Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
So I'm trying to be more creative in 2013, so here is an attempt at pixel art. I'm sure it contains several newbie mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

My wife is making these to represent myself and my nerdy friends, each with its own nerdy aspect. She was hand drawing them, but saw my (sad) attempts at pixel art and tried it for herself. Didn't come out half bad I say

For comparison, this is my best effort so far

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I'll pass it along (especially the jpeg thing, since that's so easy). Thanks!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I don't think I'm going to make the jam deadline, but here's some stuff I made for the GB jam. Heroes and a monster for a Final Fantasy-esque battle system.

A "hit" animation

Some kind of flame column spell

Oh no, the warrior has died!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Jackard posted:

I like this kind of small 16x16ish stuff a lot. :kiddo:

They're a bit stiff though. A lot of the nes final fantasy monsters had dramatic poses or looked like they were frozen in motion. (like the Imp)

Thanks. I've been trying to be more dynamic, it just gets cramped and also I am pretty bad/new at this stuff. I was trying to make a sneaky rogue today, but I can't get it to express right. Any tips on getting that WoW rogue crouch sneak?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Jackard posted:

Not too familiar with that animation. How about having him lean forward with his head lowered, something like this

That helped! Whats the source on that?

stab stab stab

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Jackard posted:

Also this shading looks quite flat (partly due to your palette) nothing appears to be in the foreground or background

I think this is better but the body feels flat to me. Also the arm could better but I don't know how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Variations on a theme!

I like the second column the best I think.