Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Grouchio posted:

When I read a korean webtoon, I've felt that on average the plot, characters, motivations and planning feel underdeveloped, less thought out; shallow. The artwork feels wanting. It's like I'm gazing at a genre stuck in the formative 70s. I don't know how else to describe it.

A lot of the popular korean stuff I've read gives me the same feeling as Bleach. Like, stuff is happening but I don't care about any of the characters or plot and there's so much blank space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I laugh when the unit of measurement for power levels is years

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
in the web novel barbarian girl goes off to train in barbarian land for like 100 chapters shortly after that

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Clarste posted:

For some reason I very specifically can't get into any of those "gates open up on earth, people form video game guilds for some reason" series.

yeah, I've tried a bunch of them and can't think of one I'd recommend.

Jose posted:

it feels heavily influenced by alien/gygax rather than the generic DnD enemies

I know you meant giger but it's funny because gygax is the creator d&d

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 4, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I always assumed that korean escapist power fantasies are a reaction to how absurdly neo-confucian korean society is, and that korean guys are bitter about wasting part of their youth on military service that didn't actually let them do anything cool.