Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's derivative but it isn't plagiarism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Kubera is also ridiculously depressing last I read it. Literally the opposite of a power fantasy. Everything is poo poo, everything is bad, nothing good can stay good, I legit had to stop reading it because it was just too many non stop punches of darkness.

a manwha with a similar tone is knight run.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the gayness power levels keep rising without limit in hero killer. it's good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

lmao at Prosecutor just showing up again like nothing happened. I love him.

that's an impostor. he's still wearing the necklace he gave to highnoon that she is holding in that scene.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
highnoon is a terrible gf

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he is the (formerly) big scarred liquid metal dude on engen's team. all he's done is get killed and then come back smaller each time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 23, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's downright impressive how many downright unimpressive manwha asura scans has done.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The junk collector posted:

I started reading Martial Artist Lee Gwak only for it to end at the cliffhanger of the big turning point. Seems the LN/WN aren't translated either. Shame because I was actually enjoying it.

yeah, lee gwak is rad as heck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, this is an adaptation of some brief epilogue chapters. they don't really go anywhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite aspect of generic korean gate stories is the economy. it's such a ridiculously positive view of capitalism. fight monsters to get rich instantly!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that one goes really weird places. the mc is constantly using mild perception alteration on everyone while also demonstrating how he is both valuable and helplessly weak. oh, and he's also very manipulative in general. it eventually becomes a turbulent, mostly non-romantic soap opera centered on the mc where everyone is sort of confused.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not deliberate, certainly. the mc caused a bunch of minor changes using lies, empowerment and mind alteration, all done with the best of intentions. however, the result was still a violent telenovela with gates and hunters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
infinite leveling: murim has the exact same parts as dozens of other comics but put together well and in a slightly different way. it's got the standard regression and inexplicable rpg systems, but it isn't reincarnation and is set in a vaguely historic version of korea. so the mc gets a full on rpg stat system after regressing but he has no clue what any of that poo poo is because he's a medieval warrior. there is no further explanation or guide. so now that he has rpg stats, effort (i.e., endless grinding/training) directly results in improvement. thus with fairly limited future knowledge (because he was a lowly scrub) and a rpg system he doesn't understand, he's undertaking a grand reform of martial arts society from the bottom up. also, since he can learn passive skills for various weapons to get bonuses while holding them, he starts with dual wielding a sword and axe then gets increasingly weird and badass from there.

season 2 recently started and it's still great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find that one really funny because there's no real time lapse. it's a mundane world, then the game dungeon comes out and within a week people have already formed genre-standard arrogant clans. they are instantly wealthy and influential without any of the intermediate steps. all these people just spontaneously decided to create private armies with silly english names and are automatically successful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hero killer! it's very stylish, violent, gay, and after the first arc, funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the premise of hanging out with horrible teenagers being the best thing in the world works better for eleceed. this is because the mc is also a teenager, as opposed to an ancient demigod with no social skills.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been reading leveling up alone despite it not being particularly good in any way. eventually i realized that i had also read some of the webtoon version at some point. so i went back out of vague curiosity to compare the two versions. and dang, the person who adapted it really worked hard. see, in the wn things just sort of happen for no reason and the mc gets stronger. that's it, really. that's what passes for a plot. there's no narrative, character development, or relationships. number goes up.

the wt links and expands those isolated, often vague events into a narrative. the mc doesn't have a couple random, inconsequential brushes with the authorities. instead, his uniqueness stands out a bit and a sort-of cop starts gunning for him in increasingly risky ways for the sake of her career. the mc doesn't randomly decide to start summoning demons out of literally nowhere, with no foreshadowing or buildup. instead, his system is secretly linked to higher powers and he is manipulated into getting involved with demons to serve a specific goal. also his system is a person instead of a disembodied voice that gets forgotten for long stretches and she is not happy about the demon stuff.

