Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Girls of the Wilds - An all-girl's high school has admitted their first male student, and he happens to be a dude raising twins on his own. Did I mention that this high school is an elite fighting high school that holds a world-renowned fighting tournament? This is a story you've seen a million times, and let's be frank, this webtoon really hits all the cliches: a harem vibe, tragic hero, tsundere heroine, cute girl with completely unexplained catgirl ears, beatdowns, etc. BUT it has gorgeous, full color art, nicely fleshed out characters, and the fighting scenes are well done.

All in all, a highly derivative comic that is excellently executed.

Also, please note that most of the webtoons, this one included, are done by professionals that are paid by the site that hosts them. The major site they're on is naver.com, Korea's #1 web portal (or so it was last time I checked). Usually the translators are good about providing a goo.gl link to the raw webtoon; when they do, I highly suggest going and giving the original creator a pageview or two. It is a quick, low effort way of legitimately supporting the creator, so don't be a dick and do it if you like the work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Dickeye posted:

It's whenever EasyGoing, the only group working on it, gets a chapter done/one comes out in Korea.

Mostly whenever EasyGoing can release one, as they are behind the original by many many chapters.

Admittedly, there's lots of Chinese character related Korean puns to translate, but I'd love to know if translating or adding in the translation is the bottleneck.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Homo Depot posted:

Hard to fault egscans though since they have a shitload of a projects and release most fairly regularly.

Not trying to fault them; honestly, it was a crappy attempt at seeing if they would want some translation help. Only because I really like this series, and I wouldn't mind translating it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Algid posted:

Breaker 75

I wonder how he's going to snap out of it once he hulks out.

Naw, I'm guessing that this is gonna be the critical moment for his ki to come back; as in, the hulking out technique goes haywire or something because of his blocked ki and just restores his ki to normal or some poo poo. Whether I'm right or not, I think we're way overdue for the main guy to actually beat the poo poo out of someone.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

So Martial Arts Extreme etc etc...

Goddamn I want you guys caught up to the raws. This week's strip is a filler(? maybe not) that is hilarious.

EDIT: And yeah, I forgot about that time in Breaker: New Waves with the beatdown that was due to the pill. But still, gently caress the pills.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I haven't actually gotten around to reading any of it yet, but Green Boy might fit the bill.

Green boy does, but it's a half-and-half fighting/romance webcomic. It's pretty good, balances both sides well.

I dunno if anyone has translated it, but try Comic Man Blues if you can find a translation/can read the raws on Naver. It's a finished webcomic about (brace yourselves) a lazy comic artist who ends up paying back some loan sharks by fighting in MMA matches.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'd say this desperately needs a thread of its own, but I'm concerned the slow release might lead to its death. The series never fails to make me laugh, it's constantly incredible.

I just don't understand why they feel the need to edit most of the sound effects and stuff. I get that they want to make it look real nice, but c'mon, there's a huge backlog of chapters to get through. And given the comic's weekly release schedule, the backlog keeps getting bigger and bigger...

In any case, this arc is long and awesome, so let's hope they pick up the pace a bit.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

This group is also taking Special Martial Arts so we'll start getting much faster releases for it, and for that I'm graciously thankful.

Finally. I might actually be able to discuss the comic with you guys sometime this century.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

I hope it is a real spoiler... is 52 even out? (untranslated but existing?)

52 is not yet out, and given the plot so far, I highly doubt the information in the text is a spoiler, but the image certainly might be a real spoiler. Korean readers are up to chapter 42 at this point. (And drat, I keep forgetting how behind the translations are. Just so you guys know, it's still awesome.)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Algid posted:

Cyborg martial artists, vibration attacks, and massive collateral damage. This really is turning out to be BAA: the webcomic.

Things do seem to be on track for the spoiler as of chapter 42, he gets the haircut around the chapter twenty or so I think.

Yeah, chapter 21.

Cbouncerrun posted:

I'm confused. I thought the old guy at the end was the author, but how are people in the comments giving spoilers for future chapters?

Yes, the old guy is the author; I think he was just annoyed about speculation, not actual spoilers.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Death Bot posted:

So is Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School dead or what? :(

What chapter did the translations stop at? The actual comic is on hiatus at chapter 49 until November.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Yikes. Well, hopefully someone picks it back up for you guys. It's a real pain to translate, though. Tons of technical terms used psuedo-scientifically, and every single martial arts move is a hardcore pun. Such a shame since it's so fun.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

As cathartic as this chapter was, I really wish they would stop with the whole broken ki-center bullshit. It was cool at the end of Breakers, and the whole saga of getting it fixed in B:NW made sense and it was pretty fun. But it's been going on long enough, and now that it's almost fixed, I really don't appreciate more dangling 'is it gonna break again or not' poo poo. Especially since there are really only two possible outcomes: 1) it's a hollow threat because he's the loving protagonist and he can't be the protagonist anymore if it's 100% impossible to fix or 2) it breaks again 'irrevocably' but that turns out to be bullshit when he gets it fixed for the second time. Please, let's move on. It's not like there's a lack of things to get to in the plot.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Flython posted:

Brilliant isn't it. I'm loving the principle character more and more with every appearance.

