Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The question isn't if Rai will win a fight, and indeed it never is. It would be a nice change of pace if Frank was able to keep Rai from fighting for once, but it doesn't seem likely. I mean, the elder was probably modified using bits of one of the traitor clan leaders and Yuri is still somewhere nearby.
I think it's more likely that Rai interferes because Frank loses control of his powers than that he's significantly weaker than the Elder. Frank is supposed to be about as strong as a clan leader, so at worst they should be pretty evenly matched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Breaker 75

I wonder how he's going to snap out of it once he hulks out.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Cyborg martial artists, vibration attacks, and massive collateral damage. This really is turning out to be BAA: the webcomic.

Things do seem to be on track for the spoiler as of chapter 42, he gets the haircut around the chapter twenty or so I think.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

New Breaker.

I somehow never connected the black forest defense group with the actual black forest, not that it's really relevant to the story, just seems really funny to me for some reason.

edit: I'm wondering if the coverpage means that Sosul is supposed to fight them. I was sort of expecting her to be taller once her problem was fixed though.

Algid fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 21, 2012

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Breaker 100

Is that the first good guy fatality in the series that doesn't involve a flashback? Assuming he stays dead I mean.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

See, that was a different manwha. You'd think that NW was simply a continuation of the original, but that isn't really true. NW is the wacky spinoff where Shioon briefly gains and then loses his ki in most arcs.

9 Arts Dragon was the most interesting character in the original, but he hasn't even been in NW, likely because he naturally overshadows the protagonist. It still doesn't really make sense that he hosed off for foreign lands. He is a korean martial artist from a society of korean martial artists. His enemies are korean martial artists who live in korea. His supporters are all korean martial artists, most of whom also live in korea. What the hell is he doing now if not trying to get revenge? Is he trying to kill all of the old bastards by thinking unkind thoughts about them from the other side of the planet?
It's not clear that he can actually kill all those dudes without hulking out and murdering a bunch of bystanders though. Considering what happened last time he's probably pretty reluctant about being pushed to that point. I think he's just going through with the original plan of curing Sosul (Shioon was basically a guinea pig for the operation that fixed her) and then somehow using her to destroy the murim from within beyond just killing a bunch of dudes.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I still don't really get the point of all the power changes/sidegrades for Wu Geng that constantly happen in Feng Shen Ji. I'm guessing he's definitely going to keep using monochrome, but what was the point of him losing his mantra ability along with his arm? Or seeing a bird in place of the natural "aura" or whatever? Is that supposed to have something to do with the phoenix?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Old doctor guy is almost definitely higher ranked and stronger than Shioon. He also doesn't seem to give a gently caress about the politics of it at all, he just wants to examine Shioon as a patient.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

breaker new waves 113

Goddamn Shioon. :stare:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm sort of hoping he doesn't end up going into the Black Heaven Whateveritscalled again. As much as that might mean he'd be capable of maybe winning, I'd rather see him lose and have the Elders rescue him.
He has to eventually because he's basically the one who's supposed to perfect the technique by not losing your mind. I don't think it's going to be this fight though. He might bust out the move that was used on him last time and almost killed him.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Isn't Sosul's body supposed to be the complete opposite of what Shioon's is supposed to be right now? All nine chi centres blocked or whatever it is.
No, it got fixed so now she's somehow burning dudes with her mind or something. She had all nine meridians blocked, while Shioon started out with 3 of them blocked. The medicine Shioon took unblocked them for him, and the process of having them fixed made him way stronger than normal. Having all nine blocked and then fixed is supposed to be even better. He was basically the guinea pig for the procedure that ended up fixing Sosul.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah it's good despite its flaws but the first couple of chapters are just terrible.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You should probably spoil that poo poo. But:

I think, if you read it carefully, there are hints that Kubera-that-talks-to-Leez and Kubera-that-leads-the-Sura are not in fact the same being, or are two separate and unreconciled facets of that being. My current theory is that Kubera-talking-to-Leez is actually an external manifestation of the power of the name that Leez possesses. This is based mostly on... the sword-test arc in the current city? Especially the conversation he and Leez have when she wakes up after the fight. I'm not sure, I'd have to re-read the whole thing to check.

Actually, this might have been talked about upthread. I can't remember. :v:

But, to be honest, I don't think we know enough about names and the particular metaphysics of the setting to say whether it's bad plotting or not. It's sure as hell presented like an intentional mystery, though.
A lot of the stuff isn't laid out very clearly. Agni seemed to think that Kubera was responsible for killing Ananta, but he sort of deflect that and said it's nothing to be proud of. Then Sura don't seem to know who killed Ananta. It's not even clear that anyone knows who old Kubera is.

It is sort of interesting that the Sura fostered their kids because of the power of the name. I guess it's because there's certain individuals who inherited the names of dead Nastika. Sort of weird how Kubera is the only god that did the same thing. Gods can't die, so it's more likely his power is just slowly transitioning to Leez, but why would he do that in the first place? It's probably related to how he killed Ananta, I'm just not seeing how it's supposed to help.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It was ambiguous, but isn't one of the defining features of Nastika that their names can't reincarnate? Once they're dead, that's it.
They can't reincarnate, that doesn't mean the power of their name can't be passed on.

It's not like Kubera is the reincarnation of a god, it's her name which she was given when she was born, and the powers and identity of the god is something she's still developing.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The "can't reincarnate" thing is a property of the name, though. Or rather, deathlessness is a property of Astika names. It just makes sense to me that a Nastika name can die permanently. :shrug:
Maruna pretty much said that that's why there's people after Yuta (and himself and their sister). Hura thought the same thing and commented on this after Maruna and Yuta fought.

It's not clear that it works in the same way with Kubera and Leez, but there's definitely something similar going on with the different Sura clans. Why would they all be using aliases otherwise?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Arkeus posted:

It's been explicitely stated elsewhere that Nastika names are annihilated upon death. the whole Maruna/Yuta thing might be because their Dad is actually comatose, not dead (possibly a name transition) or it could be 'The Garuda' name, E.G what makes a King.
Where is this? I only remember it being mentioned that for gods their names, essence and lives are all tied together. Presumably at least part of that is different for the Nastika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I'm still amused that the Black Forest Defense Group is apparently based in the actual Black Forest and named after that rather than being some random adjective-noun group-name. This series is loaded with attack names that are are formed of six word long strings, but here we get a group of dudes named after a well known geographic location.