Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm interested in buying the TESLADYNE FIELD GUIDE 2013, but have been back and forth on the idea. For those who have it, if you don't mind me asking, how cool is it? Is it a "must-have" for an Atomic Robo fan, so to speak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Odd thought, but I remember once that Atomic Robo told Dr. Dinosaur to downplay the raptor angle because he is based on a fictitious depiction of velociraptor. While that may be true, ignoring the lack of feathers, he does look like the Utahraptor, if you go by the holotype specimen. He also bears a lot of similarities with deinonychus. Of course, Dinosaurs don't have larynx and he is a totally genetic experiment, but just felt like mentioning since I like dinosaurs. Don't know if anyone ever brought that up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just curious, but, once the issue is over, will the half pages be merged together or kept as they are? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

In the absence of a Robo toy to purchase, some have turned to making their own.

I think that's a cosplay, actually.

Isn't that this guy?:

Nephzinho posted:

I really need to remember where I put that gun.

I'd buy that. It's pretty, dang well-made.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Oh, if only it had joints.

I'm ok with a statute-like deal. It's not like I'll be playing with it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Recently, I've been reading over the Atomic Robo RPG again and I noticed the pictures of the psychic soviets as well as a few other images that I couldn't recognize. Were there some issues that I missed? I'd be glad to go find them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This is mostly posed at the thread and will be an odd question, but I'm thinking of starting a play-by-post game using Atomic Robo's RPG called "From Robo With Love." I'm thinking of having it be a short campaign involving some "soviet" espionage action. My main problem: I can't think of a good reason for how the Soviets would capture Robo. See, I didn't want to deal with the "Who gets to be Robo" thing so I wanted saving Robo to be the objective. Problem is, I just can't think of a good way for Robo to get caught and for Telsadyne to assume the USSR is behind it.

Then again, I could be focusing too much on having Robo be caught near the USSR. Thinking about it now, getting ambushed by agents in his apartment could suffice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I was out all Labor Day weekend with my mates so I just saw all these awesome suggestions. You all made some good points and they really helped. I was, honestly, overthinking things.

Be on the lookout as the recruit thread should be up by weeks end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I would love to just see Robo's face if that happened. It would be the epitome of "I can't loving believe this right now."

Covok
May 27, 2013

If they don't have Robo's heart yet, what is Robo running on?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Makes sense to me. Makes me wonder how it feels, as a sapient creature, to go through so many different bodies in a short time. I imagine that Robo's body was finished before Tesla gave him life.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Strangely, my mind is going back to the first issue and that weird energy source from it. I'm blanking on other places where alternative, massive energy sources were mentioned for except, maybe, the odic dimension.

Also, am I the only one hoping that Robo's head gets attached to one of those Evange--Giant Mecha for a big Giant Robo vs Biomega battle?

Also, should we expect Robo's look to change now that he's getting a new body? His new head looks sleeker.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like that Robo has to specify that Phil shouldn't violate the known laws of physics.

Hey, if those laws worked, we couldn't have violated them: make better laws next time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of Robo to have weapons? He's supposed to be Tesla's great gift to the world, the virtuous Great Scientist that will protect humanity forever. I mean, he shoots a lot of monsters but that's not the point of creating him.

Depends on who he uses them on:

Tesla: "Should an intense young man or wild-eyed gentlemen ever approach you and mention the word "Tunguska", I want you to shoot them. Promise me."
Robo: "But, Mr. Tesla, you're a pacifist."
Tesla: "Yes, Robo. But you are not."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

Robo has hands and is wearing pants! PROGRESS!

This made me wonder the oddest thing: Does Robo wear clothes and feel embarrassed naked because Tesla programmed him to feel that way or because he learned that behavior from his environment, if you ever gave this thought?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I want to say Hyperactive's mentioned in the past that Robo wears clothing as a way of establishing that he is in fact a person.

While that does make sense, I remember he seemed embarrassed in scrubs because his rear end was hanging out so, even if that was the original reason, it certainly has bled into his way of thinking about himself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm not saying this is bad, I'm liking the comic, but does anyone feel like the most recent issues are tonally different from the rest? Everything feels more desperate and ragtag and the world feels like it's in the shitter. Must be the loss of tesladyne and the biomega threat.

I'm loving the TITANS' look, btw. Just wondering how to use them in the rpg.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Like I said, I like it. I was more pointing it out and starting discussion for the record.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, I've always viewed the series as Indian Jones, not a comedy. Make no mistake. Just noting the different feel. Like I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Also, awesome to hear that there is a source book coming out for the RPG.