A question for the more knowledgeable people in the thread. What is the Korean animation industry like? I've always heard of the use of South Korean animation teams on western shows but I can't recall ever seeing something like a homegrown Korean animation. I would love to see some of these Manhwas in motion.

Korean animation is doing more homegrown stuff as time progresses, but they're hamstrung by the fact that Korean animation studios command high quotes for overseas work. The US farms out tons of animation to Korea, and so does Japan to a lesser extent, creating an environment where homegrown animation projects simply can't compete with this revenue. It's been getting better lately, but there's still a long ways to go before something like a Naver webcomic can get animated.

The Korean domestic market is partially to blame as well; the Japanese language is incredibly easy to translate into Korean, so anime and manga has been all over Korea for a very long time, which leads to a high barrier to entry for any Korean work. Comics are relatively cheap to produce, so Korean comics were able to make great strides in a relatively short period of time, leading to the current situation where Korean webcomics are actually starting to out-pace Japanese manga in terms of innovation and utilization of new modes of distribution. But animation is incredibly time-consuming and expensive to produce, and homegrown animation successes are few and far between in Korea, so Korean animation studios are reluctant to sacrifice steady overseas profit for a very risky home-grown project. And since there are few Korean animations being produced, the chances of a hit are lower, leading to lesser interest, creating a cycle that has mostly persisted to this day.

This is slowly changing, especially since there have been a few homegrown feature length animations that have done very well in Korean cinema, but it'll still be quite some time before Korean animation studios can fill their schedule with Korean projects.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Bernardo Orel posted:

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School 25 So much goodness in one day! Is this the power of Steam sales? :v:

Hopefully you guys will get somewhat caught up during the current hiatus; Season 1 is finished at 69 chapters, and the author's been on hiatus since April and set to return in October.

Btw, the craziness never stops and I really can't wait until this series returns in October.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

Doubtful - people have been saying this for a while, but translators just don't pick this up to translate regularly. EG picked it up December 2011 and is up to 23 chapters. Someone mentioned before that it's very hard to translate, and I can believe it just due to the rate that we've been getting it.

Heh, that was me. At this point, I'm tempted to just bang out some scripts and send them over, but that would require me to actually do it.

If they would just give a literal translation of the pun-based special moves and explain the pun concisely on the side, I suspect the translation speed would increase dramatically. Then again, I have no clue how long it takes to clean and do that Photoshop magic on the panels, so...

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

This is sad. The 25th chapter of Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School was released in mid July, though EGScans has it listed as October for some reason maybe they didn't do the last couple of chapters back then? Months later and we haven't gotten any new chapters and the comic is now up to 70 chapters. I wish I could read Korean because it looks insane.

Series just came back with a proper first chapter to season 2. Maybe there'll be some translation love for you guys now that it's back?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

So at the end of today's God of High School, the author announced that there will be an official English translation coming soon. The announcement is in English at the end, and it points to https://facebook.com/LINEWEBTOON for more information. A quick check of the page shows that Naver's gonna put out official English versions of Noblesse, God of High School and Tower of God. I hope for everyone's sake Martial Arts Private High School is on that list.

EDIT: So reading some more on their facebook page, it looks like Naver is going to put out a mobile app and mobile web app for this. They're considering a PC app, so I'm guessing they won't be putting out the English translations straight on the web, but gated somehow. Either way, should be interesting to watch, especially given that English translations of Korean webtoons aren't exactly the best.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 26, 2014

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

Don't you enjoy reading about 17 year olds solving relationship problems like 12 year olds imagine 14 year olds would?

Sums it up perfectly. And yet I can't stop reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

I did the same a while back and never bothered to keep up with it once I finished binging. It's good, but at times it feels like it's good despite the author's best efforts. When he's doing romance or character building the author really shines, but any time fighting is involved the whole thing feels like it's balancing on a thread trying to justify why the badass women are feeling literally any tension at all.

For example the last time I read it was when the one chick got kidnapped and the main character teamed up with his ~rival~ to rescue her. In isolation that's a fine setup to deal with and you could really work with it if you play your cards right, which the author mostly does. But this girl is of of the famed badasses, capable of punching and kicking through baseball bats and knocking people across rooms. The author basically left her there tied to a chair pining for someone to rescue her. Getting kidnapped by crazy stalkers is a completely hosed up situation to be sure, but don't try to tell me the equivalent of anime Bruce Lee is completely stymied by a handful of untrained dudes and some rope.

Also it really bugs me that the author thinks the reason boxing gloves exist is as a handicap so punches don't feel as hard. I thought it was making fun of a character's inexperience but it kept popping up and was still completely wrong each time.

Yeah, that kidnapping arc was making me roll my eyes the entire way through. I ended up ignoring the series for a while to just plow through it once the arc was over.

The absolute worst part for me was how after the kidnapping was over, the comic makes a big deal about how she's all traumatized then just drops it over the course of a chapter or two.