumoman posted:

Girls of the Wilds

An all-girl's high school has admitted their first male student, and he happens to be a dude raising twins on his own. Did I mention that this high school is an elite fighting high school that holds a world-renowned fighting tournament? This is a story you've seen a million times, and let's be frank, this webtoon really hits all the cliches: a harem vibe, tragic hero, tsundere heroine, cute girl with completely unexplained catgirl ears, beatdowns, etc. BUT it has gorgeous, full color art, nicely fleshed out characters, and the fighting scenes are well done.

All in all, a highly derivative comic that is excellently executed.

KissWood (completed)

"Sul is a gardener living in the heart of a city - a veritable concrete jungle. He is an avid gardener and his yard is filled with rare plants which he tends with loving care. The townsfolk object to his practices and set his garden on fire, claiming that the plants are 'dangerous'. Sul is blinded in the blaze and admitted to a hospital, where he promptly lapses into a coma. While his niece anxiously awaits his revival, Sul finds himself trapped in a world full of many and varied trees; the likes of which he had never seen before. A world that, at first glance, appears to be his ideal utopia. But he soon discovers that there is unmistakeable cruelty lurking beneath the facade of beauty and tranquility..."

Magician (100+ chapters)

"In the village of Adatt, [Iremi], the tomboy granddaughter of a local witch, sees the infamous mage [Edermask] en route to her hometown. Wanting to find out who is stronger, she sets off to challenge him with her childhood friend [Enzu], a novice swordsman who is always being dragged around wherever she goes… However in the background there is a war going on between the two powerful nations Teodorl and Aleumhan in order to rule the sea!"

Paladin (40+ chapters)

"The country of Greenland, after losing the war to the Imperial Army, were in agony and despair for what will the future bring them. They had hired mercenaries to help them during the war and now they’ve come back to collect their reward while the country were still picking up their pieces of their broken dreams. By that time, the King has passed away and his heir was still too young to take up on the throne. After hearing the news of the King’s death the mercenaries decided to take over the throne and rule in his place. But there was an obstacle in their way... The Oracle!"

Ssen Nom (20+ chapters)

This one your average high school fighting comic but the art and action is extremely well done.

TAL (40+ chapters)

"They walk like ordinary people, they talk like ordinary people but in fact there is nothing ordinary about them since they can materialize an image they have on their mind... They call themselves Chachaoong which also means Shaman and they do not know how or when they came to this world. It is now a time for their current king to choose the future one and so he did by choosing Yu Jin an ordinary human...? Many of the Chachaoong can not tolerate a human ruling them and now the poor Yu Jin not knowing what suddenly hit him, is trying to avoid the Chachaoongs who are trying to kill him!"

The God of High School (50+ chapters)

"While an island half-disappears from the face of the earth, a mysterious organization is sends out invitations for a tournament to every skilled fighter in the world. “If you win you can have ANYTHING you want.” they claim.

They’re recruiting only the best to fight the best and claim the title of The God of High School!"

Transfer Student Storm Bringer (60+ chapters)

"Ju Ingong (which literally translates to Main character) has been terrifying all his schoolmates in every school he has been so far. He has one extremely scary face type and whoever lays his eyes on him thinks he is a BAMF. Although… is he really?"

Yeah, this is basically Angel Densetsu all over again, but it's fun nonetheless.

Kubera (60+ chapters)

"A girl with a god's name, Kubera. The god who's prophesied to bring great change into the world.
The story begins with Kubera in a remote mountain village with her family, But her life turns upside down as she witnesses the fiery end to her town and everyone she knows. Accompanied by a magician of riddles, watch as world trembles at the war against the gods."

ppp posted:

God of Bath

It's about working in a bath house and competing in the back scrubbing tournament, which is apparently a big deal. Only 2 chapters translated so far.
http://i.imgur.com/8pZQQ.jpg (too tall to thumbnail)

OneDeadman posted:

I posted this once before in the Shojo/Romance thread, but it bears repeating.

Annarasumnara

It's a short but sweet drama about a girl who is living with just her little sister ,whose dream was to be a magician when she was little, who meets a mysterious man who is calling himself a magician who lives in an old abandoned amusement park. It's mostly black and white with color here and there. It also uses a mixture of drawn stuff with papercraft and actual objects and way it all adds up leads to some awe-inspiring moments.

