Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

you should read god of highschool for the absolute insanity of it all imo

Seconding this. Also The Gamer ain't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grouchio posted:

What is the current series that they're working on?

Trinity Wonder.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

khy posted:

I got caught up on SID so now I'm starting on God of High School. It's fun so far but I suspect the MC's carelessness will get annoying quickly, I hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah don't worry about that at all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

khy posted:

Okay yeah, this got.... interesting.

I will give the author credit, it was in no way shape or form predictable and managed to completely catch me and (from what it sounds like) everyone else totally by surprise. That's somewhat rare in webcomics these days. Last time I saw a tone shift this big was "It Hurts!" 100.

Ah yes, the start of the Journey to the West arc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks to whoever recommended Gosu in here. poo poo's rad as hell and by the 5-6th chapter the artwork starts getting nuts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I finally got around to starting Noblesse and it's hilarious / fun.

Good job, good job.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I finally got around to reading Tower of God and man is it good. Only about 2/3 of the way through it (I think) and it really got good towards the end of S1 and S2 just picks up well after introducing a lot more characters early on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I like Tower of God a lot. The current arc feels like it needs to get somewhere soon but overall it's been a fun read.

Lately I found Wind breaker and it's pretty sweet. Reminds me a lot of Rookies in some ways. Way funnier than I expected it to be and there's a good bit of character development.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Does everyone just use Line-Webtoons to read these or is there another option for Manhwa? Seems like Webtoons is getting dominated by romcom webcomics etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is The Breaker guys' new(ish) thing any good? "Trinity Wonder"?

It's decent enough but it's no Breaker. Also sorely lacking in Elder Kwon teleporting around putting uppity children in their place.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

its still not caught up is it?

I think at the rate its going its got like 1.5 years till it catches up or something pretty long.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

khy posted:

Boyfriend of the Dead and Super Secret are decent romcom manhwa. The former focuses far, far more heavily on comedy.

For more action or adventure type stuff there's Catharsis, S.I.D., Gosu, The Gamer, and Tower of God. All are great though ToG and Gamer are a cut above the others.

Hive is good but giant insects creep me the gently caress out so I never could get far into it.

All of these plus Noblesse and God of High School

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

I'd also recommend DICE. It's a good story and it's surprisingly intense. I'd absolutely recommend it over The Gamer any day, because I didn't like The Gamer at all and had to eventually stop reading. And of course there's also Kubera, but that might have been mentioned already.

Please note that even though DICE is on Webtoons, it's ahead of that point by quite a distance and the fan translation of it is much closer, not to mention better.

Yeah DICE is good. I'd say better than The Gamer, on par with Noblesse most of the time but Tower of God is better, not like these rankings matter, all of them are good reading and if you like one you'll probably like the others.

Personally I'd also recommend Wind Breaker, it's funny, good artwork and so far the story has been interesting. Lots of good characters and some good development so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so is wind breaker about a guy who farts a lot?

I know I kinda chuckle every time I write it out.

It's about street cycling stuff. A lot better than I initially expected going in. I think I recommended it here a while back. If you liked the "Rookies' manga about baseball it's got a lot of the same vibes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That comic gets all kinds of press / ratings and at this point I feel like it's just... not that good. Kinda gave it a rest when random character we have little reason to give a poo poo about went on like a 10 chapter arc to be a superhero.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shugojin posted:

I mean that's related because the whole superhero thing is related to the main character whether he wants it or not

Sure but it didn't really tie much into the main character or really unravel much of a plot thread at all. It just came off as a boring arc for no reason and then got back to the story. I dunno, it started out ok but its just not really doing much interesting anymore. Maybe I'll pick it up in half a year when I can power through a bunch of the crap in one sitting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty good and updates all the time. Lotta story development lately also. Definitely worth a look if you haven't checked it out yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

Wait what? That manhwa takes place in the same world of The Breaker? Or am I not getting what Murim means? Either way, I'm glad, because maybe that means they'll finish up The Breaker afterward.

Not same world from what I can tell. Just same authors and murim is a thing in both.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gently caress....

Really loved Yongbi / Gosu

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

I like this one though I'm a bit sad that our MC has become less of an obnoxious troll.

I think it's pretty good character development although they have set up a few times that he's definitely going to have to screw over Sora and Dark if he wants to live .

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

I forgot about this! I think it's kind of good character development but since he's never opened up to them it's left me feeling a little uneasy about it. Then again, it feels like the plot has been acknowledging that so I can't complain.

Yup, as long as it keeps moving I'm ok with it. They're kinda exploring others backstories right now so it may be a while, but it's been a pretty entertaining read. Helps that its updated so frequently too.

Sweet Home started out good but I gave it a pause, seems more kind of the thing I want to binge a bunch of at once instead of read week to week. It's appropriately uncomfortable horror stuff at least at the beginning.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wind Breaker continues to be good and funny and more people should read it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

the title is still funny

I know! It is goofy but don't let it stop you from giving it a try. It's been a consistently enjoyable thing. All the arcs are fairly short so even the less fun ones give way to something else quick enough. The character development for everyone has been good also, I've enjoyed where it's gone so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

I only read tower of god/unordinary/the gamer/god of high school on webtoons these days. What else is worth reading on the action side of things?

I'll give DICE a go

Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty fun, also another plug for Wind Breaker. Also Gosu.

