Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Academy's Professor's thing of him using alias of famous names like lupin or hellsing is sooo eyerollingly dumb when its trying to pretend that its cool.

i read a bit of I Level Up Alone (not to be confused with Alone, i level up)
standard korean dungeon gate webtoon with an mc with a side relative.
premise is as usual cold be interesting but the MC is the most bland blob ever. He has no personality other than I need to make money for surgery money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
was not a fan of the webcomic version of Gluttony

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
anyone else have a really hard time reading korean names? Even mentally reading it, I cannot pronounce it at all in my head.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i need to catch up on that one

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Found out True Beauty is a terrible localization/name for the series.
No wonder I was totally confused by the progression of events. Actual title is like “Advent of the Goddess” or “Beauty of Angel”

Kept expecting a series where she accepts how she looks ect.
But it’s a standard Korean romance soap opera with her and a bunch of similar hot looking oppas. (With makeup as a strong interest and focus in the beginning) Nothing wrong with that, but just got mislead by the English title

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Tale of a Scribe Who Retires to the Countryside at the top of my list so far for manwhas I actually keep following.

alot for me lose steam and interest after the first 100 'episodes' or chapters. Maybe it helps that the MC isn't a total struck up jerk like most murim mcs tend to be

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i enjoy the murim settings of these worlds, but i actually care very little about how much time a lot of them take talking about the energy/qi levels and making a breakthrough to the level core ect.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0WnLWT40g

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Dikkfor posted:

Qi is stored in the balls.

Much closer to the truth than you would think

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i think the best cultivation ones are the comedy ones that put everything on its head.
Like "No Way Anyone Believes My Master is a Mortal"

MC transmigrates and his cheat is a sect system. He starts off at an advanced realm. But the twist is that to get stronger, he has to accept disciples...and train them wrong. So wasting the talents of people on purpose. The more useless disciples he makes, the stronger he gets. But the reverse is also true.
So he picks up all these rejects, but thru misunderstandings and him trying to pretend to know what he's talking about (he's a transmigrator so he actually knows nothing of murim). And thru his bullshitting, he actually awakens the hidden hidden talents of the rejects. And because of that he gets weaker, and he's like "nooooooo" And ends up being a weakling with a ton of OP 'main character' tier disciples that worship him.

other ones like that or "My Disciple keeps Dying"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading "2000 Years of Magic in my Head"

main character is guy from a famous swordsman family, leaves and joins the magic school in a 'monster dungeon apoc' world.
magic is very inferior to sword aura an stuff.

Beginning so far is very academic with him slowly revealing advanced magic techiques to make it on par with physical attacks. The writing is interesting enough. Not sure how it will be once it gets to the combat stages.

It is a korean a series, so it seems like the many of the korean magic stories, it uses the cultivation system with magic circles replacing the cultivation cores. I seen some chinese ones do it too, but seem to notice it more in korean magic stories.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
basically a world/community of martial arts as a controlling power or focus.

then add other factors into the pot like various chi/qi, cultivation, mystic animals and divine artifacts into the mix.
other stories, sometimes, but not always separates themselves from regular mortals since thru training, they can live for hundreds of years, and their goal is to 'ascend' to a higher realm of existance

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I throw in a recommendation for 'Transfer Student Storm Bringer' to any interested.
https://mangatoto.com/series/27772/transfer-student-storm-bringer

pretty short read @ only 92 chapters.

Not sure if there's a better term for it, but set in one of those high school gangster type settings with a bunch of fighting.
the spin is that the MC is really weak, and just wants to get by but has a scary tough guy face.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading 'My Master is a Backseat Gamer'

a murim master's soul transmigrates to a korean world of hunters and monster gates, and trains the weakling using his murim knowledge

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

RareAcumen posted:

Well hot drat, I had no idea there was an actual Manhwa thread!

Okay, I'm open to suggestions on any angle; I just need action. I'm not great at keeping track of multi-layered plans between factions playing into each other's hands.

I do like:
  • Solo Leveling
  • A Returner's Magic Should be Special (Kinda lost me over the last 30 chapters)
  • Survival Story of a Sword King
  • Villains Are Destined to Die
  • I'm Only a Stepmother, but My Daughter Is Just So Cute!/ Not-Sew-Wicked Stepmom
  • Get Schooled!
  • Study Group
  • Weak Hero
  • Lookism
  • Viral Hit
  • UnOrdinary
  • The Fabled Warrior

I'm kinda all over the place and I could be totally wrong about some things not being Manhwas just because they're on webtoon. My current 'I enjoy this but wish I had found it five years from now' series is Susuhara Is A Demon

I see a lot of school setting brawl series.