Also, there's this dude

It's a punpun thing

EDIT:also made by the person who does God of Bath weirdly enough.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Nowhere Boy

History's most popular reality game show has finally found him: The World's Unhappiest Person. As their prize for proving they are at an absolute psychological nadir, they are offered any one wish.

Seriously, anything. You might ask, how can they back that up? Because God, that's why.

Seriously.

Anyway, here's a shock, he wishes to die. Actually, the exact way he words it, God now has to destroy the world. Problem! To solve this, God arranges for the seventh-happiest* person in the world, as determined by a less depressing competition, to become the young man's homeroom teacher. Between her love and understanding of young men's manwha, and a crack team of interesting characters** undercover as students, she will make the eponymous Nowhere Boy become happy and retract his wish! Or God will destroy everything.

* Everyone ahead of her in line is disqualified for either dying, becoming less happy, or being committed.

** REDACTED

Gearhead posted:

Immortal Regis and its sequel Cavalier of the Abyss

Starting off with Immortal Regis...

Jae Hyuk is your average teenage guy with some family-related problems that get seriously sidetracked when he gets killed by a monster from another world, turned into a zombie, and carried off back home with her. It has definite shounen overtones, with a big school filled with crazies of various shades. And then about halfway through everything gets turned slightly off kilter, and keeps getting worse until everything explodes.

I have a hard time explaining Immortal Regis properly in that it's short (only 44 chapters) and takes such a strange and unexpected tangent, the best I can say is that it just might be a cautionary tale about trying to treat a fantasy world like an RPG.

Cavalier of the Abyss follows a 20 year timeskip...

Earth now hangs in the sky of the other world, with a quarter of it blasted to hell. The world is being run by an undead superman who calls himself Nex and dresses like Sol Badguy. The main character wants to murder the poo poo out of Nex and is, himself, another living dead guy.

What went wrong? Hell if I know. Yet.

Everything that went wrong in Immortal Regis led to this, but the writer likes to trickle the information on what happened in those 20 years only sparingly. We haven't gotten the whole story, just flashbacks to major events in the memories of returning characters. It replaces a chunk of the shounen 'level grinding' of the first series with court intrigue and Nex being a colossal rear end in a top hat for not immediately obvious reasons. (To M. Bison levels of 'For you it was the worst day of your life, but for me it was Tuesday.')

Why do I like it? I like it because the artist is drat good (holy crap, he uses a pen for contour shading instead of slapping screentone on everything!) and the plot does a great job of feeling like a runaway train. Nobody in the story is a big enough mastermind to pull off looking like they have any ability to really grab hold of events at all.

Well, that's what I have so far. If there are other manhwas or webcomics that you guys think should be added please post them and maybe write up a short summary or your opinion on it and I'll add it to the OP! Same goes if you think any changes should be made, just let me know.

Reiche fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I may as well get it started as a new chapter of The Breaker - New Waves is out.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Nice title.

I hate how special arts extreme something something high school is apparently actually good, cuz I really can't get past that drooling. So disgusting

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Great OP

Here is one more

Knight Run - It's the future, mankind has lots of worlds aliens are invading and slowly destroying mankinds worlds. The aliens have these super alien's that just kind of destroy everything they touch so human's started the knight program which was to make humans with the capability of fighting these super aliens. The story covers 2 knights that are best friends and are the currently the strongest two knights despite their young age and are feared for their power by the very same government that uses them.

Personally I really like it and it is one of the few Korean Sci-fi's it seems to draw alot from other stories but check it out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Let me tell you why Geukji High is so good.

There's a cat named Oscar de la Hoya who tries to gently caress a motorcycle, a boy gets Goku hair from a handshake, and his powers are going to be unlocked by a massage chair that runs on a Harley-Davidson engine.

Also a girl fights a bear.

And we're only five chapters in.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Great OP

Here is one more

Knight Run - It's the future, mankind has lots of worlds aliens are invading and slowly destroying mankinds worlds. The aliens have these super alien's that just kind of destroy everything they touch so human's started the knight program which was to make humans with the capability of fighting these super aliens. The story covers 2 knights that are best friends and are the currently the strongest two knights despite their young age and are feared for their power by the very same government that uses them.

Ooooh, I did not know about this one, thanks! Adding it to the OP now.

