Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saw this thread and immediately thought "bet he mentions My Heart is Beating." Turns out I was wrong!

My Heart is Beating is the best web-comic about a boy with a swimsuit fetish cross-dressing and playing on a girls' water polo team. It's really good and absolutely hilarious. The faces people make are pretty great. I find that I really prefer a lot of the humor in Korean manhwa/webcomics to what I usually see in Japanese manga; it tends to be a lot more "subdued."

Anyways, read that webcomic. You can find it translated on most of the main manga reading sites (actually based on another post I think it's translated by Easy Going Scans, so if that's the case go to their site). The same guy has done some other webcomics I think, since I've seen a few others with the same art style.

ppp posted:

god of bath- It's about working in a bath house and competing in the back scrubbing tournament, which is apparently a big deal. Only 2 chapters translated so far.
http://i.imgur.com/8pZQQ.jpg (too tall to thumbnail)

Ah, it's this guy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

j4on posted:

Have you read the author's other works? 3 Level Combination, Annarasumanara, God of Bath? All great.

Oh man, thanks for reminding me of God of Bath; I read some a while back but never finished it. All of that author's stuff is pretty amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Can't See Can't Hear But Love is like some sort of black comedy. The sheer frequency of depressing events is almost funny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

korrandark posted:

Noblesse 307 out

Welp it was nice knowing you Ignes. :black101:

I never get tired of Rai being smug.

I hope that the series ends with Rai burping and/or farting and then committing suicide for doing something "not befitting the noblesse."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

He only does that when he is angry, and he only gets angry on behalf of other people. Rai doesn't talk down to people otherwise.

Exactly, and that's why it's always so great on the occasions he does get smug.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Another Poster posted:

Dr. Frost is really good. Some case might be bleh but most of them is very interesting and well researched.

It's worth keeping in mind that at least some things are based upon ideas that have since been debunked, like Rorschach tests. Then again, this is partly because many of the ideas that have popped up during the past 100+ years in the history of psychology research have been debunked or aren't really supported by evidence. This is largely because, unlike other parts of the body, it's almost impossible to do detailed research on the brain while a person is still alive*, and human brains differ greatly from those of the other mammals we would normally use as a proxy for this sort of research, like mice/rats (which isn't to say that data from those other species isn't useful, but it's less useful than if you were looking at a different part of the body).

*If you wanted to see the effect of some medication/therapy on a disease that affects a person's muscles (or even an internal organ like the lungs or liver) or causes a fever, you can do so relatively easily by taking a biopsy and/or measuring the levels of different chemicals in a person's bloodstream. But you can't (at least without very invasive surgery) look at the level of various chemicals inside a person's brain while they're alive, and due to the blood brain barrier you can't just take blood from their wrist/arm. As a result, we can only really rely on a description of symptoms before and after a patient uses a psychiatric medication. You can't (reasonably) drill a hole in someone's skull and measure how much dopamine/endorphins/whatever they're producing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that at least some things are based upon ideas that have since been debunked, like Rorschach tests. Then again, this is partly because many of the ideas that have popped up during the past 100+ years in the history of psychology research have been debunked or aren't really supported by evidence. This is largely because, unlike other parts of the body, it's almost impossible to do detailed research on the brain while a person is still alive*, and human brains differ greatly from those of the other mammals we would normally use as a proxy for this sort of research, like mice/rats (which isn't to say that data from those other species isn't useful, but it's less useful than if you were looking at a different part of the body).

*If you wanted to see the effect of some medication/therapy on a disease that affects a person's muscles (or even an internal organ like the lungs or liver) or causes a fever, you can do so relatively easily by taking a biopsy and/or measuring the levels of different chemicals in a person's bloodstream. But you can't (at least without very invasive surgery) look at the level of various chemicals inside a person's brain while they're alive, and due to the blood brain barrier you can't just take blood from their wrist/arm. As a result, we can only really rely on a description of symptoms before and after a patient uses a psychiatric medication. You can't (reasonably) drill a hole in someone's skull and measure how much dopamine/endorphins/whatever they're producing.

After reading up until the current chapter of Dr. Frost, I just wanted to mention that the topics become much more strongly rooted in reality after the beginning, and the author even mentions at one point that he threw some things that weren't entirely accurate into the beginning of the series just to act as a hook and get people interested. He also usually throws in any caveats to avoid misleading the reader; for example, when hypnosis comes up he mentions how many people aren't susceptible and that we don't understand the exact mechanisms behind what affects susceptibility. The author has actually consulted with various university faculty when writing the series and will have various experts read over his plots to check for accuracy.

