Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For some reason I very specifically can't get into any of those "gates open up on earth, people form video game guilds for some reason" series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's a kind of standard fantasy setting more than a historical thing. Like how the common medieval fantasy setting with knights and wizards looks vaguely like medieval Europe, but not really.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elite posted:

My first guess is it probably matches up with popularity of different video game genres. The gate invasion setting is basically “what if MMO, but real life?”. But even if I’m right there I suppose that’s more of co-symptom rather than an explanation.

Probably a complex social reason behind the differences in Chinese manhuas too. (They seem even more transparent a power fantasy).

Korean manwha seem a lot more cynical about society and especially social class than Japanese manga. There's a lot of emphasis on "the rich, popular kids get to enjoy life, while the rest of us peasants suffer in silence." So the basic fantasy of the gate invasion setting is "what if I could be rich and popular by being super good at MMOs?" This ties into the whole public rating board thing which often shows up. Getting rich in particular is also a part of the fantasy that isn't nearly as emphasized in other genres.

Whereas modern isekai is more about literal escapism, as in "I have no attachments whatsoever to the world I live in, so I'd rather live in a cool fantasy world where I am loved and appreciated just for being myself."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 4, 2024