Dickeye posted:

There's a cat named Oscar de la Hoya who tries to gently caress a motorcycle, a boy gets Goku hair from a handshake, and his powers are going to be unlocked by a massage chair that runs on a Harley-Davidson engine.

You're in luck! Chapters 6 and 7 are out too!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Girls of the Wilds - An all-girl's high school has admitted their first male student, and he happens to be a dude raising twins on his own. Did I mention that this high school is an elite fighting high school that holds a world-renowned fighting tournament? This is a story you've seen a million times, and let's be frank, this webtoon really hits all the cliches: a harem vibe, tragic hero, tsundere heroine, cute girl with completely unexplained catgirl ears, beatdowns, etc. BUT it has gorgeous, full color art, nicely fleshed out characters, and the fighting scenes are well done.

Also, please note that most of the webtoons, this one included, are done by professionals that are paid by the site that hosts them. The major site they're on is naver.com, Korea's #1 web portal (or so it was last time I checked). Usually the translators are good about providing a goo.gl link to the raw webtoon; when they do, I highly suggest going and giving the original creator a pageview or two. It is a quick, low effort way of legitimately supporting the creator, so don't be a dick and do it if you like the work!

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
god of bath- It's about working in a bath house and competing in the back scrubbing tournament, which is apparently a big deal. Only 2 chapters translated so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Id has a comically grandiose story, but it is really super moves. Nothing but super move after super move, frequently in rapid succession.

God of High School is really, really dumb when it tries to be serious, but when it tries to be funny it is quite good.

Knight Run was cursed for a long time by incoherent translations. Even now I'm not sure that every chapter has been decently translated.

Magician is so incredibly slow-paced that I can't quite manage to care about any of what happens.

TAL is painfully generic. It has nothing to recommend itself over any other fighting manwha.

Paladin has thus far been made up of arcs that have nothing to do with each other and precious little to do with the main character. It isn't half bad, though.

I couldn't continue Yureka after an early chapter about one of the main characters' proclivity for hitting on an npc in a MMO. I've known people like that, and I have no interest in reading about a fictional version.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I posted this once before in the Shojo/Romance thread, but it bears repeating.

Annarasumnara - It's a short but sweet drama about a girl who is living with just her little sister ,whose dream was to be a magician when she was little, who meets a mysterious man who is calling himself a magician who lives in an old abandoned amusement park. It's mostly black and white with color here and there. It also uses a mixture of drawn stuff with papercraft and actual objects and way it all adds up leads to some awe-inspiring moments.

Also, there's this dude

It's a punpun thing

EDIT:also made by the person who does God of Bath weirdly enough.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Missing from the OP: Nowhere Boy

History's most popular reality game show has finally found him: The World's Unhappiest Person. As their prize for proving they are at an absolute psychological nadir, they are offered any one wish.

Seriously, anything. You might ask, how can they back that up? Because God, that's why.

Seriously.

Anyway, here's a shock, he wishes to die. Actually, the exact way he words it, God now has to destroy the world. Problem! To solve this, God arranges for the seventh-happiest* person in the world, as determined by a less depressing competition, to become the young man's homeroom teacher. Between her love and understanding of young men's manwha, and a crack team of interesting characters** undercover as students, she will make the eponymous Nowhere Boy become happy and retract his wish! Or God will destroy everything.

* Everyone ahead of her in line is disqualified for either dying, becoming less happy, or being committed.

** REDACTED

Dickeye posted:

Thank you for not spoiling the homeroom teacher, I think he's the most incredible part. :h:

Everyone read Gekuji High. It honestly does make some successful jokes about the fighting high school genre.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Also missing from the OP: Immortal Regis and its sequel Cavalier of the Abyss

Starting off with Immortal Regis...

Jae Hyuk is your average teenage guy with some family-related problems that get seriously sidetracked when he gets killed by a monster from another world, turned into a zombie, and carried off back home with her. It has definite shounen overtones, with a big school filled with crazies of various shades. And then about halfway through everything gets turned slightly off kilter, and keeps getting worse until everything explodes.

I have a hard time explaining Immortal Regis properly in that it's short (only 44 chapters) and takes such a strange and unexpected tangent, the best I can say is that it just might be a cautionary tale about trying to treat a fantasy world like an RPG.

Cavalier of the Abyss follows a 20 year timeskip...

