Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GateOfD posted:

the economy just makes no sense.

This is the realistic part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Brought To You By posted:

Latest chapter of 'Legend of the Northern Blade' has got to showcase one of the most powerful techniques to date

The art of the concerned father-figure. But it's good that blood guy is finally dead and gone although I don't 100% fault Jin nor the shaman's spirit for wanting to decimate the head. Martial arts and blood magic can sometimes make decapitation more of an inconvenience than a killing blow.

Such a good plot twist. I loved it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

I really should start looking into Korean stuff at some point soon. Some of it even seems popular enough these days to the point of hitting mainstream audiences. I've even seen bloody supermarkets here selling Solo Leveling volumes around here, though I've no idea how good it actually is.

The OP is from a decade ago: are the recommendations there still some of the best? What's a shorter work that combines great storytelling and art?

Gosu for somewhat shorter Murim era type stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ares is v old now but has an awesomely unique art style and interesting story

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

I was pretty confused by what you were trying to say here, but looking up "Murim" cleared it up:

So, Gosu is a story in that Joseon era, and I just learned a bunch of stuff I had no idea about.

Will definitively read the former and likely check the latter, too. Thank you!

There is a new Webtoon revamp of Shin Angyo Onshi, the art is no better or worse, imo, just moved from manga style pages to webtoon format and done in color. I haven't gone far enough with the new version to know how different they are, but the new version might be more your jam, its ongoing.

Island part 2 is also the same thing, a modern color webtoon remake of the original Island, a black and white page format. Ive been reading this one (it comes out slowly) but its a good ghost / demon story set in present day.

I forgot to mention but one of my more favorite manwhas is "Terror Man", unique interesting art style, special abilities kind of story meets gangland drama between Korea and Russia. It ties into a greater universe of stories in the "Superstring" universe, kind of like the marvel extended universe in the comics / films. Island Pt 2 is in it and you see a few crossover characters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gay devil posted:

Yeah they are more in the genre of "gates suddenly open on earth and also there are rpg classes and adventurer guilds for some reason"

Isekai just seems like the easiest shorthand. The planet got hit by the truck

Yeah I kinda tend to put them all in the same box since they use many of the same tropes etc. There is an actual difference, but it doesn't seem like enough to really bother about.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GateOfD posted:

Viral Hit is getting an anime this season.
Fairly popular title among delinquent/school fighting series. No idea on the quality, first episode didn't air yet, but I think there were some readers of it in here.

Good to know, probably would make a good first season or so. Eventually the story suffers from not ending when it should have and just gets into boring power creep stuff and recycles the main villain. Seemed obvious to me that they got told to just keep the popular series alive but that shouldn’t hurt a season or two of anime for the more interesting / funny original story.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I definitely haven’t read anything that fits that sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I haven't noticed too much of that for webtoons vs print manga scanlations but the english translations overall for the Korean stuff can get pretty bad relative to most of the manga I've read.

It's a bit of a bummer but beggars can't be choosers I guess.