Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Free Comic Book Day story was pretty solid, I enjoyed it. :) I will never turn down an opportunity to read more Dr. Dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn't some of the prior FCBD stories get reprinted in some of the trade paperbacks? Of course this doesn't help people who buy single issues and not trades.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I pre-ordered vol 6 on Amazon.com literally a day before Hyperactive made a post saying vol6 was out, but the website is saying it doesn't ship until... July 6th or something? Surely that's incorrect, right?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll keep an eye on Amazon for now, maybe send a message their way later on. This wouldn't be the first time they said the release date for something was way off in the future only to send me an email saying, "Good news! This item that was supposed to ship in 4 months actually ships TOMORROW!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also I almost forgot to ask, are the "Real Science Adventures" issues I see listed on the Robo website going to be collected/sold in a TPB at some point?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive, have you read High Roads? I ask because tonally it's very in-line with Atomic Robo. I blew through it in one sitting last night, and while it had some mis-steps I thought it was a lot of fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It isn't perfect (and it plays the "cheesecake" card once in a while, but no moreso than any Indiana Jones movie does) but it's totally unapologetic about being really goofy fun. The main "hero" is pretty hilarious just in how straight-laced he is. I wouldn't quite say he's "naive", more that he's... "principled", I guess. :v:

Similarly, the Rocketeer comics (both the original Stevens ones that IDW has reprinted, and the more recent "Rocketeer Adventures" anthology stories IDW has been running) are awesome and a total blast.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Glad to hear that--I'd been looking at those for a while, having fond memories of the movie. I'll have to pick those up soon too.
With some minor exceptions, the movie is amazingly true to the comics. I know Joe Johnston had to fight tooth-and-nail to get the studio to agree to it, but the Rocketeer character design in the movie is essentially 100% accurate to the source material. The rocket-pack in the comic is a little bit different, but not distractingly so. I'd love it if they made another Rocketeer movie - the original was a blast, and the comics (both original and current) are a rip-roaring good time.
I've got this guy standing on my shelf right now and he's absolutely perfect:

Which reminds me, when are we going to see awesome Atomic Robo merchandise and stuff? :rodimus:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 16, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Len posted:

Hopefully not until I get disposable income again.
Well then you'd better hurry the gently caress up. <:mad:>

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

I've got that badass Dr Dino on my bookshelf but I'd kill for a Robo action figure.

You can't make a post like this and then not post pictures of Dr Dino on your bookshelf.

Len posted:

Hopefully not until I get disposable income again.
Well then you'd better hurry the gently caress up. <:mad:>

Also do I smell a team-up?????

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Instapurchased.

Like I didn't even hesitate.

However I wouldn't mind even more sweet Robo merchandise. :rodimus:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spikey posted:

My Amazon pre-order just shipped. July was probably just a placeholder date.
Yeah I just got an Email saying my preorder would ship "sooner than expected", but I haven't gotten shipping confirmation just yet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

Sadly Marvel hates fun these days.
Which is a drat shame because the Avengers movie was fun as hell.

I really miss the Dan Slott She-Hulk books, too. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got my Atomic Robo figurine statue-thing in the mail today. He is perfect in every way that a 4.75" unposeable reproduction of Atomic Robo can be.

Also Amazon shipped my copy of vol 6! :woop:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive posted:

Everything's coming up Xeno.
What do you mean?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I blew through volume 6 last night in one sitting. I dunno about it, though. I definitely like volumes 3-5 more than 6, but I'm going to give it another one-over tonight.

Spoiler-tagging the rest of this just cuz:

It just wasn't particularly memorable. It almost felt like it would have been served better if the conspiracy plot had been built up longer - it felt like there was a lot of buildup for the individual "traps" (the space mission, the Majestic12 ambush) and then all of a sudden Robo says "holy poo poo conspiracy!" and the next thing you know they've sorted the conspiracy out and discovered ALAN.

Don't get me wrong, ALAN was cool - I liked that he had his own reasons for the pursuit of science and knowledge, and from his perspective he wasn't doing anything wrong; it was refreshing instead of having someone trying to wreck the world just because they were evil and doing evil for its own sake or something. But it didn't feel like there was enough of a payoff - Robo meets ALAN, ALAN explains himself, Robo shuts ALAN down and the story ends. I guess it just felt like it could have been built up and drawn out more, which would have made Robo's victory feel less like he'd just punched out another monster-of-the-week and it was back to business as usual.
I get that (based on the introductions at the front of the TPB) that ALAN was an afterthought and you were sort of shoehorning him into Robo's backstory after the fact, but I think it would have been a whole lot more satisfying if there'd been callbacks to prior Robo adventures, showing that ALAN had his hands in those somehow.

