Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah webtoon has some surprisingly inconsistent translations. You can still tell what's going on but you just think "...yeah no one talks like that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Binged through Girls of the Wilds. If nothing else them calling out the whole Betty & Veronica routine and it ending in a horrific emotional car crash for all concerned is so refreshing coming from the likes of Nisekoi et all.

It's also remarkably realistic for the guy with horrific abandonment issues manifesting in distrust of all women to not just immediately get over it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I dropped Girls of the Wild after that dude tried to literally poison MC's younger siblings and got away with it cause his club members stopped the MC from wailing on him.

I dunno maybe he got beaten later but it was still pretty stupid.

You missed a long (but good) fight arc to retrieve bathroom pictures of Queen which turned out to actually just be pictures of her washing her face, in a bathroom

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tales of the Strange/Unusual is super fun

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

For once it's something I actually predicted

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

God of high school, featuring A Good Dog

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bernardo Orel posted:

Could God of High School maybe just calm down a bit? Just a small little bit??? RIP Mars

GoHS Earth really is more screwed than Toriko Earth was at this point

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Its happening

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Double post but GoHS cast knows what's most important

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

the format works fine for scrolling through on your phone which is what they're made for

Yeah, the problem is when the white background makes it impossible to tell if an image didn't load or the author used some whitespace.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is pretty lovely that the enemy that has driven raizel further than ever before is just some big mindless monster. he was always gonna burn his life away, but this is a dumb way to do it.

I'm actually pretty impressed that they seem to actually be making the life force burning thing stick.

Also the panel of Frankenstein's cut was super good use of the webtoons long format :stare:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gologle posted:

I would legitimately be laughing and clapping like an American in a movie theater if Rai actually does die, but somehow transfers his powers to that human red head guy who uses them in his martial arts and the webcomic basically turns into The Breaker, but with vampires and werewolves.

Even if he could transfer his power, the human kids are like the very last people he'd want to give it to. It'd be Noblesse: M21 is relevant now!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dark Spear is a bunch of human and other souls all angry and vying for control and vengeance.

As for the body modifications it seems he just stuck booby traps in his notes or something

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Some sort of... blood-based gravity attack?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jose posted:

god of high school is completely insane its really good. kubera i like but its so loving slow i need a huge amount available before i read it otherwise it feels like nothing happens

i'd recommend magician which is just about to catch up to where the scans were before webtoons had an english site

If you haven't read Kubera in the past few months now is a good time, fyi

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You're pretty close iirc

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Goddamn GoHS earth just can't catch a break

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, their personality is suppressed when they're close. Mori Hui was able to get his own personality because he was so far away for so long.

Also he was cool and good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mindblast posted:

In the end personal taste remains personal taste. There's no guarantee you will like it, and that doesn't mean the ones that do are shill bots. But yeah give it a shake. If possible, use the overlay system that translates it for you on the spot on the official site. Helps the author get clicks, as iirc it is her main source of income. It still feels like witchcraft to use that system.

...wait so does the naver run translated webtoons not count

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Teo is cute and Gandharva needs to hook up with her. Is Gandharva's spouse (or whoever is Shakuntala's mother) still alive? I feel like it was mentioned but I can't remember.

Pretty sure she's dead and so he started to be extra protective of Shakuntala

And then well it's still not confirmed either way but the gods gave all the sura a particularly raw deal :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Uhhhh apparently GoHS is not quite over and has one more arc?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

IIRC it was created by the Union with the Black Plague and similar large-scale catastrophes as covers for all the death it required, he just stole it from them

It still is a terrible thing to have be part of you though!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I've been kind of reading UnOrdinary. I liked it at first but I have this weird feeling it'll go downhill when the main character finally shows that he really does have powers after all.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that his ability is just copying stuff, but stronger. There seemed to be some emphasis on the fact that he was using the same abilities, but stronger/better than their original holders. It's the only thing that would really explain how he was able to defeat a whole class of people or whatever (since if it was just regular copying it wouldn't make much sense for him to be better than a crowd of people with the same abilities).

I gotta say I'm a little confused by John's characterization. Like, the extent to which he flips from "totally passive, nothing ruffles him" to completely losing his poo poo isn't really normal. I feel like something interesting could be done with this (if he was actually portrayed as having some sort of serious flaws/issues, rather than this just being a "the nice guy was pushed too far" situation), but I'm not sure if I trust the author to successfully take that angle.

I think it's been clearly set up that he perceives a lot of unfairness in the world and this is part of his massive rage against society accidentally getting some targets. I think it's also not so much that he can copy abilities and make them stronger so much as he can combine the abilities he copies, which makes him possibly stronger against groups.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

If his power actually is to copy and combine powers, it seems like he would inherently be stronger than her as long as anyone else was around at the same time (since he would have her time bullshit plus the other power.

I was thinking about this. It makes him incredibly hard to take down - it basically would rely on one person with a very difficult to use ability - that way he can't use it very effectively. An extra limit is he needs to have never interacted with a similar ability! It would be really hard to take him out with a team since you would need to either utterly overwhelm him with perfect teamwork or combine two or more people with abilities that (with a ton of effort) can link their abilities. Any easily powerful combo is something he can replicate quickly and possibly better. It's a neat hitch!

e ^^^

Oh man that's actually a pretty cool weakness. Almost everyone who writes a copy power puts in some sort of activation condition (and if they're smart, it wears off, unlike the clusterfuck that was Sylar/Peter Petrelli in season 1 of Heroes where both characters were approaching some sort of power singularity)

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 14, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Muzaka's chill right up until the exact second he's the goddamn sun

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's still stuck in the same trap as bleach was where it has a bloating cast and has to let everyone fight

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I miss when he missed fights because he couldn't figure out how to leave Frankenstein's house without breaking anything

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm kind of pleased that unordinary is edging closer to its fairly-obvious hosed up police state main plot.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

That is a loving roomy internet cafe, must be the really expensive KRW 2,000 an hour stuff.

You really think Frankenstein would let Rai go to a lovely... anything?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well hello, look who's back in god of high school

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

John's just being a violent jerk lately

Also I started following lookism and it's just a bunch of cute adventures of idiots mixed in with occasional moments where it really tugs on the old heartstrings

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

So this kid with the multicolor hair is very definitely borrowing the power of Jin Tae Jin, the next "God of Fight", right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have no idea where the gently caress Lookism is trying to go now

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I thought it was just cute and made me smile or laugh once in a while but now it's doing something real weird

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think I'm the only one who follows lookism but I can't believe they threw the little nerd kid into prison

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That Works posted:

That comic gets all kinds of press / ratings and at this point I feel like it's just... not that good. Kinda gave it a rest when random character we have little reason to give a poo poo about went on like a 10 chapter arc to be a superhero.

I mean that's related because the whole superhero thing is related to the main character whether he wants it or not

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what's up with Kaz then?

There are a lot of questions about whatever the gently caress was going on there and all I got so far is that the entire universe of Kubera is more of a jerk to Kubera than God was to Job

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I kept thinking it was about time for another binge but now I can just read to the end.

Kind of same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That Works posted:

Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty fun, also another plug for Wind Breaker. Also Gosu.

It's not on webtoons but Peerless Dad is great, same dude that did Red Storm.

Yeah Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty fun.