Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Just got done reading the new Robo.

Did Wegener change up his inking style for this one or something? It seems more "cartoony," for want of a better word, than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That was something I was actually wondering about since I saw Robo mention he gets RSS feeds in his head: if they've been able to modify him after the fact to add stuff like his "headphone" or if his centuries-ahead-of-its-time fancy robot brain was just that adaptable.

If it's the former, then I do hope we eventually get to see Atomic Robo and the Carefully Hidden Feet, where an adventure in the '90s forces Robo to A) enter cyberspace B) replace at least one limb with a gun and C) wear a trenchcoat.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Covok posted:

This is mostly posed at the thread and will be an odd question, but I'm thinking of starting a play-by-post game using Atomic Robo's RPG called "From Robo With Love." I'm thinking of having it be a short campaign involving some "soviet" espionage action. My main problem: I can't think of a good reason for how the Soviets would capture Robo. See, I didn't want to deal with the "Who gets to be Robo" thing so I wanted saving Robo to be the objective. Problem is, I just can't think of a good way for Robo to get caught and for Telsadyne to assume the USSR is behind it.

Then again, I could be focusing too much on having Robo be caught near the USSR. Thinking about it now, getting ambushed by agents in his apartment could suffice.

In the 1957 chapter of Shadow from Beyond Time, Robo is out looking for bits that fell off of Sputnik. That particular trip ends in Lovecraftian terror, sure, but he eventually finds one. An overwhelming force of USSR action scientists find it at the same time, and they came prepared with methods of capturing Robo; you could maybe have them equipped with Heisengard tech they barely understand or something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Covok posted:

If they don't have Robo's heart yet, what is Robo running on?

Before, it was a couple of car batteries. Now, he could just be plugged into the wall.

The question as I understand it is portability, not necessarily raw consumption.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Covok posted:

This made me wonder the oddest thing: Does Robo wear clothes and feel embarrassed naked because Tesla programmed him to feel that way or because he learned that behavior from his environment, if you ever gave this thought?

I want to say Hyperactive's mentioned in the past that Robo wears clothing as a way of establishing that he is in fact a person.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It'd almost certainly have to be some kind of electric field, because Tesla.

But really, nerves are just conductors for tiny electrical impulses. If his entire body is weakly conductive, and something about his brain or heart was always transmitting and receiving a weak charge from the surface level, he'd have a sense of touch, or near enough to one. It might necessitate that he has to be careful when handling certain sensitive equipment, but most of what we've seen him work on is high-end rocketry and other mechanical engineering projects.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

BooDoug187 posted:

So with this Nazi attack station is Robo going to have to call Miranda Zero and the Global Frequency for help? I mean they do have some experience hijacking rogue attack satellites and what not.

To be fair, Ellis didn't invent the idea of the kinetic harpoon. Depending on how refined the idea is, you could attribute it to the Lensman books, Niven, or Heinlein.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

8one6 posted:

The station's a big rail gun right? Shouldn't there be a power source Robo could tap into to extend his operational window while up there?

A "traditional" design for a kinetic harpoon has no firing mechanism. You let gravity, momentum, and re-entry do all the work for you, and the projectile itself is basically a tungsten fence post. All you need is a mechanism to tell it when to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

The terrain favors the tanks. Plus the motorcycle necessarily has to take a zig-zagging path to avoid explosions while the tanks can go straight ahead.

I have to figure Robo's got a few pounds on the driver that the bike's designed to carry, too.

• Locked thread