The author is really doing a great thing by presenting therapy/counseling in such a positive light. As he mentions at several points, there's a massive stigma associated with psychiatric treatment in Korea (and East Asia in general). I wouldn't be surprised if many people have received treatment who wouldn't have otherwise solely due to this comic. He actually mentions at one point that his favorite feedback has been from people who told him that they were going to seek out treatment.

So yeah; Dr. Frost is a really good thing. Korea is a really backwards place in many ways, and things like this can go a long way towards fixing that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lil baby anime posted:

I'm posting the link

Noblesse 311

Ignes or w/e her name is is awful. Her dad dies and she cares for a whole 2 panels.

I'm not sure how they're going to deal with Rai's "automatic win button until it causes him to die" abilities. We don't really have any way to gauge how much juice he has left outside of Frankenstein's "oh poo poo, master is gonna die!" comments (which he's been saying since Rai killed relative fodder earlier in the series). As is, there doesn't seem to be anyone other than Rai who can take on the strongest enemies; Frankenstein has been shown to be roughly on the level of a single clan leader using a soul weapon (or one of the stronger elders) and the next strongest person is probably Seira who is weaker than most other clan leaders.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I don't fully understand why Korean Manwha is more enjoyable to me than Japanese Manga is. But I'm enjoying it all the same.

I tend to find the humor in Korean manhwa a lot funnier than the humor in most Japanese manga I read. Part of it might be related to a lot of humor in Japan being related to stuff like manzai (most "gag manga" seems to be sort of like manzai, at least), which most Westerners (including myself) don't tend to find very funny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just thinking about something; China is a huge loving country (and Korea isn't that small, at least when compared with Japan), but the overwhelming majority of comics we see come from Japan. Is this due to Japanese manga receiving more focus due to the existence of many Western fans, or is there actually far less being produced in China/Korea. There's stuff like The Ravages of Time (which is pretty amazing), and it just seems strange that there would only be a handful of titles.

My question is more about China, due to the population of the country, but even Korea has disproportionately few series scanlated relative to Japan (despite having a large population of tech/pop media-savvy - couldn't think of a better description - people).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks for the responses; I didn't really think of the fact that manga has had decades to develop in Japan when both China and South Korea were both in an economic/cultural funk (to put it shortly).

ArcadePark's post about the rise of the webcomic (and lack of a market for printed media) in South Korea is also really interesting and should maybe be linked to in the OP just for some background.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not entirely convinced that Can't See Can't Hear But Love isn't some sort of really dark comedy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

I kept expecting them to let werewolf dude in on the fact that it was his own team messing around with werewolf/human hybrids. I kind of get the feeling they're going to end up siding with the good guys, anyhow.

Yeah, the werewolf elder has consistently been portrayed in a more or less sympathetic light.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One potential issue with Noblesse is that the author has sort of written himself into a corner where it seems like the Union (which is supposed to be the Big Bad) is fighting an uphill battle. At this point we have the Union - which has already lost a couple of its elders - against the entire vampire nobility + our protagonists. And given that it looks like the werewolves are going to go against the Union at some point, I don't really see how the "good guys" are particularly threatened. It's still entertaining regardless, and I imagine Crombell is just going to pull something out of his rear end to become a bigger threat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I read caught up with Dice yesterday. It's pretty interesting. I'm really hoping that there doesn't end up being some overarching "Eunju was right and they shouldn't have used Dice to change themselves" message, since I kind of agree with the characters who call her out on already being pretty/talented (even though she probably has some sort of tragic backstory with the scar, she's unquestionably benefited otherwise). I mean, we've even seen the main character's life objectively improve.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lyon posted:

I just caught up today and I think the dice by themselves would be fine but X/quests/human nature turn the dice into a downward spiral of horribleness/destruction. Is the school/local society better off with the discovery of the dice? Not that it was great before by any means (bullying is terrible) but the number of deaths, serious injuries, attacks, fights, etc have all dramatically increased. None of the dicers are really able to friends with another dicer.

I kind of figure that X has set it up this way on purpose because Dongtae (for instance) is a nice person and probably would have lost his desire to keep chasing dice if not for the advent of "bad" dicers who he has to oppose. Now his desire will be to be strong enough to protect his love interest/friends/school/whatever so X can continue to pit him against other dicers ultimately leading to whatever X's goal is.

