Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Atomic Robo's the only print book that I EVER pick up anymore. Still great, love every moment.

Being a toy nerd makes desperately want a gi-joe sized Robo to mix in among my joes so he can lead his very own action science team.
(and team up with my tiny hellboy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Volume 6 is out? Fantastic! I was struggling what to get the missus for her birthday, you're the best Brian!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

And I'm not sure why, as I know for a fact Amazon gets our books through Diamond. Sometimes they've been a week or two behind the real release, but July is 100% absurd.

If you're already ordering via mail, might I suggest Midtown Comics? Their discount isn't as deep as Amazon's, but Midtown has it in stock and it'll still be May by the time it's delivered.

Midtown it is, thanks again!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I got the copy from Midtown Comics in record time, and gave it to my wife today, she LOVED it, was utterly wowed by the writing and the art, particularly how expressive Robo can be, considering he...um... has a great poker face.

She said that "Ok, if they said that they didn't write volume seven's story until now, and that the Ghost of Station X was just in preparation of it, volume seven is going to be AWESOME."

I don't know how she manages to talk in all caps, but she does it sometimes.
(By the way, I also enjoyed the HELL out of the book, and it just made me want not only my very own Robo action figure but also a Jenkins action figure.)

Hey, you think maybe we could get a kickstarter going for real articulated Robo action figures?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
He's just mad that he lost that bet.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Good choices!

Wish there was more news to share with you guys, but we're in a data lull at the moment. There are a hundred things going on, but it's all NDA, or spoilers, or too soon to talk about.

Gonna start hacking away at an OP for a new thread, I think. There's nothing wrong with this one, but early 2013 is going to have a LOT of new Robo stuff and I'd like to reboot the thread to accommodate it.

Oh please please say that it has something to do with a somewhat large event in New York next month from the 10th to the 13th

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

I don't even know what that is, so not a chance!

Dang. It's toyfair, so that means no Robo action figures this year. (Yet? Maybe?)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
This is an amazing Kickstarter, I am really looking forward to this, it's amazing, YOU'RE amazing. I'm gushing.

Any insights on the campaign from the other side? Is this what you guys were expecting or are you just totally floored by the outpouring of support for Robo (and Dr. Dino?)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Verry nice indeed, we're very pleased with our copy and all the goodies :)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Diamond is almost entirely why we're doing this. They've been the biggest hurdle for getting our book to people who want it, much less those who haven't discovered it yet. We spent seven years fighting the system and getting nowhere, so now we're out.

I sure hope so. We have a lot of ideas lined up for it. The structure of the second volume was a lot of fun to work with and was much more popular with readers. So, we wanna do more like that. Our next one will almost certainly be about the Flying She-Devils. Not an origin story because that's boring. They teamed up. The end. Probably their first big adventure though. Sort of like how Volume 5 is not Robo's origin, but it is his first big adventure.

What can we do to ensure that Atomic Robo continues for a long time? (I mean, aside from buying the books when they're collected, which is still awesome btw.)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Finished reading volume 9:

Robo, nooo!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

If you were a Patron you'd see some concept art about what happens next!

Well fortunately for me, I just happen to be! Gosh, EVERYONE should be a patron of Atomic Robo!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Two weeks ago. Or one week ago. Depends on your shop because *~Diamond~*

Amazon may still be listing it as out of print or unavailable or something because *~Diamond~*

But your local shop should be able to order it for you regardless. Or Midtown Comics. The collected edition doesn't seem to be at ComiXology and I'm not sure why.

In the meantime, just read what we put online and make sure you're not blocking our ads. In aggregate it generates money out of the ether.

This is entirely true. I thought about getting it from Midtown, but on second thought I called my local shop and they had Three copies left in stock! By the time I got there to pick up my copy, the others were sold, like hotcakes or something like that.

I feel like I've mentioned this before, but it is a crying shame that there are no Atomic Robo Action Figures. This should be rectified, perhaps through a crowd funded source?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Len posted:

I can only hope they're right proper fun action figures and not throwbacks to the 80's where they have like...four points of articulation.

Yes Please. I anxiously await further details to throw my money at you, Hyperactive.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Can't say either way at this stage!

If I might make a suggestion... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/813878470/boss-fight-studios-vitruvian-hacks-action-figures These were pretty awesome.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Lurdiak posted:

I won't buy any Robo action figures unless there's so many points of articulation that it looks like it was shattered int 100 pieces and poorly glued back together.

Counterpoint:

This one just works better than the older ones you posted, the articulation isn't as obtrusive, but it poses really well.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Ok, you see this?

I want this toy with the passion of a thousand lonely PUAs.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Fun Fact:

That was the original design for the Mecha Robo we see in that issue, but when Scott got to the pages with it he forgot that he hadn't really designed anything for the back and also it was hard to make all those shapes line up anyway.

We get the version in the comic as a kind of last minute desperate "These pages are due in ten minutes whatever gets drawn is what's happening" kind of compromise.

We are revisiting Big Science Inc. a bit in Volume 10 and we'll get to see the newest Mecha Robo(s).

I cannot wait for that. The version that actually showed up in the comic really worked for me as a 'this is a prototype and we really don't know how to make a standing humanoid/walking humanoid version so let's just make it up as we go along.'

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Covok posted:

I'm interested in buying the TESLADYNE FIELD GUIDE 2013, but have been back and forth on the idea. For those who have it, if you don't mind me asking, how cool is it? Is it a "must-have" for an Atomic Robo fan, so to speak?

If you don't have it, you're not a real fan, IMO.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hey! That's pattently false!

in GI Joe Renegades(2010-2011), Cobra Commander was voiced by Charlie Adler.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So, eh... when are we gonna see the Atomic Robo Action Figure kickstarter?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Every time I see that panel my desire for Robo Action Figures wells up anew.

God I want some good Atomic Robo action figures.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Covok posted:

I'd buy that. It's pretty, dang well-made.

Oh, if only it had joints.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Covok posted:

I'm ok with a statute-like deal. It's not like I'll be playing with it.

I totally will be. Also, I would like to make stop motion films with it. :colbert:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bucnasti posted:

Awww yeah son, giant robots dropping from the sky!

DEATH FROM ABOVE BABY!

Let's hope the legs can take the strain.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'd like to point out how really cool Robo's new hands are, they look like they'd give him a lot more human-like range of motion, although I'm not sure how good they'd be at being usable fists. Good thing we're about to find out!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So dumb question... was atomic robo's name inspired by atomic robo kid? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_Robo-Kid

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Funny thing; it would have been faster for us to go pick up the books in person than to get them delivered! Oh well, next time we'll save you guys the shipping costs :)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Yippee! Our box from Tesladyne arrived today, and whilst the box was beat all to poo poo, it did its job and protected the books! Thanks guys, great work, they look (and smell,) fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

New comiXology collections will go online to coincide with new hardcover editions. Ring of Fire is kinda goofy since there current Kickstarter is sorta delaying that, but we're in the final stages of that. And since future campaigns will be much simpler, there shouldn't be a gap this bad between IDW's TPB release and our hardcover/digital releases.

Glad your items survived the trip. If it's possible to take pictures of the box, please do.

Yeah, we still have it waiting for breakdown in the recycling, I'll pm it to you?

• Locked thread