Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
So Knight Run is some good space opera, but Pray is a fan-fic level Mary Sue. So I'm not sure if I'll even bother keeping up with it.

Anyone else reading it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Anne is probably more sympathetic and therefore more of a Mary Sue, I guess. At least she is clearly less powerful than someone in the series (Pray), though. Still, despite being acknowledged as mentally unstable, Pray is presented with a war orphan background, which makes her instability hard to hold against her. Likewise, being willing to kill to protect a loved one isn't entirely unsympathetic, especially when most of the victims are traitors or thugs running child prostitution rings.

At the same time, she's presented as being above and beyond anyone at everything she does, and even after she is revealed to be an alien, she's still the best alien queen ever.

Maybe I'm wrong and her character is just being presented very heavily from Anne's point of view. I hope so.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
http://mangafox.me/manga/knight_run/c046/1.html

New Knight Run. This translation :negative:

This chapter seems like it would be hard as gently caress to translate though, so I can't really blame them for it seeming a bit muddled.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Bremen posted:

Korean office buildings are the true losers of Noblesse

Lukedonia and the Union are really fighting over dominance of the lucrative construction industry. It's a self-sustaining cycle!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Or Tower of God for some straight-up shonen action. And Mangator.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
So I read up to the latest Kubera, and I have this to say:

Vishnu? More like Bishnu.

(Although it is nowhere near Noblesse in that department).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Lyon posted:

I took the implication to be that Ghandharva will make his decision and end up siding with her. I think Ghandharva will be as weak or as strong as the author wants, so if the priestess is going to live Ghandharva will be able to defeat the other Sura.

Didn't Ghandharva fight off Agni, even in his diminished state? Nastika are stronger than Gods, but not so much in their human forms. And Sagara basically talked her way out of dodge with Agni. Which wound imply that however weakened he is, Ghandgarva is still weak relative to his usual state of being able to eat a planet for breakfast.

Although Yuna reads him as vulnerable prey in his current state. But Yuna is potentially fuckoff powerful, what with being the son of a Nastika and a Primal God and all. Is there even another being like him in the setting?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
The premise reminds me a lot of Qualia the Purple. I could see this guy existing in that universe.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Mo_Steel posted:

The Breaker New Waves: Pedal to the floor until this thing breaks apart. :black101:

Should be interesting to see how this clash unfolds. 9AD clearly doesn't care about civilians being caught up in the situation.

It looked like his crew only killed the mooks. They seem the type to be able to avoid civilian casualties by just being that drat good.

That fight was some distracting Hawkeye Initiative bullshit. If I wanted to beat off, I wouldn't be reading a fight manwha. Just make her look cool, I'm reading this to see cool fights.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Ethiser posted:

He absorbs the internet and has to pass an impossible sanity check.

More like he learns a lot of straightforward, useful tips and suddenly knows a lot about things like makeup application and things that you can do with baking soda.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Oh look its someone you give a poo poo about.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Kubera has been pretty good lately. Its good to see Leez stepping out from Asha's shadow. Also I feel bad for everyone, but especially Leez and Yuta.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 20, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Mindblast posted:

I don't think Leez is actually the one doing anything. She's possessed I thought?e: and odds are it's the God who made/owned the sword iirc anyway so all bets are off.

No, it's all her right now. Killing Maruna as revenge for the destruction of her village has been Leez' primary motivation since the beginning of the strip. She has a God-level item that mimics many of God Kubera's powers. She seems to in some sense also "be" Kubera due to God Kubera's loss of his name and place in the universe due to whatever he did to Ananta. And according to Agni, a God's name is an integral part of its being, inseparable from their mind, identity, and power.

The Sword of Re was made by Kali to gently caress-up Shiva, but it didn't work out so she literally tossed it away.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
That's called "character development," although it is kind of sudden. I think it's more coming from reflecting on how Asha treats her.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
I don't know how relevant it is, but in Hindu mythology, Ananta is an incarnation of Vishnu, whose name means "The Eternal Lord." And his death pissed off the Primordial Gods.