Also the huge freeway helicopter big-rig chase did nothing for me. It felt like it went on entirely too long, and (no offense to Scott's art) it was hard to follow. It just seemed like stuff exploded, Robo and the other Action Scientists went back and forth about countermeasures and tracking, more stuff exploded, they hid in a truck-stop, and it was just one long string of explosions. I just found it hard to care. I can't even remember how it ended and how they escaped, and I just read it last night.

I'll give it another read-through tonight - maybe I'll enjoy it more the second time through (like I did with volume 1). I just wish I'd enjoyed it more on my first read-through (like I did with vol 3-5).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive posted:

First, are you nuts?
Well it's more that I kinda wish more had happened, or that there had been more of an indication within the story itself that this was Just The Beginning.

Hyperactive posted:

When you're called by NASA to rescue astronauts on an unrealistically hectic timetable, get up there only to be killed in two different ways, and then barely rescued and rebuilt by your friends, and then NASA calls to confirm they never made the first call, where does your mind go?

"Angering powerful people in charge of shadowy organizations is pretty much my hobby."

And yet it still takes them 4 issues to put it together. In a 5 issue series, I can't draw it out much more than that!
But the thing is much of those 4 issues was the action itself. Sure Robo figures out there's a conspiracy at work, but my problem was that he solved the conspiracy almost immediately.

Hyperactive posted:

Why? ALAN is at the end of a 50+ year master plan that hinged upon, above all else, secrecy. What does drawing it out at the eleventh hour do to benefit him? Explaining himself was a last ditch effort to neutralize Robo as a threat. The fact that ALAN expects this could work is just another notch on how he doesn't "get" people. And after hearing ALAN's pitch, why on Earth would Robo do anything other than immediately do everything possible to stop ALAN?
Because I think it would allow for a lot more interesting storytelling potential if Robo didn't (apparently) stop him the first time Robo meets him. I think it would go a lot further to show the depth of the 50-year conspiracy if Robo managed to escape with his life and the knowledge that there's a serious problem out there, but that it's not something he can stop in the span of 1 issue. Sure he's obviously going to try and throw everything he's got at the problem, but what if it's a problem he can't solve by just shooting it 6 times? What if it's something he can't necessarily rely on his own resources to solve, because it's a 50-year-old conspiracy with its tentacles everywhere?

I mean sure the story ends with that final panel hinting that we haven't seen the last of ALAN, but I guess I was hoping it would be more overt - Robo doesn't seem to be acknowledging that he just stopped a 50-year-old conspiracy that influences everything in the span of 6 pages and 5 gunshots. Like, he's been around for 80 years and he's seen some poo poo, I imagine he'd be wondering if he really stopped it but instead it seems to end with Robo being satisfied that the problem is solved.

Hyperactive posted:

Though you can't be blamed for not knowing it: Vol 8 - 10 deal with the fallout of Vol 6. It almost seems like your frustrations are based on the assumption that this is over when it's barely begun. In a sense, Vol 6 itself is the very build up you're looking for.
That's good to know, and it lessens some of my problems with it - I was looking at vol 6 more as a standalone story arc - as it stands, it's just really abrupt and self-contained which I feels neuters the potential impact of a super-powerful global conspiracy. The knowledge that the story is building towards something bigger is cool, but the story itself doesn't really indicate that.

Hyperactive posted:

I always erred on the side of not hinting at ALAN in previous volumes because no one knows he's there. The scope of what ALAN reveals to have influenced over the years now lets you look back on previous volumes and wonder where else his hand may have been felt. And now that the cat is out of the bag, we can pinpoint a few specifics in new stories.
Well that's what I mean - if volume 6 itself had referenced some other prior adventures after ALAN was revealed I think it would have made the conspiracy angle more compelling, because as volume 6 stands all of ALAN's machinations are confined to volume 6 itself. I mean learning that there's a conspiracy that's been messing with Robo for 50 years is a neat revelation, but it's an even scarier one if we know even just one or two specifics that date back to earlier adventures. Then it becomes a "holy poo poo" moment that makes you want to re-read those prior adventures and re-examine them. As volume 6 stands, ALAN could be blowing smoke for all we know and just saying stuff to rattle Robo's cage.

Like I said maybe I'll like it more on a re-read; it's cool that there's other stuff planned out that will play off of what vol 6 set up, I just didn't have as much fun with volume 6 as I did with the last couple volumes (which were awesome, especially vol 5). Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hated (or even disliked) vol 6, I just had some reservations.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 31, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

quote:

It demonstrably would not. It would have been the end of all life on Earth. I mean, ALAN could have had a different plot in the works, one that wouldn't kill all of life on Earth, but then that fails to set him up as a foil automatic intelligence to Robo.
Well I meant it more as Robo stops that plot and saves the planet, but ALAN himself is unarguably still Out There and Robo knows it. I think that sort of angle would have been more compelling.

