Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I definitely haven’t read anything that fits that sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yeah I'm.pretty sure it's going to piss me off until the end of time that nobody else seems to recall it and it could well have been a post surgery fever dream

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jose posted:

Yeah I'm.pretty sure it's going to piss me off until the end of time that nobody else seems to recall it and it could well have been a post surgery fever dream

I think the universe is telling you to put pen to paper and write it yourself.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Master Villainess the Invincible is back after over a year of being on hiatus. Just when you think it's gone for good

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Manhwa appear to be the new king of bad translator notes. There are an abundance of extremely horny notes, and then the running MST3K style commentary notes, and the "banter" between translator and proofreader notes. In scanlated manga these days those have mostly been relegated to their own end-of-chapter page.

But my favorite are the "just according to keikaku" type notes, just absolutely bafflingly useless notes. I have been collecting these:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I consider those to be ESL notes, where they are trying to teach the reader English at the same time. But I have to wonder why they are even using words they don't expect their audience to know.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I haven't noticed too much of that for webtoons vs print manga scanlations but the english translations overall for the Korean stuff can get pretty bad relative to most of the manga I've read.

It's a bit of a bummer but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

I consider those to be ESL notes, where they are trying to teach the reader English at the same time. But I have to wonder why they are even using words they don't expect their audience to know.

This is also my best guess. I'm imagining a scenario where the translator themselves is ESL, came across this term when looking up the English for a word they weren't sure how to translate* (or only learned it later themselves for another reason), and is concerned other readers won't understand.

* to use the "copper" one as an example, I'm imagining a scenario where they came across the cop slang in Korean, had no idea what slang you use for "cop" in English, and came across this term while looking it up. They then wanted to clarify for the audience (and this could possibly be because they're uncertain about the vocabulary choice - like maybe they - kinda correctly in this case - weren't sure if "copper" is actually a common slang for "cop").

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This is also my best guess. I'm imagining a scenario where the translator themselves is ESL, came across this term when looking up the English for a word they weren't sure how to translate* (or only learned it later themselves for another reason), and is concerned other readers won't understand.

* to use the "copper" one as an example, I'm imagining a scenario where they came across the cop slang in Korean, had no idea what slang you use for "cop" in English, and came across this term while looking it up. They then wanted to clarify for the audience (and this could possibly be because they're uncertain about the vocabulary choice - like maybe they - kinda correctly in this case - weren't sure if "copper" is actually a common slang for "cop").

This is kinda funny, given "cop" is also slangish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

After a year and a half The Beginning of the End got an update. New artist but it looks decent.