Earth now hangs in the sky of the other world, with a quarter of it blasted to hell. The world is being run by an undead superman who calls himself Nex and dresses like Sol Badguy. The main character wants to murder the poo poo out of Nex and is, himself, another living dead guy.

What went wrong? Hell if I know. Yet.

Everything that went wrong in Immortal Regis led to this, but the writer likes to trickle the information on what happened in those 20 years only sparingly. We haven't gotten the whole story, just flashbacks to major events in the memories of returning characters. It replaces a chunk of the shounen 'level grinding' of the first series with court intrigue and Nex being a colossal rear end in a top hat for not immediately obvious reasons. (To M. Bison levels of 'For you it was the worst day of your life, but for me it was Tuesday.')

Why do I like it? I like it because the artist is drat good (holy crap, he uses a pen for contour shading instead of slapping screentone on everything!) and the plot does a great job of feeling like a runaway train. Nobody in the story is a big enough mastermind to pull off looking like they have any ability to really grab hold of events at all.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 7, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Reiche posted:

Ooooh, I did not know about this one, thanks! Adding it to the OP now.

You're in luck! Chapters 6 and 7 are out too!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yes.

Oh my god yes.

I can't loving wait.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Reiche I <3 U

I now feel motivated to update the ToG op

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

pnumoman posted:

Girls of the Wilds - An all-girl's high school has admitted their first male student, and he happens to be a dude raising twins on his own. Did I mention that this high school is an elite fighting high school that holds a world-renowned fighting tournament? This is a story you've seen a million times, and let's be frank, this webtoon really hits all the cliches: a harem vibe, tragic hero, tsundere heroine, cute girl with completely unexplained catgirl ears, beatdowns, etc. BUT it has gorgeous, full color art, nicely fleshed out characters, and the fighting scenes are well done.

Thank you for this. I'm disappointed that they dropped the whole "monster" thing, but otherwise it's excellent. Can't help but cheer for the oh so tragic hero :unsmith:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I'm currently updating the OP with your suggestions, and I added this part to the webcomic section that you all should take to heart!

"Pnumoman, I want to quote you here because I wanted to add a bit of information about Naver and the artists of the web comics.

pnumoman posted:

As far as I am aware, the artists are paid by the number of views that their comic gets or by their rating (I would like some clarification on this) so if you would like to show your appreciation to them, please find and take a look at the comics in their raw format on Naver. Easy Going Scans translates a majority of the webcomics out there and whenever you click on the links they have on their site, you are linked to not only the translated chapter hosted by egscans, but also the raw chapter on naver. If at all possible, please use this method to read the chapters because it's a quick and easy way to support the authors, like pnumoman said above! Also, if you go to a webcomic's main page on Batoto, a link is given to the raw comic so that's another way to easily find the korean version without sifting through piles of moonrunes or browser translations."

Reiche fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 8, 2012

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I used to read Yureka but I got kina tired of it and stopped. I should probably get back to it sometime.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saw this thread and immediately thought "bet he mentions My Heart is Beating." Turns out I was wrong!

My Heart is Beating is the best web-comic about a boy with a swimsuit fetish cross-dressing and playing on a girls' water polo team. It's really good and absolutely hilarious. The faces people make are pretty great. I find that I really prefer a lot of the humor in Korean manhwa/webcomics to what I usually see in Japanese manga; it tends to be a lot more "subdued."

Anyways, read that webcomic. You can find it translated on most of the main manga reading sites (actually based on another post I think it's translated by Easy Going Scans, so if that's the case go to their site). The same guy has done some other webcomics I think, since I've seen a few others with the same art style.

ppp posted:

god of bath- It's about working in a bath house and competing in the back scrubbing tournament, which is apparently a big deal. Only 2 chapters translated so far.

Ah, it's this guy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 9, 2012

Mura
Feb 3, 2008
Pretty much all of the manhwa and webtoons that I read have already been posted except for Orange Marmalade.