The Sura aren't just after Leez. They're after anything that links God Kubera to the world, which is why they went after his god-level items in the Temple of Earth in the most recent attack. I think that they're trying to help push the name Kubera out of existence. Why God Kubera helped them I have no idea, but it might be that he agreed to certain terms when entering the conflict over his name. Asha has some stake in the conflict as well, evidently with different goals than either the Sura or God Kubera. It's just speculation, but I think God Kubera may be her father.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Captain Invictus posted:

Also I believe someone mentioned that since it's Korean a lot of the characters and attitudes are very (and literally) foreign to western audiences, certain things we don't condone are the norm there, etc so the mindsets are different and can seem more repugnant than they probably mean to be.

Having once pointed out to a landlord that I could simply change the locks and it would take him months to get a bailiff down to kick me out, giving someone a week to move out is pretty hilarious. (I assume that is what they are talking about).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Lyon posted:

Noblesse 322. Focuses on the small fry but the final panel is pretty cool.

I kept expecting them to let werewolf dude in on the fact that it was his own team messing around with werewolf/human hybrids. I kind of get the feeling they're going to end up siding with the good guys, anyhow.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
That and this Muzaka guy, who is supposedly on Raziel's level.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
It's already basically been spelled out that Muzaka wants to kill all humans because they killed someone important to him. I'm guessing he fell in love with a human girl.

Rai's job is to protect humans from more powerful beings, so he had a problem with that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Bernardo Orel posted:

http://mngacow.com/The-Breaker-New-Waves/169/ STOP playing with my emotions so much god damnit! :black101:

Shi-oon's reaction to meeting a mysterious masked man is so great :allears:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what other options did she even have? so much of her journey consisted of enigmatic assholes refusing to tell her anything.

The technique is called "crane dances through sewage." It consists of uttering the simple phrase:

"I need accurate information if I'm going to make good decisions. If I suspect that information from you is unreliable, I cannot follow your lead in a crisis."

However! None have mastered the use of this technique in 4000 years of human literature!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm reading through Season 3 of Kubera, and I liked the part where (episode 30-something) newly pseudo-immortal Brillith meets Leez and is like "heh doesn't matter if I die the universe is infinite..." and Leez is like "universe is being destroyed yo."

It's interesting how new revelations change your perception of characters, like Agni, in this case. Suddenly, rather than the "kind, goofy/well-meaning god," he's revealed to basically be a total coward who, like seemingly all Gods, has lost any real sense of perspective. I'm not sure how much I agree with Leez about Sura still being worse then Gods. I would say that Sura are more harmful, but that Gods have less of an excuse. Sura are basically raised in an environment that turns them into beings who don't value life in the same way as humans, while (as Brillith mentioned) Gods have just proven themselves completely incapable of understanding that they're basically just people with immortality and special powers.

I'm curious to find out what Brillith is referring to with this "other race" (that she is presumably connected to and explains both her being immune to Insight and being pseudo-immortal).

Basically all of this is directly addressed in currently translated issues, but I don't want to comment because you aren't caught up.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm caught up with Kubera now. I'm curious about what Ran's deal is; IIRC he's a direct descendent of Yaksha.

I really like how this series actually has things occur in ways that make sense, rather than ways that would just be pleasing to the reader. A couple examples that come to mind are :

- the situation with Yuta, where even after years it's actually just flat-out impossible for a relationship between him and Leez to work, and no amount of willpower will magically solve that problem
- the situation with Gandharva (and a number of other Sura, for that matter), where they don't magically develop the ability to empathize with humans and even Gandharva's comparatively "kind" behavior was completely contingent on him finding his daughter. They mentioned Nastikas being inflexible, and this has held true. I think Maruna will likely have an actual change of heart at some point, though; they explicitly mentioned that Rakshasa are more flexible and capable of change

I have one question about something I think I must have missed - Leez mentioned Maruna not having killed her village because they were already dead or something; was this ever explained? From what I understand, her mom had already died, and she summoned a god or something (I don't think this has been elaborated on yet), but I don't understand what's going on with the rest of the village.