what's really a shame is that despite this heroic effort to transform a spreadsheet into a story, it's still not particularly good. it's okay, at best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm a big fan of how after all the trauma and drama the grey cat just lives a normal cat life now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's so weird that the isekai'd mentor from red storm briefly appeared in peerless dad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GateOfD posted:

I liked the one woman in Peerless Father
the granddaughter(?) of the old guy that transcended earlier in the story that’s the head of some organization
I really liked him from the small bit we saw of him, wish he struck around longer. Found him and the lady so reasonable even though they’re suppose to be from the “evil” clan

that was the guy from red storm.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neither of them is really all that complicated. chaos is an old, broken down vet who still has some ideals about heroism left despite not really being able to put them into action any more. also that's never what the hero clan was to begin with, so he's nostalgic for something that never existed. chaos is a dreamer. highnoon is fiercely loyal to her found family to the exclusion of all else, and all of her actions are in service of keeping them safe. she has no particular loyalty to the hero clan, but prosecutor does so she sticks around. highnoon is a pragmatist. but they both pose and vamp around and have great big smiles with heterochromia, so they look deranged.

and also highnoon is one of ihwa's many girlfriends. she's less scary than most, even.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's mostly a story about a woman who is happily married and gets along well with her mother in law but is convinced that this isn't true for dumb reasons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in some novel isekai stories there actually is some predestination going on that is difficult to resist. but like, why wouldn't someone simply try to test it first? the entire reason she married that guy is because she wanted to change the story and she did exactly that. it's just a character being impossibly dumb because if they weren't there wouldn't be a story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chain (the loser no one likes) turned out to actually be a magic sword. the person ihwa's fighting is merely the latest in a long line of scary girlfriends. she doesn't really matter much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao at the friendship attack in hero killer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, i'm done with surviving the game as a barbarian. seriously, gently caress this trash. there's a barbarian lady in it who is big, tall, swole and all around great. the latest chapter took away her height and muscles, making her more conventionally attractive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

in the web novel barbarian girl goes off to train in barbarian land for like 100 chapters shortly after that

that sounds like another reason to stop reading it. i like her way more than the mc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
knight king who returned with a god is mostly very mid, but i fuckin' love jagd spinne. it's an autonomous combat robot spider that became a holy knight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Reiche posted:

Lil spider knight is cool as hell

Everyone being extra horrified by the MC’s intense Orc racism was funny but I’m hoping the story isn’t going to keep retreading that or else I’ll drop it

that was kind of funny, but in a very uncomfortable way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked lee gwak but it ended right as poo poo was finally kicking off. that hurt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get why they keep making all these comics about heavenly demons, at least. that's a cool-rear end title.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i realized recently that the mc in undercover professor is just cid kagenoh with absolutely no self awareness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the funniest one is definitely solo max level newbie, where there's a tower rather than gates but the world comes together to form weirdly influential private guilds over the course of a week for no apparent reason. none of these guilds have any particular achievements because the mc hogs absolutely everything, but they are still treated as though they are as important as their equivalents in other korean portal fantasies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's because there isn't a difference. they all have the exact same setting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
three extremely gay dads

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apocalyptic death game and hunter/gate stories are quite different. they usually both have rpg stats and regression out the rear end, but that's true of most webnovels and webtoons of many other genres as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eleceed's about a sweet boy who picks up a cat that is actually a transformed superhuman. the cat that is sometimes a hot guy becomes his teacher and then various super power battles happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the isekai based on dragon quest mixed with western fantasy are just the ones that get anime. the genre's much broader and more varied than that. of course, we are still talking amateur web serial fiction here. just because they don't use those exact tropes doesn't mean most of them aren't just as bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if anything orv is a reverse isekai in that none of the webnovel characters existed on earth until the apocalypse started. afterward, they were there all along. or maybe it's more of a world merger, except the two worlds are mostly identical earths? it's sort of confusing.

mostly, i like orv because the protagonist's sole special trait being absolutely dire taste in fiction is really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the physical manwha industry is totally dead, killed by webtoons.