So, how cyberpunk is the weird future going to be? Should we expect 90s pop fiction levels or something more reserved and grounded? Or not at all? Or should I just wait and see?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

It's hard to say. We've got a story in the pipeline for the '80s or '90s that is, like, a singularity of cyberpunk cliches. I would expect future storylines taking place in our present would be somewhat grounded. Keep in mind that Ghost of Station X and Ring of Fire would also qualify as grounded cyberpunk.

They do? Man, my perspective on cyberpunk is too skewed by things like Shadowrun that I forget cyberpunk isn't just street samurai and hacker-magic.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Let us not forget the Oxygen Destroyer: the only sure-fire way to kill a Godzilla.

Covok
May 27, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Oh hey, somebody's genius creator once created a weapon quite similar to a large asteroid impact.

Wait, really? I don't remember Tesla doing that in the comic. Especially considering his pacifism.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

Kinda want to do a Robo story where Robo accidentally stops the ritual that summons Hellboy, and a Hellboy story where Tesla's lab is destroyed before he can ever build Robo.

I get the strange vibe Mike Mignola is the kind of guy who would be down for that kind of thing, but also get the stranger vibe this will never happen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Godwin's law has never been this awesome.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

Agreed. We've got a couple more stories revolving around them planned. One of them is the "origin" of Longinus insofar as it's when Robo first learns it's up there.

I seriously consider the giant monsters to be the B-plot to this volume.

The giant monsters are mostly mcguffins, something to drive the conflict forward. Still, they are a cool fuckin' mcguffin.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

P.S. we decided to give you guys twice as many free comics from now on. Enjoy. :toot:

That's awesome. So, are these just about Atomic Robo's Tesla's life or is there more to it?

As a side note, glad Robo isn't reliant on tapping into energy grids anymore. Though, it looks like China knows what he did and are already acting on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

It'll be various adventures featuring secondary but still interesting characters we've seen or heard about in previous volumes of the main series. We're starting with a big time Tesla adventure. When this one wraps up, we'll move to a She-Devils tale. After that it's up to the KS backers.

It occurs to me that nothing has changed yet. That thing might be the most amazing little nuclear reactor on the planet, but they don't have any fissile material to put into it. Not sure if we'll devote a short story to that or just drop a hint or two about how it got solved with some dialog down the road.

I know I ain't a KS backer (didn't have the money at the time) or a writer, but it probably makes sense to do the later since it keeps in line with one of the comic's rules: No Filler. Unless, of course, you feel there is enough of a story there on its own. Just my 2 cents.

Covok
May 27, 2013

While I know we are almost assuredly going back in time in the next story-arc, I wonder if Robo's resolution is going to last for a while or as long as a New Year's resolution lasts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

OH LORD NO. Full pages but only three times a week.

Hooray! Writing the RPG reeeeaaaally made me want to work on an M12 series of Real Science Adventures. We'll get to it one day.

I was just about to say all the example characters seemed pretty fun and the example comics made me think of a series.

By the way, was Odin inspired by anyone visually? He reminds me of someone, but I don't know who.

Edit: Skimming through, I have no idea what neruo-elctric tesliana covers as a science. Is it understanding how to manipulate a brain through electrical impulses? Now, I'm not a neuro-scientist, but, in the world of action-scifi, doesn't that overlap? Unless the Tesla-bit implies that its princples deviate greatly from real neuro-science. Hard to tell without knowing NET, I suppose

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 26, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Niles Caulder?

Nah, never seen him before. He's got a good look to him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

Yeah, RoF reads at a breakneck pace in the print issues and it's all because of the full page. I am probably most to blame since I think of each page as an individual unit. Writing for half a page veers a little too closely to those daily strips where they spend the first half summarizing the previous day's strip and no thanks.

Basically the in-universe handwave for psionic and psychic effects if you want them in your adventure. Odic Field is another avenue toward those sorts of effects. Same with Hollow Earth crystals. I think we're making the case within the comic across the next few volumes that these are different methods to attain the same goal of creating radical changes in local spacetime via consciousness.

