Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I really should start looking into Korean stuff at some point soon. Some of it even seems popular enough these days to the point of hitting mainstream audiences. I've even seen bloody supermarkets here selling Solo Leveling volumes around here, though I've no idea how good it actually is.

The OP is from a decade ago: are the recommendations there still some of the best? What's a shorter work that combines great storytelling and art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That Works posted:

Gosu for somewhat shorter Murim era type stuff.

I was pretty confused by what you were trying to say here, but looking up "Murim" cleared it up:

quote:

Murim is a term used in Korean martial arts to refer to a specific type of martial arts training known as “military martial arts.” These martial arts were developed by the military during the Joseon Dynasty era (1392-1868) and were primarily focused on practical combat techniques and self-defense. Unlike other martial arts, such as taekwondo or judo, which are based on sporting principles, murim emphasizes real-world applications of technique and strategy.

So, Gosu is a story in that Joseon era, and I just learned a bunch of stuff I had no idea about.

Jose posted:

shin angyo onshi is still extremely good though its been years since i last read it

That Works posted:

Ares is v old now but has an awesomely unique art style and interesting story

Will definitively read the former and likely check the latter, too. Thank you!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

GateOfD posted:

looking for like martial arts stuff, or regular action, or psychological games? cause its an entire medium of its own with all sorts of subset genres

I imagine, but I'm not looking for any particular genre. It was more of: if you had to recommend one series, one that you absolutely loved, and knew others would to, which one would it be?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

three extremely gay dads

AtomikKrab posted:

Bisexual at most given their reactions to the main characters mother, jury is out on the new dad.

Tell me more about this one.

gay devil posted:

The planet got hit by the truck

gently caress, manhwa truck is hardcore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Yeah I'm.pretty sure it's going to piss me off until the end of time that nobody else seems to recall it and it could well have been a post surgery fever dream

I think the universe is telling you to put pen to paper and write it yourself.