Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What is it?
Atomic Robo is a story about action, adventure, robots and most importantly SCIENCE! The series, written by Brian Clevinger with art by Scott Wegener, is a fun, pulpy adventure series starring a robot created by Nikola Tesla and his adventures ranging from before World War 2 to the modern era dealing with foes ranging from gangsters to Nazis to time traveling dinosaurs.

Cast of Characters

The Good Guys
Atomic Robo:

Built by Tesla he travels the world with the Action Scientists of Tesladyne solving problems with action science and guns and bombs.

Jenkins:

The lone survivor of the Vampire Dimension. Jenknis is tough as nails and isn't afraid of anything or anyone.

The Action Scientists: Robo's go to paramilitary force that help him save the day with action science.

The Bad Guys
H'ssssk Dr. Dinosaur:

The dumbest smartest dinosaur ever. He and Robo don't get along. Also you can follow him on twitter.

Baron Heinrich Von Helsingard:

A Nazi scientist first fought by robo in 1939. He's been a thorn in the side of Tesladyne ever since.

Of course there's more characters than this but if you want to know more go buy a trade and start reading! Which brings us to...

Where to start?
ANYWHERE! The best part of this series is that you can pick up any trade and be all set. There are some references to previous stories but nothing you absolutely have to catch to understand the story. Though really if you read one you're going to want to read the rest because it's just that drat good.

Volume 1: Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

The first Robo adventure introducing you to Tesladyne and it's action scientists. In this volume alone Robo stops a Nazi supervillain from conquering the world, fights giant ants and does combat with robot mummies. This is just good comic
book fun pure and simple. I would suggest starting here just because it's the first one and gives you an idea of what to look forward to.

Volume 2: Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War

The second adventure puts Robo behind the scenes of World War 2 to stop nazi mechs from turning the tides of battle. This turns into a web of intrigue involving British spys and genetically engineered monstrosities. Probably one of the darker stories in the series.

Volume 3: Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond time

The third story has the universe in danger of being destroyed by a non-linear, non-euclidean, Lovecraftean horror and only Robo, Robo, Robo and Robo can save the day.

Volume 4: Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness

This volume is packed chock full of ACTION SCIENCE. It features vampires, kaiju, dinosaurs and ghosts! According to Wikipedia it also has some mini-stories that hadn't been printed before but I don't own this one yet so no idea if that's right or not.

Volume 5: Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science

The Deadly Art of Science takes place in the life of young Robo. This Robo is young and innocent spending his time helping Tesla around the lab reading pulp fiction until he ends up wrapped up in a daring tale of intrigue of his own! Teaming up with a real life pulp crime fighter they fight gangsters in cahoots with dark forces beyond human understanding!

Volume 6: Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X

The most recent mini to conclude begins with Robo flying to the emergency rescue of astronauts in jeopardy and finding a web of danger that had been in the works for decades! Will robo survive to solve the mystery of Station x!?

Ongoing series Atomic Robo Real Science Adventures

A new series with only one issue out so far. It's untold tales of Robo through his life. Issue two comes out May second.

Where to get it?
Now that you know more about the series you're probably asking yourself "But where can I get this fine series? I MUST HAVE IT!" And to that I have to say many places! Your local comic shop should have it in stock and if they don't will be more than willing to order if for you. If you don't have a local shop and want to get trades you can always use Amazon or In Stock Trades. If you want singles I don't exactly know where to get those but if someone posts it I'll edit that in no problem. You can find digital copies for absurdly low prices at Comixology if digital or absurdly low prices are your thing!

If you want to get your feet wet here's some :siren:FREE:siren: Robo comics:
FCBD 2008
FCBD 2009
FCBD 2010
FCBD 2011
FCBD 2012
The Yonkers Devil
MXII
The Getaway
Rescue Mission
The Lizard Man
Nikola Tesla’s Electric Sky Schooner (From Adventures In Science)

What are you still doing reading this? Go read Atomic Robo!

Links!
Official Website
The Team Robot Manifesto
Tesladyne Orientation Video
Audio Commentary for Volume 7 (and maybe beyond)
Coming this June Atomic Robo Volume 7 The Flying She-Devils of the Pacific. Here's what I've been able to find about it: "It's called The Flying She-Devils of the Pacific. If there's another combination of English words that could better sell you on a comic book than those, it probably involves 'give you' and 'a million dollars.'"

And there was a recent kickstarter to fund the production of an Atomic Robo animated short. It succeeded with flying colors! Production of the short is set to resume in June. And there were enough donations to get a Dr. Dinosaur Pinball game made for computers and iThings.

If I'm missing anything let me know and I'll get it added in.

Len fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Forum goon Hyperactive is really Mr. Clevinger and has been answering various questions in the thread. Feel free to ask him things!

When do we see Robo punching Hitler?
Never, actually! We try to let real historical figures keep their real historical accomplishments. Atomic Robo isn't about a robot who solved racism when he stopped the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Kennedy. It's about a robot who put an end to the top secret Nazi Special Weapons Division which allowed the Allied Forces to advance into Europe.