Oh, the dice are definitely having a negative impact on the school/community as a whole and X certainly doesn't have good intentions. I would just disagree with a message that using the dice is inherently wrong and that Dongtae was wrong to use them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pandaK posted:

Has anyone heard of any news on Dr. Frost? Last I heard the most recent scanlation said it was slated to actually get a live action drama and then the scanlations stop at that point.

I hope that's true, Dr. Frost is a series with some pretty significant social value in a culture that generally shuns people with mental illness.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

I tried reading Dr. Frost and while I commend it for focusing on mental illness um, it's kinda close to reality as CSI is to actual police work. In other words, it's a challenge to read series when you have a higher than average understanding of the concept it's based on which ruins (my) fun.

Oh, absolutely. I mean that it's valuable in the sense that it presents the topic of therapy/mental illness in a positive light. "Therapy can help you if you suffer from depression/mental illness" is at least true and useful for people to know, while "police are almost always right and catch the bad guys" doesn't exactly have as much social value.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually think I like the comedy parts of Noblesse more than the action. I tend to like the comedy in Korean web-comics/manhwa more than the comedy in Japanese manga for some reason.

edit: Rai doing normal people things never gets old. I'm at the part where the Lord goes to school with them and it's also pretty great.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 20, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, Hive really makes my skin crawl. Giant insects are really creepy.

edit: Haha holy poo poo, the part with the wasp carrying the armor piercing round. Didn't expect that.

I like how the characters in this series are almost all pretty competent. I just got to the part where the main character's wife encounters his shady boss, and it was nice to discover that she was also aware of his shadiness and purposely playing along.

Just caught up. I'm curious to see what happens with the woman they're traveling with (I can't remember anyone's name in this comic). It's obvious she's being controlled or influenced in some way by the bugs, but it isn't clear yet how. I'm really liking the story/characters; it's like a zombie/post-apocalyptic story where people/governments behave relatively realistically.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 7, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

In Korean webtoon news, Naver webtoon My Boyfriend has been canceled due to controversy about the author plagiarizing the art and coloring style of Tan Jiu and Old Xian.

Link to a post on a Korean forum where someone posts side-by-side comparisons of My Boyfriend and works (Tamen De Gushi and 19 Days) of the two Chinese artists.
Link to the author's blog, where the author claims to have been initially just taking inspiration / reference from said Chinese artists.
Link to the author's announcement / apology on Naver.

That's pretty bizarre; it just seems like he's using a lot of positions that people would naturally be in. It's not like the other author/artist patented "sitting on your bed" or "slamming your forehead into someone else's forehead."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some of the running jokes in Girls of the Wild's are absolutely hilarious. I love the gangster guy who gushes over the Pug (and also just randomly starts living at Hyeshin's house) and the scenes where Queen's brother is hanging out with Jaegu's kid siblings. It's also really funny when Queen is just standing there stoically, while her mind is filled with a bunch of shoujo tropes involving Jaegu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Being charmed by Jaegu runs in Queen's family.

I also like how multiple characters (particulary Jaeoh and tall kungfu girl, who are cool dudes/dudettes) have called out Jaegu on being awful and leading on Daldal and not making his intentions known with Queen. Other people in the world of this comic are actually aware of the fact that the main character has that "protagonist is asexual and socially retarded with respect to girls/relationships" problem that seems to show up in so much romantic fiction. I do wish they'd go ahead and move forward with things, though; they've already planted the seeds of Daldal being interested in that college guy and it's obvious that there's going to be some "Daldal realizes that she wasn't really in love with Jaegu" moment in the future.

I think Moonyoung and that tall kungfu girl are my favorite characters. Moonyoung owns and Jaegu is a fool for ignoring her advances early in the series, though at least she seems happy with Gangrok.