I throw in 'Transfer Student Storm Bringer (avoid the reboot one)"
and Teenage Mercenary

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
heard the artist for the webtoon version of Solo Leveling passed away last year, did a new artist take over?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Yea, I was asking for the Korean webtoon specifically

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
oh, i'm out of date then lol.
i followed it when it was well below 100 chapters and stopped, and thought it was on-going.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I read the full webnovel version of Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint and it was a crazy ride, so many crazy twists. Would read till at night till sunrise.
I'm kind of lukewarm on the webtoon version, I always find the adaptation of a novel webtoons ones act as more of a slideshow and skips a lot of the butter of a lot of events.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i believe the term for the ones where they go back in time to redo their lives are 'Returners'

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
caught up to Tale of a Scribe Who Retires
the cast still entertaining, and it getting a bit more into group politics, but its still interesting because it directly involves the main cast

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading a new title that's been pretty interesting.
'How to Live As a Writer in a Fantasy World'

Didn't even know it was korean at first because it uses western names, but then noonas and oppos started popping up later.
Different from the over saturated marital arts and dungeon action titles.

MC is reincarnated into a fantasy world with magic, elves, dwarfs, demonfolk. No cheats, other than important characters just gravitas to him cause of plot. Other than he seems like a good writer? (but seems to be thru hardwork since his hands are full of signs of heavy pen holding. Seems most of the books in the world are very basic. Mostly non-fiction works in a diary fashion ("Today I killed a goblin. I ate stuff ect)

He writes a fiction work based on his memory of old standard fantasy tropes (that turn out to match the circumstances of the world's races) and it proves very popular and has cultural effect like bridging the relationships between races and introducing a concept of steam engines.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i lost interest in Peerless Father after it got deep into politics stuff.
wish it focused more on his kids too instead of sprinkling little teases about them over 200+ chapters, I want them to start kicking rear end

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I liked the one woman in Peerless Father
the granddaughter(?) of the old guy that transcended earlier in the story that’s the head of some organization
I really liked him from the small bit we saw of him, wish he struck around longer. Found him and the lady so reasonable even though they’re suppose to be from the “evil” clan

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading "To Be An Actor" webtoon
its one of the longer ones I seen, episode wise.
Its feels like a full 5minutes to scroll and read down each episode.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
To Be An Actor got an official translation, and thank god. I actually understand what's going on now.

the unofficial machine translation was everything you could think of that can go wrong.
constantly shifting wrong pronouns, wrong subject tenses, and sometimes totally wrong interpretations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading a bit of The Constellations are my Disciples, read the webnovel a bit, then started looking at the manwha a bit.
can kind of see the formula they're gonna do, but wanna see the delivery.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
https://mangasee123.com/manga/Is-It-Fortune-or-Is-It-Woe

started reading this. its a manwha, but everyone uses western names since its set in a european noble setting.
no magic, just a lovely regular romance. the heroine is an isekai, but all she knows is that its a novel she used to read, nothing else. She remembers that her little sister is fated to die in childbirth, so she gets in the way, and ends up marrying the male lead instead. As she already lived 20 years as her current character, so to her, this is her life, and doesn't really care about her past life other than the small bits of knowledge she remembered from the novel.
Doesn't seem to have any magic, the characters so far all seem very reasonable and the social etiquette stuff is done in a way that makes sense, which is a rarity in these kind of things.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
sounds similar to one I checked out a few weeks ago, a female MC, but her system operated like a jrpg turn-based system, while everyone else's was like regular real time battle. so her battle armaments would only appear when engaged in battle, have run/escape commands where it grants her a temp. speed boost when running from an enemy ect

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading Mythic Item Obtained manwha version.

seems interesting enough so far, gonna keep reading for a bit till its not interesting, which happens to alot of these type of webcomics where it tries to expand the story, and just fails at it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading Genius Archer Streamer.

the hook for me right now is reading the chat style spam of the viewers as the MC streams with his cheat-like archery skills, which is a new change of pace from the usual korean game webnovels

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
you need to know what kind of korean honor or revenge they have to regain

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading a korean webtoon, "Maybe Meant to Be"

no crazy monsters or powers.

Just a regular lovey dovey marriage series.

Two characters over 30 unmarried (used to be old childhood friends) decide to spontaneously marry so their parents stop bothering them.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
the beginning was okay, but not a fan of the type of game its simulating.
wish it went into more of the different race cultures, but it really didn't expand on it much after the first few descriptive traits and just focused on the boring generic dungeon crawling.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Reading one and all the guys and guys have like the same surname and I can’t tell who is who.
I can’t even tell which names are the feminine ones or the masculine ones so can’t even tell if it’s the girl or guy talking. Need more oppa and noonas useage

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I keep jumping on and back on Best Teacher Baek.
i like the marital arts teacher angle, but i'm tired of the drat blood cults in these korean martial arts stories

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
any notable series with a female lead?
Or even a good supporting character? Only one I can think of is the Lazy Count becomes a Swordmaster or something like that with the fiery redhead.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
giving Master Villainess the Invincible a try atm.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I like the settin gof Master Villainess, but the fighitng is kind of boring and not very good looking. And there's a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
rofl, Master Villainess The Invincible
okay, i cracked up at this
person MC teaming up with temporary makes a chi laser sword, and a random mook on the other side tries to fight it, and the laser sword just cuts threw his regular sword and his head off. what did he think was gonna happen? lol