I was really worried from the first two volumes that I was getting a watery version of hellboy. Near-invulnerable wizecracking weirdness-weary protagonist fistfights nazis, then a nazi brain in a jar, then the ghost of rasputin (which had to be a direct homage, right?) then coming next: cthulhu horrors? I know I'm not just cherry picking similarities, hellboy must have been a big influence on the whole style and feel of the early volumes.

No one believes this, but: nope.

I'd been working on Robo since 1996. My exposure to Hellboy prior to the films was seeing graphic novel covers at Barnes & Noble. I never picked one up, but my assumption was that Hellboy was the head monster the people fought.

Then the movie came out and I finally cracked down to read some of the books.

Whoooooops.

It's easy to draw similarities, but you can do it with Batman and Spider-Man too. But no one does. Because they've been around forever, so each one has had time to mark out its specific territory. We did the WW2 and Cthulhu stories first to dive right into Hellboy's domain. The similarities are obvious, so it behooved us to get straight to the counter examples to show what's different: the humor, the tone, the pacing, the use of time, the role of history, Robo's relationship to the people he knows and humanity at large, etc.

Volume 3 was specifically engineered to be the Little Mac uppercut to the Hellboy comparison and by and large it worked.

Len fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 12, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

I write the Robos. Got a question? I probably have the answer!

Is there anything you feel the thread needs?

Also are the Dr. Dinosaur figures ever getting a reprint? I have the disposable income for one now but didn't when they were released.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Added those links in for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Manwithastick posted:

Surely super science will allow a Robo Vs Hitler's brain story?

Or a Robo vs a Hitler clone/robot? Seriously though this is one of the best fun comics I've read in a long time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Just thought I'd mention that I bought vol. 1 solely because of this thread, and I am really enjoying it. The art and the humor are exactly my kind of thing. I'll be looking to pick up the other vols. very soon.

On that note, is it just me, or is everyone sold out of vol. 3?

I think volume three is out of print at the moment but it should be back soon (I hope)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bairfanx posted:

He's really never tried to sleep when he was really wanting to be human? I never really felt like he got overly sad, but there have been multiple times he's certainly seemed to want to experience human things (like citizenship or a relationship)

The only Robo stuff I've been less than enthusiastic about was the second volume, which was still enjoyable. The FCBD issues are routinely the best of the books released that day, putting the others to shame.

You can read them in any order, but I'll be damned if that third volume isn't the best. Our LCS has at least one copy, maybe two, Musashi, if you're interested in covering cost+shipping, shoot me a PM. There's digital too, of course, which is a steal.

I don't have PM's but if Musashi doesn't want it or they have two copies I'd be willing to pay for it plus shipping.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I like to think Hellboy and Robo are on each others speeddial and every now and then they just kick bad and talk about what weird poo poo they've been up to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

The Robo RPG will provide for the ability to play as (among a bunch of other stuff) Tesladyne Action Scientists or the agents of similar organizations, canonical or otherwise.

So, in a way, this is totally doable.

Wait what? A Robo RPG?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Yup. Just had our first public play test the other day.

So you'll give us a tip off if there's anything at Gencon right? That would make the trip completely worth it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Riso posted:

Why didn't you tell us there's going to be a Atomic Robo RPG!? Shame on you!

This is one of my favourite comics, because it does not take itself very seriously, and is great fun to read.

I just love this guy:

Yeah it's on the last page. There's not much to the thread you could have read it at least.

Edit: Though for anyone going to Gencon there's games every day which is the best news.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 15, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Thanks! It's hard to pin down the tone of the series. For me, anyway. Most folks refer to it as a comedy, but outside of Dr. Dinosaur I don't see it. We just aren't afraid to let our characters point out what the audience is probably already thinking: this poo poo is weird.

Robo says some drat funny stuff all the time. His tirade about the evil computer is probably one of the funniest moments in the series. Him yelling at his Action Scientists for using Wikipedia is easily a close second though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Xenomrph posted:

Which reminds me, when are we going to see awesome Atomic Robo merchandise and stuff? :rodimus:

Hopefully not until I get disposable income again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For any goons planning to go to Gencon event registration goes live tomorrow and there are quite a few robo games. I'm planning to go to the one Friday at 2. It could be cool to get a goon group.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Only slightly Robo related but will there ever be another Marvel series in the style of Infinity Gauntlet or do fun books not sell well enough for them to bother?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

The editors at Marvel love fun books. But the direct market is not the venue for them. This isn't the fault of the retailers, it's just that most folks buying corporate comics today want their ridiculous super people fights to be Very Important.

drat. I really liked Infinity Gauntlet and Thor the Mighty Avenger and there really needs to be more things like them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Here's a little more!

Sweet! Was that the series that was supposed to be an ongoing but then got cut down to almost nothing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

The very same.

That's a shame. I read Fighting Avenger and it was pretty good though apparently I was the only one because my comic shop had a lot of them :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

I'm glad you guys are enjoying our work. Vol 6 was a proof of concept to see whether or not we were ready for She-Devils. It's not as "powerful" a story as Station X, but it's a huge challenge in terms of story telling and action. First two issues are in the can and they're Scott's best work by a long shot.