edit: As a side note, Queen's brother is a douchebag for continuing to charge Jaegu rent. One of his random helicopter trips would probably be worth a year of Jaegu's rent. I'm generally not really fond of "rich people spending money in ridiculous ways" being treated as just some silly form of characterization, particularly when it's shown directly alongside a dude who is living in abject poverty. It's one thing if the setting is 100% joking/not serious, but this series has been pretty clear about the fact that Jaegu's life is awful and stressful due to his poverty. I also imagine the weird "families controlling huge conglomerates and passing on ownership to children via nepotism" thing is something that is considered more acceptable in Korea/East Asia for whatever reason.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 26, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just caught up with Dice (I had previous only read through chapter 50 or so). While I agree with Eunju about the dice being a Bad Thing, that's only really the case because of the mechanism of acquiring them and control by X. I like that the author hasn't taken a more typical route that claims she is completely correct in her views and aptly points out that others (like the MC) lived terrible lives through no fault of their own, and that it's extremely naive (if not downright evil in the sense of lacking empathy towards others) for her to claim that things were good beforehand. While there's obviously going to be some "but her home life had/has issues!" reveal in the future that is somehow related to her scar, it doesn't change the fact that she was still able to feel happy with the pre-Dice status quo and had many gifts (intellinence/talents/appearance) that many don't.

While normally I would attribute her view to "being a self-centered teenager," the fact that she continued to hold the same views after having other characters directly express to her that their lives have improved through the use of Dice kind of removes that excuse.

I'm hoping that the conclusion doesn't somehow involve everyone returning to normal and learning to be happy with their lives, as that would be a bit of a cop-out given the issues the comic has already discussed. The fact that, even now, despite everything that has happened, Dongtae still strongly believes his life has been improved by the Dice makes me have hope that this won't be the case. If the plot was headed in that direction, it probably would have been stated/displayed that Dongtae is now more unhappy than he was pre-Dice.

I was pretty surprised by the recent reveal that Taebin had Mooyoung's personality all along. While it was a bit contrived, I'm curious as to how Taebin's character will progress as a result.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone read Subtle Disaster? It's incredibly good and has amazing art, but has to be one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever read. I'm just constantly cringing.

I really liked how (early on spoiler)you start out thinking that he was going to end up in a romance with his cute neighbor, but later find out that she's totally insane.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

202 is a legitimate psychopath :stonk:

I think you mean 203, I think the protagonist is 202 (not that he isn't also a little nutty, but he's not on the same level of nuttiness as the girl).

I also read Afterschool Military Activities this evening. It was extremely good, just like everything else by that author (Annasumarana and God of Bath that I've read). He's really a genius.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

Subtle Disaster is pretty great and I'm only on Episode 3 with Hive but those first 3 chapters where awesome.

The ending of Subtle Disaster was certainly A Thing. It was just an extremely well-done series all-around; it was obvious the author knew exactly what he wanted the plot to be from the very beginning, and it was executed very well. Even though the guilt was really shared between all occupants, I was happy that one terrible lady ended up getting hosed over in the end. She was a lot more openly malicious than a lot of the other people (who were often acting in desperation or due to mob mentality).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

So there's a manwha adaptation of Star Wars.

Yeah, it apparently is "officially" condoned by whatever the organization is that's in charge of Star Wars now (Disney?), and whatever side stories occur (it seems like the main plot is just telling the regular Star Wars story) might be considered canon.

So far it seems pretty good and has really nice art.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Girls of the Wild's is pretty dumb, but "quiet strong girl secretly has innocent crush and likes cute things" is a trope that is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That Works posted:

Yeah its pretty good with that. I was trying to think about what I liked about it and this is a good point.

I've been reading God of High School and it is so crazy (in an entertaning way). It starts out like a martial arts comic and then the characters start to get what amount to stands, and then the main character is goku.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is anyone reading Cheese in the Trap? Apparently a live action drama started recently. I like the casting of the drama, though it seems to be doing different things with the plot (and the live action actor for Jung comes off as less creepy than the Jung of the webcomic).

As for the webcomic, I really like it so far. I like the whole unreliable narrator thing going on where the reader isn't sure if Jung is actually a sociopath or if Seol is just being paranoid. So far it definitely seems like Jung is at least partially hosed in the head, especially after the recent flashback where it's revealed that his dad also used to be hosed up and is worried about his son being the same way, including the scary social engineering incident with his mother's picture frame. Jung has also done some stuff that is definitely wrong, like blackmailing the TA; while the TA did steal from him, the correct response is to either make him pay you back or sue him/tell the police, not to blackmail him. Most of the comments seem to think Inho would be better with Seol, and I agree, but I seriously doubt it's going to happen; Inho represents less of a "challenge" and is a very typical "second guy", down to the hair color-coding. The only reason I think there's a less than 100% chance of her ending up with Jung is the fact that she started dating him relatively early and never had any sort of clear romantic tension with Inho.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jwang posted:

I really have to plug Lookism again, because seriously it's really well written. It's funny and lighthearted at times, yet at the same time it takes a good look at how superficial people can be at judging things.

