Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Argue posted:

Man what is it with Korean isekai going in the opposite direction from Japanese ones--in Japanese ones a common criticism is that we know nothing about the main character before the transmigration, but in Korean ones, they spend like 1 to 3 chapters in their world in a completely different genre of manhwa with its own supporting cast and character relationships before the main character gets mugged by an unknown assailant (which seems to be their version of a truck), then they get isekaied and we never see or hear from any of these characters again

I actually haven't seen many Korean isekai - it seems like the two most common similar genres are "portals opening up in the real world and people getting powers to fight them" and "VRMMO"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elite posted:

I wouldn’t call Solo Levelling and Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint isekai exactly.

Definitely significant similarities sure, but if anything it’s the reversal of a typical isekai. Instead of someone from modern society being (permanently) thrust into a strange and different fantasy land, you have creatures from fantasy lands invading modern society (and heroes/players/challengers only briefly go to fantasy lands to clear dungeons/missions). And seeing as there’s about a thousand Korean webtoons with this exact setting (including having an obligatory tower for people to climb) seems like there’s a meaningful distinction to be made between isekai and this ‘dungeons/gates invading’ setting.

I feel like there's an interesting difference between the core fantasies of each setting.

The modern isekai setting centers around a wish to escape all the trappings of modern society. The "gate" setting, on the other hand, is a wish to "be special within an altered version of our existing society." You don't want to have a mundane normal life, but you still want to stay in Korea and retain a connection with our society (just with yourself as a powerful elite).

There's probably some sort of complex social reason for the prevalence of the latter in Korea vs the former in Japan, though I don't know what it is myself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eleceed owns because it spends a lot more effort on the best part of Noblesse - the comedy.

Everything involving Kayden is great. Love to see the cat get smug because he is proud of his son.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

I consider those to be ESL notes, where they are trying to teach the reader English at the same time. But I have to wonder why they are even using words they don't expect their audience to know.

This is also my best guess. I'm imagining a scenario where the translator themselves is ESL, came across this term when looking up the English for a word they weren't sure how to translate* (or only learned it later themselves for another reason), and is concerned other readers won't understand.

* to use the "copper" one as an example, I'm imagining a scenario where they came across the cop slang in Korean, had no idea what slang you use for "cop" in English, and came across this term while looking it up. They then wanted to clarify for the audience (and this could possibly be because they're uncertain about the vocabulary choice - like maybe they - kinda correctly in this case - weren't sure if "copper" is actually a common slang for "cop").