Advanced merch options will be explored, but probably not in the short term.

If it's any consolation they sold out in like two hours, so you missed it BIG TIME. Well, probably that was zero consolation. Did you peep the interview with lead designer Mike Olson? Some nice details in there.

I don't even think it was two hours. But I'm totally pumped. If I have to start selling plasma to confirm I can make it I will. Is this just a play test or will I be able to slap some money down for a preorder? Because I will give you guys moneys for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deathlove posted:

Friend of a friend is hooking me up with a ticket. I am ready for science and/or crystals.

The best news. Sorry you didn't get the memo until it was too late :( But at least it's all worked out in the long run

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DancinBrud posted:

I feel like somebody should create a roster of Tesladyne Action Scientists, because I have a tough time keeping them all straight (other than Jenkins!) and I can't refer back to my previous volumes because I'm always lending them out.

If someone does this I'll add it to the OP. I'm away from my issues for now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Yaaay!

I keep meaning to add a roster or character section to the website, but it's a low priority/high effort endeavor that paying work inevitably delays.

On the bright side I'll have to compile that information for the RPG, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it mirrored on the site in some capacity.

I can't wait to try this at Gencon. It's the only event I actually bothered to register for.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bairfanx posted:

It figures that this is the year I'm not going. The second in the last 10 or so :smith:

They sold quick. I was 85 in the queue for tickets and they were almost gone by that point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally got a job again so I was able to make it to pick up Adventures In Science #2. Holy poo poo that crossover.

Edit: What was Rasputin saying?

Len fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 19, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Just in case you're some kind of moron* and don't follow me on Twitter, here's the official Tesladyne Employee Orientation video.

:science:

*I don't make the rules, man.

HAHA This is great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maybe he's talking about a Real Science Adventures issue?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It continues to bother me that I only have issues 3-5 of Deadly Art of Science. Does anyone know where I can get 1 and 2?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Robo in the comic shop was brilliant.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hey Hyperactive what dice will the Robo game be using?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Fudge dice as is standard with FATE games, but it's easy to use six-sided dice instead.

Hopefully the guys at Gencon will have those then. I don't have any :/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was wonderful wednesday. I went to the comic shop and got three Robo issues. They finally managed to scrape up the first issue of She Devils for me. Diamond shorted them when it came out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bumping the thread for a post from a break during the RoboRPG playtest. The system seems fun but this particular session isn't the best. I almost got raped by a nazi at the start of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rantmo posted:

Who the gently caress is running that session?

It was Andy Blanchard.

The game was a lot of fun after it got rolling and past the rape bits. I'm going to spoiler what exactly happened because I know another goon goes tomorrow and I don't know if they're using the same scenario all weekend or not.

Our party consisted of Boilerplate a steam powered robot, Adam Frankensteins Monster, a British Femme Fatale (me), an American soldier and JR Oppenheimer in the body of a schnauzer. The mission was to get JR back in his real body.

I only got almost raped because one of my attempts at rapporting information from a Nazi made him think I was trying to seduce him. I didn't roll high enough so I succeeded with a major consequence. Almost rape was the DM's answer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deathlove posted:

Waiting at GenCon for my demo to start! Wooooo

I hope you don't get almost-raped :ohdear:. The rest of the group even made off topic jokes about how because I was a femme fatal I probably gave it up willingly more than one time :( I'm just not going to play RPG's with random people ever again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

That is all super disappointing.

After that bit of bad awful it got a lot better. I said gently caress his idea and used the system to decide to be a saboteur. So as we made our way through Frankensteins Castle I rigged it all to explode. The system does seem pretty solid and I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The only problem I can see with the Robo rpg is that it might be more fun playing each session with new characters than it would be to keep using one for a long time. But thats not a very big problem really

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bumping the thread with a question about the RPG. Hyperactive you said once that it was going to be possible to play as any organization you felt like playing as so in theory could you use the Robo book to play an XCom style game? The quick character creation would be perfect for playing a game where players drop like flies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

We're intending to make it possible to play as agents from any organization from the pages of Atomic Robo, or any organization that could be found there.

There's also rules for how those organizations can support or hinder characters in the field, and how they'd change during the course of play, so yes, you could easily fake an XCOM game.

Neat! I'm kind of excited for the release of it. Other than the bad GM I had fun with my playtest at Gencon. Will it have additional fluff for the series in it too? If it does I won't feel too bad if it doesn't get played often/ever. The guys I try and play with assure me they want to play things, get a day off to play it, but then plan something else on that day instead leaving me with a game but no players.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

For those of you who missed it, here is our Free Comic Book Day story for 2012.

And here's Tesla's Electric Sky Schooner from Real Science Adventures v1 #3. RSA v2 will be six issues about these guys.

Both stories are collected in the RSA TPB coming at you in December.

I forgot how awesome that teamup was. Though your second link was wrong (at least while I was typing it). Here be the right one. Both of those are going in the OP anything else I should ad/update that you know of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Fixed!

re: more OP stuff

Have you added the Vol 7 (and possibly beyond) audio commentaries?

I have not. I didn't even know those were things. Added

• Locked thread