I'm kind of concerned lookism is going to inevitably end up with a "you know, my original body was better all along" ending, despite the fact that he was only able to have all these positive experiences due to his new body and was frequently treated poorly with his old body regardless of his behavior/personality. It's kind of a tough situation, because on one hand "being good looking truly is objectively superior" is a kind of depressing conclusion, but "being super ugly won't significantly negatively impact your life" isn't really true.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought he already unsealed the seal once or twice in the past (and I want to say that one time might have been against some sub-family leader level dude though I could be wrong about that).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

What's the call on talking about "Western" webtoons? Seriously, I could gush over Siren's Lament and Always Human till the end of time.

Edit: Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go back to Girls of the Wilds this whole prolonging nonsense wasn't cute in Nisekoi and it's not cute here.

There's a thread in the BSS subforum for western web comics/webtoons, so that might be the best place to discuss them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

Annarasumnara, I think, just destroyed my soul, holy crap. It's one of the few I've read that have made me feel genuinely empty inside. Is God of Bath as good as this is?

All the stuff I've read by that guy is really good. The one about high school students fighting in a war is also interesting (I forget its name). Honestly, that manhwa author probably writes the only manhwa that I consider really good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, Raizel would probably have en easier time against enemies if he didn't tank literally every attack. He'll just stand there while an enemy charges up some gently caress-off attack and then take it head on.

edit: Or, in the case of this fight, stand there and wait for the enemy to regenerate after each major attack, ensuring that his previous efforts go to waste.

edit2: Oh wait, he actually did dodge something in chapter 446! It's a miracle.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 7, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Even if he could transfer his power, the human kids are like the very last people he'd want to give it to. It'd be Noblesse: M21 is relevant now!

M21 has actually been pretty relevant for a while now, at least relative to the rest of the supporting cast. He's about as strong as a strong werewolf and can temporarily avoid being dominated by even the top werewolf warriors (who are basically the equivalent of vampire clan leaders). He was also pretty relevant to this whole werewolf plot, what with his capture leading to this whole battle.

It's Takeo who has jack-all to do now (at least the other guy is in charge of their home's security technology or something). And the kids, of course. I feel bad that the red-head guy hasn't had more of a role, since it was really badass when he took on some superhuman thing early in the comic with just his human strength.

edit: I also finally got around to reading the end of Girls of the Wild's. I just skipped to the last chapter (I had last stopped reading soon after Queen and Jaegu had made their interest explicit and Jaegu rejected her for some dumb reason). Apparently Korean romcoms can also have stupid "the girl and guy are randomly separated and find each other at the last moment in an epilogue" endings.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 7, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I read this Lezhin webtoon called "4 Cut Hero" and while it has some Dumb Anime Bullshit I found it thoroughly entertaining and the artist is really great at conveying a sense of things like motion, speed, impact, etc during fight scenes. There are also some pretty great dragon battles.

It starts out like a pure gag manga for the first few chapters, but once the plot kicks in it's actually a pretty decent fantasy plot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of The Breaker, there was an interesting chapter at some point where the authors discussed going to Paris for some Japan Expo. They mentioned how Korean Manhwa had this one small booth all by itself and they were really worried about being completely ignored, but that they were really happy/surprised with the number of foreign fans and how the foreign enthusiasm actually seemed greater than the enthusiasm among Korean fans. I think at one point they mention how they never expected to see people cosplaying as the characters they invented. They also discussed the issue of scans and mentioned how the whole "take down when licensed" principle doesn't really exist in Korea (so it's pretty much a net negative for the authors there) but they were interested to hear about how many people learned about their series through Western scans.

The artist apparently drew custom drawings (+ signature) for a limited set of people who signed up beforehand. That's be really neat, because the artist for the The Breaker (the artist and writer are separate) is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I know a lot of people dislike the webtoons format (One long scroll page) but I find it perfectly fine. If naver had a booth in my local comic convention (Salt Lake Comic Con) I'd go visit and buy stuff.

I think the webtoons format is perfectly suited to smart phones (moreso than a regular comic format), which is the medium they're meant to be read on in the first place. I think a lot of the negative sentiment comes from them being read on scanlation sites where they're split up into pages.

I also think that webtoons are also sorta like a merging of comics and television. You can see this in the way a lot of webtoons have "seasons" and previews and stuff.