It's not on webtoons but Peerless Dad is great, same dude that did Red Storm.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I'd make recs, but a lot of what I read on Webtoons isn't actually Korean and the others've covered the obvious grounds for Korean ones already.

Might as well share? I also read some non Korean stuff there, most interesting lately being Seed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

last I heard, gosu has been on break for a while because the author is sick

Yup. Still worth picking up if one hasn't though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Love Advice From the Great Duke of Hell is really funny

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

BURNING EFFECT IS MY FAVORITE WEBTOON EVER AND HAS BEEN SO FOR AT LEAST A YEAR.

IT'LL TAKE A REALLY GOOD WEBTOON TO EVEN COME CLOSE TO DETHRONING IT.

I've not seen it yet!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eleceed is good / hilarious, especially if you like cats. It's a team up between the people from Girls of the Wild and Noblesse.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

big fan of cats and the comedy parts of noblesse, so i'm completely fuckin' sold.

Yeah same. Once I saw who was involved with it I bookmarked instantly. Story is still building / introducing characters etc but its well done so far and has a few really cute / funny chapters. Good mix of high points from Girls of the Wilds and Noblesse imo.

E: Also the other half of Girls of the Wild has been doing "Like A Butterfly" which is real good imo but also kinda sad / melancholy. I definitely enjoy it but don't want to binge it.

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 31, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

Bit of a longshot here but I have half remembered what I think was a webcomic I read a couple of years ago. Some sort of super power martial arts series where the main character unexpectedly(?) Gains a power way too much for him or something and ends up being forced to live with some martial arts family who are possibly feuding with another?

Could be The Breaker or the 2nd season of that, New Waves.

Modern era or old school timeline?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

I Don't Want This Kind of Hero's (bad) English translation has finished. Aside from an epilogue coming next week the story is done. If you've been waiting for it to end, now's the time to read it. I really enjoyed it, start to finish, but I do hope that eventually, down the line, someone will retranslate it because man, the translation sucks.

If only. I liked it but couldn't keep going because of how meh it was.

I've been rereading ToG again and drat it's good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

I Don't Want This Kind of Hero's (bad) English translation has finished. Aside from an epilogue coming next week the story is done. If you've been waiting for it to end, now's the time to read it. I really enjoyed it, start to finish, but I do hope that eventually, down the line, someone will retranslate it because man, the translation sucks.

EDIT: Anyone who's still reading them, how is Gosu? I heard some complaints about the official translation, has it gotten better? Is it at a good point to start reading the second part? The same goes for Kubera, is that at a good point to jump back in?

I never had too many problems with the Gosu translation and I loved it. However it's been on hiatus for a long time as one of the authors is extremely ill. Might not get finished :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

I actually went back for a re-read since it got mentioned. Naver's site says Gosu returns on the 23rd.

Oh that's awesome news.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

I laugh to myself whenever I read God of High School and how completely nonsensical its name has become.

I got bored of it at the timeskip, did it get good after that?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

It got even more insane lol

It was always insane. Which was good! I just didn't like the new characters etc the bit after the timeskip was pretty jarring and I just kinda stopped reading it for a bit. I guess what I'm asking is if you enjoyed it before the timeskip is it still good now?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

In that case that just became an instant must read.

Yeah.

Thanks for posting it op

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading the webtoon Hardcore Leveling Warrior on webtoons and it is dramatically better than I expected from its name and premise. I was expecting some typical "person in VRMMO being a badass" situation, but the setting is actually genuinely interesting, with it being strongly implied that the "VR" world is actually a real thing and that the company that supposedly runs it actually doesn't control it. The protagonist is basically in a debt prison where he is forced to pay his lender back in-game (since game money is just as valuable as real money in this setting, due to it effectively being a second world people inhabit while they sleep*). So there's this contrast between the protagonist's real life, where he went into massive debt due to a gambling addiction + poverty, and the game where he has extremely good luck and a gambling-based ability (except it works out in his favor in the game).

I'd put it in a similar category to something like God of High School, in the sense of being something with its own unique art style and quirky setting (plus good action).

I've also been reading the English language romance thing "Age Matters" on webtoons, which I also mentioned in the shoujo/romance thread, though it's probably better for this thread. That series hits all the notes I look for in a romcom/drama.

* this is another weird thing about this setting; people "play" the game while sleeping, so they basically live half their lives in the game and half in the "real world."

Yeah both of these are good. I especially like HCLW though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tower of God anime ep 1 came out. Gonna watch it in a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Another thank you for the Kubera reminder!!
I really like most of ToG, Kubera, Gosu and Magician (heavily underrated). What other webtoons should i check?
I found noblesse boring after a while and the God of Highschool initial arc left me with little desire to continue.

I need to check out Magician.

It's not ever gotten very popular but I always recommend Wind Breaker, story about high school kids in crews of bike racers, think X-games meets Yowamushi Pedal or something. It's been consistently very funny with good characters / development and the art is well done.

For more personal relationship drama stuff there's Age Matters, True Beauty and I Love Yoo

It's not a manwha but 'Lore Olympus' is on Webtoons and has outstanding and unique art and is based in Greek mythology. It's funny as all hell too.

E: gently caress I forgot about Peerless Dad! It rullllllllles

Also Eleceed, fighting manwha that talks a lot about cats done one half of Noblesse and one half of Girls of the Wilds.

Girls of the Wilds is good stuff too if you're looking for completed series.