The situation with Leez' village hasn't been explained, but she summoned God Kuberam who evidently created an illusion of the village for her.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

KittyEmpress posted:

I've rather taken a liking to Mount Hua Reincarnation, partially because I just love Wuxia and love that this one doesn't use video game stats to represent power, but also because despite clearly being powerful and cheating with future knowledge, the protagonist, while super powerful for his age, is constantly aware that even with every short cut and mystical item he grabs, he is still no match for the truly talented big dogs, so he is going out of his way to solve their problems and make them his allies.

Way better than some series that go too far into 'I can do everything alone because I'm so amazingly powerful'

Kubera is good that way too. Leez even turns down an offer to be given a name that would allow her to clown superior sura because she isn't interested in power for its own sake. Also because the one making the offer was Kali, of course, but still.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Ytlaya posted:

The whole deal with Leez's character is that her situation is a tragedy and she has understandable reasons to feel hopeless. And remember that she knows she only has a couple years (or whatever it was) left to live. When you pile on top of that her learning that even her relatively happy earlier life was apparently largely a lie, it isn't surprising that she'd be pretty broken mentally/emotionally. Also, there are many characters other than Leez who receive significant focus (Leez didn't even show up for almost the entire 3rd Season until fairly recently). Not wanting to read something depressing is completely understandable, but it's not an actual flaw with the story/character.

Kubera is kind of in a class of its own compared with almost every other remotely similar series we discuss, to the extent it feels weird to even compare them. Like, most of the other series that are discussed I judge in terms of how well-executed they are as "pulp entertainment" (like the aforementioned Solo Leveling thing), while Kubera actually has a genuinely interesting plot and cast.

The thing with Kubera is that you know every character's arc is going to end in a soul-crushing manner because it's a tragedy. But it's also so, so good.

You left out the one person who would otherwise specifically care about her above anyone else (she does have a few stalwarts like Ran who are friends, but he for example has a family to worry about) not only has to act as if he doesn't lover her, but actually has to suppress the emotion itself because Kali specifically designed him to be (to put it lightly) abusive.

While we're talking, Leez was totally Vishnu's candidate. Now that it's obvious that Asha was Kali's, it makes more sense. Also, I had the feeling that Kali wouldn't be an unqualified monster, and it seems like it's going in the direction I thought it was- the other Primordial Gods are so laser-focused on making a perfect universe, they have no respect for the agency of the inhabitants. So Kali is dedicated to destroying every universe to prove that you can't just manipulate people into enlightenment. In Hindu texts, the only thing that can stop Kali is Shiva submitting to her, and her rage is rooted in universal love.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 21, 2019

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Gologle posted:

So what's going on with Kubera, is it getting to a point where those of us who abstained from reading it regularly, waiting for the end, can hop on, or are we still like a year out from doing that?

There have been revelations, which have only lead to further mysteries.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Kubera:

Asha has recently floated the notion that Vishnu and Kali might not be entirely opposed on the relatively small scale of recent events in the universe. Vishnu's deal is that he's a sort of spiritual utilitarian and wants to maximize the good on a scale that's utterly beyond humans and doesn't necessarily mean good things for something as ultimately expendable as a universe.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
catching up on the new kubera and lol at maruna and ran becoming friends by being dumped in a seemingly eternal featureless void

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

is there a known uh, origin comic for the "monster/dungeon gates opened on earth, random people got super powers, we throw the supers into the gates" genre?

Probably that one anime based loosely on Ali Baba and Sinbad and so forth? The name escapes me.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Although it remains not really what OP is talking about, Gantz is also kind of similar except with missions instead of dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
shi-woon must not be allowed to kick rear end in any way but extreme endurance and determination and enthusiasm for training until he has witnessed all the badass grandpas and maybe even a badass granny