I mean sure ALAN is the latest in a long list, but if ALAN is meant to be a big-deal game-changer then just having Robo (seemingly) stop him in one issue kinda undermines it. It's the difference between James Bond stopping Blofeld's latest scheme and him thinking Blofeld is dead, and Bond stopping his scheme but knowing that Blofeld escaped and is still a threat.
I mean I guess it's the trade-off between setting ALAN up as a recurring problem for Robo and Tesladyne and having Robo know it (and THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING. *dramatic cue*), or having ALAN come back later for a ~BIG REVEAL~ in a couple volumes that shocks Robo (and the reader). I prefer the former because I feel it would have made ALAN a more compelling and interesting threat, but I understand that you did the latter and we'll get the payoff in a couple volumes.

I'll re-read vol 6 tonight and post some second-reading thoughts after I go through it. Based on how things went with volume 1 I expect I'll like it more the second time around. My spoiler-tagged post was all first-reading reactions, but to date I've never read a Robo volume only once. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Went back through volume 6 again last night, as expected I liked it more the second time through. I think the pacing sort of "clicked" the second time around, especially for the first two issues. I still didn't like the helicopter highway chase very much (I thought it was a little long), but some things were a lot funnier the second time around (<I am foreign robot man>).

I still think ALAN would have been more interesting if he'd been handled differently from the other recurring villains we've had so far like Helsingard and Dr. Dinosaur. So far all three of them have sort of been one-note villains - they show up with some scheme, Robo punches/shoots them, and solves the problem. I suppose by volume 6 I'm hoping to see villains that change that up a bit, villains that don't have easy one-note tried-and-true solutions, especially since ALAN is set up as a foil for Robo.

I mean yes I get that ALAN will be back, but will he be back with more one-note schemes (in the same way Helsingard and Dr. Dinosaur have)? It's great that there'll be some sort of payoff in volume 8, my criticisms of ALAN are more about volume 6 as a standalone volume.

Also, a couple random things:

1. Sparrow #1's note about the invisible house... what was up with that? Did Sparrow #1 know about Turing and ALAN in some capacity? If this is a plot thread that gets addressed in a later volume then that's cool. :)

2. Powell was wearing a T-shirt with a grenade logo on it. Subtle somethingawful nod? Or was it just because Powell works in Exotic Ballistics and likes things that go boom?

3. The coolest panel in the whole story was the little one of Robo's eyes glowing in the shipping crate - the subtle glow and the way you could still pick out details of Robo's face was really cool. Props to Scott and Robo's colorist (whose name escapes me).

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 1, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That reminds me, is Scott on these forums too? If not, why not - I bet he'd have some fun things to contribute about the drawing process, and I'm sure people would have questions for him.

Also he could become ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. :geno:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Re-read volume 5 last night, definitely still my favorite volume to date.

I like to imagine Jack Tarot as being played by Nathan Fillion, but that's just me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive posted:

we were both annoyed by a popular assumption that Helen and Robo's relationship had to go sour in real big bad ways.
Given the overall tone of volume 5 I didn't get that impression at all. Why would people think that? :confused:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive posted:

I thought he was talking about the comic. And if he is, someone is lying or confused!
Oh you didn't hear? You and Scott aren't working on Atomic Robo anymore - Tomas Edison's descendants have seen to that. :ohdear:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You guys had a good run. :sympathy:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got a copy of The Manhattan Projects in the mail and I've been blowing through it, figured it was worth mentioning because I'm digging it and it's reminding me of Atomic Robo in a lot of ways. It's much more of a "secret history" motif than Robo's "super-sized ants are real and everyone knows it, let's go punch them", and tonally it's a lot darker than Robo (and some of the characters are downright hosed up), but it's still got its fair share of silly/over-the-top moments and by and large the main focus of the series is "crazy action-science", complete with a bunch of real-world scientists as main characters (Oppenheimer, Feynman, Einstein, Fermi, Von Braun).

I'm not exactly keen on the art, but it's far from a dealbreaker.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Amazon says Real Science Adventures vol 1 is "out of print", despite only coming out like mid November. Is that accurate? Is it going to get reprinted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive posted:

It is not anywhere near accurate. Amazon is just confused. The trade comes out next week and we have tons more than have been ordered so far.
Unfortunately Amazon doesn't even let you preorder vol 7 (let alone the Real Science Adventures that are "out of print"), the best you can do is have them notify you via email when it's available. It's a little lame. :saddowns:

• Locked thread