Ok, I get it now: it's the in-universe science behind psychics. That makes sense. Probably especially useful when fighting those physic soviets from the corebook.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't mean to come off like an interview, but would it be rude or redundant to ask what made you want to make Atomic Robo? I hope I'm not unfairly abridging your comic career, but I know you worked on a sprite comic called 8-Bit Theather. I personally never read it, I'm sure it was good, but I was aware of it as my friend was into the series. What made you jump from a final fantasy parody (from my knowledge of the series) to Atomic Robo? I'm sure both were awesome series, but curious what lead to Robo.

If you don't mind divulging and you didn't already get asked this a bunch from other sources/people.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 31, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

Not at all. I'm here to answer questions.

I kind of fell into 8-bit Theater. It started as the project for an independent study course in college. The idea was to create a comic to see what mattered more in production: practical concerns or literary theory. I put it online since the professor was terrible about keeping track of his email.

At some point it started to get a thousand readers a day. Then ten thousand. I think somewhere around 50k I dropped out of college and started working on the comic full time. My plan up until that point had been to attend college to delay entry into the real world long enough to somehow get a writing career started. I did not expect it to work out as it did, but I wasn't gonna say no.

Now, 8-bit Theater would go on to run for 10 years. I didn't know that when I started, but I did know that it would have to end at some point. So, I was always thinking about what would come next. I've always been interested in science, science fiction, robots, history, and alt history, so it seemed wise to mash all those together. Atomic Robo is also an attempt to "solve" what I saw as the multi-faceted problem of serial comics -- impenetrable continuities, fluctuating creative directions, a 19th century distribution model, paralyzing fear of fun, and rampant sexism.

I like to think the example we set over the last nine years is one part of what's helped corporate comics start to lurch toward higher quality content.

Well, first off, thanks for answering my question. The story of how 8-bit theater took off sounds almost surreal. "Only put it online because the professor was bad at keeping track of e-mail" is a hell of a way to be discovered.

Now, what do you mean by "practical concerns vs literary theory?" And, what was your conclusion: which did matter more?

Also, yeah, those problems are the same reason I got out of comics a few years back: the continuities were crazy, you'd like a series till a new creative lead would make it wholly different, it was taking itself too seriously, and every female superhero had to be in a revealing/skin tight outfit and break their spine in every panel. The fact Robo wasn't like that is one of the things that drew me to it, after the TRPG helped me learn about it. It looks like you had some high goals for Robo and I'm glad they're working out.

What exactly did you think was the issue with the distribution model, by the by? Too dependent on physical media and not embracing the digital age?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

I'd taken some courses on comics by that time. They were taught in the manner of English courses, only about comics instead of Shakespeare or what have you. I'd become very suspicious of the academics we were studying because they had all these theories about making comics, but none of them made comics.

Diamond is terrible and the Direct Market as a whole is about 30 years behind the rest of the economy. It's effectively a mail order catalog from the '80s in a world where Amazon.com exists. It's insane.

Give 'em another five years to figure out that hybridization like the Atomic Robo model will not cannibalize print sales and will, in fact, add several previously untapped revenue streams for approximately zero dollars invested compared to the costs of traditional publishing.

I've taken a course on movie theory before as a general education credit so I know what you mean. Never once did anyone talk about the logistic of doing a film, how to work with actors, how to write a script, how to direct, etc. Let alone any pratical application. Of course, it was a gen ed course so...yeah. I'm not surprised to hear that college doesn't deal enough in realities, though. It's my general experience with academia.

I'm probably just revealing more and more that I don't know poo poo so you can ignore this question or just throw a wiki-link, but what do you mean by "diamond is terrible"?

Covok
May 27, 2013

This is going to be an odd question, but the latest page made me wonder this: how does Robo feel about killing other robots? I mean, they are alive in a similar sense to himself, even if some units are not aware of it. Being a similar form of life, he must feel some kinship to them. And, like the dialogue today suggests, he feels bad having to fight that robot because he knows it doesn't know what it's doing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Len posted:

Hey Hyperactive when can I get Atomic Robo pops? I want a little Robo and Dr. Dinosaur and Jenkins sitting on my shelf.

When you say "pops", do you mean candy, ice, or something else?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Seems like robo and me have the opposite feelings: to me, small spiders are actually kind of cute, but close-up pictures and bigger spiders are frightening as all hell.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Is it just me or is Robo's new shape very feminine?

I can't unseen it now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm start to worryingly wonder if Robo's fear of bugs is a pun on software bugs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't know enough about Sir Richard Branson to know how he will get back at Robo, but I'm certain that, somehow, it will involve sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

Why does Robo need to wear goggles?

Because it looks cool.

• Locked thread