Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, they ship out the FCBD stuff to shops a bit early, and I couldn't help but flip through the Robo issue while tidying up our back room the other day. Pure gold, as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

If only Robo slept and could therefore dream!
He's really never tried to sleep when he was really wanting to be human? I never really felt like he got overly sad, but there have been multiple times he's certainly seemed to want to experience human things (like citizenship or a relationship)

Hyperactive posted:

Glad to hear it. We knew people would expect a lot from a Robo and Dr. Dinosaur team up story. Our hope was to get half way to those expectations and hope for the best.
The only Robo stuff I've been less than enthusiastic about was the second volume, which was still enjoyable. The FCBD issues are routinely the best of the books released that day, putting the others to shame.

Hyperactive posted:

Vol 3 is currently sold out and we're not entirely sure when it will be back in print. Hopefully late 2012. But like it says in the OP, you can read the collected editions in any order so you're not going to lose anything if you have to skip this one for now.
You can read them in any order, but I'll be damned if that third volume isn't the best. Our LCS has at least one copy, maybe two, Musashi, if you're interested in covering cost+shipping, shoot me a PM. There's digital too, of course, which is a steal.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

I don't have PM's but if Musashi doesn't want it or they have two copies I'd be willing to pay for it plus shipping.

I'll let you know after I pick up my books on Wednesday

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Intriguing. I'm not much for digital, though...I much prefer having physical copies of things, space be damned. I do appreciate your generous offer, but I'll give Len first crack at it. If your store does happen to have 2 copies, though, then I'd take the second.

No PMs here either, but my email is r_howard33 at hotmail dot com if you need to contact me. Thanks again.

Apparently we did sell the one or two we had, sorry guys :smith:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

The use of Hawking is one of my favorite little things you've sprinkled into the story.

I love it just because he's such a dick and Sagan's just such a generally great guy to counter that. I feel like Feynman, when he finally does show up, needs to be a nice middle ground that hits on anything that moves, maybe even suggesting he take Robo to a strip club, considering he did at least some of his thinking/working there.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

It has to be. I saw vol. 6 at my local comic shop last week.

Amazon and booksellers have different dates than comic shops do, though July is pretty drat far away.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Riso posted:

Why didn't you tell us there's going to be a Atomic Robo RPG!? Shame on you!

This is one of my favourite comics, because it does not take itself very seriously, and is great fun to read.

I just love this guy:

I'm pretty sure he did, in this very thread. Though, in your defense, I don't think he said much about it in the last thread...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Sadly Marvel hates fun these days.

I'm sure Marvel would love fun if they could double ship it.

Also, comics need to matter Rhyno, goddamn, how do you not know this.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

Feynman has been requested a few times. We'll have him show up one of these days.

I'm pretty sure I keep pushing for Feynman any tiem I think to. Neil deGrasse Tyson wouldn't be a bad addition for a more modern Robo story, either.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

don't you worry about Neil. He figures prominently in two upcoming storylines. Just have to space 'em out.

I figured we'd see him eventually, probably through some connection Robo had at Cornell with Sagan.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, Atomic Robo was featured at the start of Fair Trade Comics, Comics Bulletin's rebuttal to Before Watchmen.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/main/reviews/fair-trade-comics-atomic-robo

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

Yaaay!

I keep meaning to add a roster or character section to the website, but it's a low priority/high effort endeavor that paying work inevitably delays.

On the bright side I'll have to compile that information for the RPG, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it mirrored on the site in some capacity.

FYI, your game could singlehandedly get me back into playing a tabletop RPG.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

I can't wait to try this at Gencon. It's the only event I actually bothered to register for.

It figures that this is the year I'm not going. The second in the last 10 or so :smith:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

We hope so! The FATE system is a fast and loose one that's easy to pick up and roll with. Its mechanics lend themselves very well to the kind of free wheeling (and half bullshit) action science that makes the comic work.

I think what we're going for is not only Atomic Robo: The RPG, but the RPG version of Atomic Robo: The Comic, i.e. something anyone can pick up and run with maximun fun from minimal effort.

Wait, wait, so I don't get to have a THAC0? Hrmmm

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

unl33t posted:

Just thought I'd bump the thread here to let everyone know that Atomic Robo is currently the featured sale comic on Comixology. 99¢ for individual issues, most "trades" at $3.99.

I thought this was the usual price?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

Everyone from brick and mortar retailers to other publishers to readers was telling us it was stupid to sell for a dollar.

We increased the price per issue to $1.99 starting with Vol 6 as an experiment.

No one complained. Also sales skyrocketed.

I don't pretend to understand that.

Ah, okay. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining that it was that cheap originally!

Glad you're making more money! You guys deserve it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

In a fever dream, you found someone with a Jim Lee style to replace Wegener, but they know Robo better than you and/or are aware that you were hallucinatory/bat-poo poo insane and will not be taking the position.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

WickedIcon posted:

Well, he said he's done work for Red 5 in the past and that they tapped him to do pencils for (something related to?) Atomic Robo. Actually I mostly posted about it here because Google isn't turning up a damned thing for this guy and it's kind of an obscure thing to lie about, so if he's not telling the truth then the alternative is either that he's a crazy person or a time traveler.

Does your friend talk about how important CRYSTALS are for his art? This is important

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

Zero! Sort of. They've always been super supportive of the property. We use Midtown as our semi-official source for online orders.

So they're who we should go to after that HeavyInk guy lost his poo poo?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

Almost rape was the DM's answer.

Ugh, gently caress that guy. I wish I could've gone to GenCon this year, as this would probably be the only time I'd sit down and play an RPG with strangers (I just don't get the appeal of that). Is the game for sale too, or are they just demoing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

That is all super disappointing.

Seriously, the worst of gamer culture is on par with the worst of comics culture. :smith:

• Locked thread