Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I'm sort of bludging my way through the early steps of conceptualizing an isometric roguelike. I've got a bunch of stuff written down somewhere, but today I thought I'd try my hand at doing up a quick sprite for a simple human fighter. He has a longsword and a heavy kite shield, so all of the hard bits to draw are currently concealed. I dread doing the other seven angles :3:

I'd love for my sprites to end up looking like this:

But that's about a million miles away from where I'm at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah after doing this one, I'll go back and redo the first since this looks much more dynamic. Though my first one I hadn't done anything beyond the outline, it's still weak compared to this. I need to work on the shield side shoulder and arm, make them more obvious and poo poo. Move the whole shoulder and arm down and toward the camera, maybe? I might try and shade this one once I've done that, to see how it comes across once all the lighting is in place.

drat, I just noticed some out of place pixels in the forward foot and shield.

edit: Fixed things.
edit2: Coloured/shaded. Still a little flat :(
edit3: dark purple outlines y/n

edit the fourth: I re-posed and re-drew old baldilocks, I'm pretty happy with the new pose and added details. This pose is also a little simpler to draw than the first, so I'll try and animate an attack.

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 14, 2012

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That's not pixel art, that's just pixelated :smug:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I dunno, I think they're really cool :shobon:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

New WIP. Does the desert camo come through properly? I've been staring at this for long enough that I think it's good, but another pair of eyes would help a lot. I'll be redoing the silly purple rifle once I settle on a real design to follow.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Another guy! Real guns! New Camo!

edit: and a test firing animation done with the old sniper sprite:

edit: replaced sniper's dumbass shemagh (god those things are hard with such low resolution) with a reverse baseball cap.

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 21, 2013

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

v1.

v2.

I'm really happy with this. Having a killer time, pickles are fun!

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 22, 2013

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I really like your piece, Scut! There seems to be a pixel missing from the lower left side of the computer on the vertical part of the base, but other than that I can't see any problems :)

I would have posted zoomed gifs but I can't seem to find an option in GraphicsGale to scale them up at all? And animating in Photoshop is such a pain in the balls. Here's a couple stills, firing and not:

It's still a little stilted and motionless for me, I wanted to move the legs to a new position for firing when he shrugs his shoulders but I haven't managed to get a pose that I like the look of with that. If I put him in a proper firing stance, his feet should be parallel and his whole body facing the target, but that ends up looking odd in a standalone animation like this. This seems to be the closest I can get.

edit: new wip:

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2013

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah Reiley, I was just away for a few days in paradise. I've tried a few options before for the legs, and they all sucked, but now that I'm back maybe I'll have some fresh ideas and perspective on the issue. He's still incomplete to me too, so don't worry :3:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

It's very cute, I love it :3:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah Aseprite has been good to me, too.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah I can definitely vouch for that. My drawing skills are middling at best. Give me a limited number of pixels to work with and I can trial-and-error my way to a passable sprite, but what I could do in 12 hours a better artist could put together in 2, and it would look better to boot.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I'd buy one if i had some spare bux.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Draw a cutaway into the walls? Like how The Sims has a cutaway mode.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Or a little hammer than then spins away :3:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Or maybe a couple small branches off the main vine?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I'm super sick but I managed to get this out.

I shall futz with it.

Shoehead posted:

I guess I can animate now?

Hey Shoehead, quoting one of your earlier sprites that I thought had a better pace/weight to the animation than your latest. Sometimes it's fun to look at your earlier work and pick out something you did well :madmax:

That's nice work for sick-work though, I'm a phlegmy moaning cripple when I get sick.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I just want to congratulate Chip on his step in the right direction. Everyone is crap to begin with, so you'll be fine.

Keep drawing!

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Oh nice, I remember Worm. I don't think I ever finished it, should I?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Please do, it makes the thread active and promotes more material being posted :shobon:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Relax knowing that it IS a sunk cost fallacy. Practice done is never wasted, even if it was in a limited style or has limited application.

If you're afraid of branching out into other things, try doing a dude in a different scale. Make him bigger, and force yourself to add the details and complexity required to make it look good.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Those are range dividers, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Reminds me of Seiko Miyazawa from Tough.