It's a romance comic featuring a vampire (it's not nearly as bad as you think) where the romance part moves at a snails pace, but has other elements that help tie it all together. Outside of pacing issues, I quite like it. Then again, I'm a sucker for shoujo tropes and all that poo poo, so YMMV.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If its scanned by Easy Going Scans and its a webcomic, use their actual site. One of the nice things they do is when you read the newest chapter is opens to the Naver page so the author gets money. Assuming thats how it works at least

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 8, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have to say Dark Mage is freaking Fantastic and that I hope it continues at this quality.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
Annarasumanara is amazing. Reminds me of Oyasumi Punpun, but with hope.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I finished Annarasumanara and My Heart is Beating yesterday, and both of those are fantastic. I'm really excited to see what that artist does with God of Bath now.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Confirming that Veritas is one of the most awesome things put to paper, and you should probably go read it now if you haven't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
New chapter: http://mangafox.me/manga/noblesse/v04/c231/1.html

It is strange, but I find that I look forward to noblesse every week more than any other manga or manwha.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is strange, but I find that I look forward to noblesse every week more than any other manga or manwha.

Noblesse is probably the release I look forward to the most each week.

I'd comment on the fight being awesome, but calling it a "fight" would be giving the captain far too much credit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The question isn't if Rai will win a fight, and indeed it never is. It would be a nice change of pace if Frank was able to keep Rai from fighting for once, but it doesn't seem likely. I mean, the elder was probably modified using bits of one of the traitor clan leaders and Yuri is still somewhere nearby.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Here's the link to the high quality version and raw. Gotta support the artist!

I love this series for how incredibly overpowered the protagonists have remained throughout. I like that it's been about the growth of M-21 and the others while Rai and Frankenstein (and Seira) just bust everything up when they feel like it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, now that I think about it Noblesse doesn't really have a protagonist.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recommend reading Noblesse and of course Tower of God. Nobelesse is like if X-men and DBZ made a baby that was bitten by a vampire.

Noblesse owns bones and can have some really hilarious awkward moments in it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The question isn't if Rai will win a fight, and indeed it never is. It would be a nice change of pace if Frank was able to keep Rai from fighting for once, but it doesn't seem likely. I mean, the elder was probably modified using bits of one of the traitor clan leaders and Yuri is still somewhere nearby.

I suspect that's why we've gotten the tidbit that Rai using his powers is slowly killing him; the dramatic tension doesn't come from "Will the good guys win?" but rather "Will the good guys win without Rai having to exert himself?".

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I took the opportunity of this thread to read Veritas again and it really is a crying shame it was cancelled, right up there with Mx0.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pierson posted:

I took the opportunity of this thread to read Veritas again and it really is a crying shame it was cancelled, right up there with Mx0.

Don't say the M word! I still tear up when it's mentioned :(

My Heart Is Beating deals with cross dressing better than any single manga or manhwa I've ever read. It provides all the hijinks and humor associated with the genre without being trite. Oh and the entire story is well done. Everyone ought to give it a shot - it's only 30 chapters, I marathoned it and didn't regret a single moment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm glad you guys started this thread. I had enjoyed The Breaker and hadn't stumbled on Veritas yet.

Also screw you guys because I didn't get any sleep yesterday because of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The Breaker has really good balls to the wall crazy martial arts parts. It also has very long stretches where nothing interesting happens that aren't any good at all. Veritas has lots of intrigue, character development and humor even during the infrequent times when the fighting slows down.

Also, I prefer genre subversion to straight takes.

Unfortunately, Veritas ended while Breaker keeps going.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I think it's more likely that Rai interferes because Frank loses control of his powers than that he's significantly weaker than the Elder. Frank is supposed to be about as strong as a clan leader, so at worst they should be pretty evenly matched.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Algid posted:

I think it's more likely that Rai interferes because Frank loses control of his powers than that he's significantly weaker than the Elder. Frank is supposed to be about as strong as a clan leader, so at worst they should be pretty evenly matched.
What really cements this manga as Shounen though is the repetitive battle sequences, starting with setting up the weaker players battles and as the baddies get stronger bringing in tier 2: Seira and Regis and then it amps up again as Frank and Rai come in.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The OP is desperately missing Can't See Can't Hear But Love, which is by the same author as Trace. The story follows a married couple - a blind husband and a deaf wife, who work as a mangaka and a janitor, respectively. The story follows how they live together, and the most recent arc has been covering how they met. It's an extremely good series, with lots of feel-good moments and also some very depressing ones.

Dog, Husband, and Wife, respectively.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The latest chapter of that was a real kick in the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsampikos
May 4, 2009

This right here is really good.