Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

.TakaM posted:

No no please, I don't mind at all.

Does that look any better?

I love the takeoff and the free-fall loop, but you need more frames in the landing whether it's a quick jump or a landing from free-fall.
I think a cue that might help is making the tail go in the opposite direction when landing: back to neutral and then bouncing lower before being raised again. Dogs' tails are an extension of their spine, following the line of their back. Their normal range of motion is between "tail tucked between legs, conforming to shape of body" and "raised straight up, curled slightly forward." They don't easily bend any further forward than vertical.

Even if you kept the frame count small on the landing, making the tail drop instead of snapping forward should make the landing appear smoother. The extreme-forward-tail frame would probably fit in better just before the free-fall loop, where it's tilting forward at the apex of the jump, before returning to the slightly-forward-curled free-fall position.

The tail should do a lot of the work in making the landing look dynamic. The dog's body probably wouldn't need to go below horizontal on the landing, although you'd still need one or two more frames to make the back level out slower before the rear feet touch ground.
The other thing that's making the animation "snap" is the dog's feet jumping forward when they strike the ground looking like a quick kick. I think they either need a few transition frames (as it's jumping forward and back several pixels in the space of three frames) or the back legs need to stay about as simple as the front legs in the landing, transitioning from the free-fall loop as soon as the front paws touch the ground.

I hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

neurotech posted:

I'm working on a pug sprite for Starbound:

Can anyone offer any comments? I've been staring at this little guy for hours and need some input from some 'fresh eyes'.

I think for the laying-down pose his back legs should be moved forward, we should probably be able to see his haunches too. Front legs should probably move forward a bit as well. The standing pose looks great.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I've been pixelling a few blocky spaceships lately.

Vic Viper / Podracer / Seaplane Hybrid

Solid-state ships that use captive energy orbs for weapons and propulsion

Variants on a common Vic Viper style frame

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

rinski posted:

I've been tinkering around with an expanded palette a bit more and refined the monster I posted earlier. Mostly it's just better shading and additional details. I think it looks better than my last try, but again, I'm not sure it looks better than limited palette version (link, for reference).

I'll probably update the ground sprites once I figure out my palette.

I really like what you've done with the texture and shading on the body of the monster, but I like the ragged, sketchy design for the hanging tendrils on the original. The new ones seem like they could use some detail to break up the vertical lines.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

Scut posted:

I think you are referring to the 'Bravo' design. I agree that it's generic looking but it's intended to be 'ordinary, line infantry' with no special abilities. The player is going to be dodging them or killing them without severe difficulty. I had a different design for them with a cape and no helmet but it made them feel too 'special'. Maybe I'll revisit the design, this all came about from a game jam originally so I was operating under a time budget that is no longer an issue.

What if you put horns on their helmets?

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

Sophism posted:

I'm not sure I'm happy with the way the breastplate is moving though. I tried to make it look like a looser, secondary layer of metal, but it kind of looks like it's jiggling.

I think part of the reason it looks off is that when the breastplate animates, it seems to swivel with her right shoulder and ignore her left. If it's loosely bound to the rest of the armor, you should consider where it's connected. Most likely it'd be resting on her shoulders so the whole thing might tilt up when she raises an arm but it wouldn't dip below where it's resting on the other shoulder. You may also be able to make it look a bit less jiggly by flattening the shading a bit to make the metal plates appear flatter.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

The vest definitely reads a lot cleaner, but the (eyepatch?) still blends with his mouth and makes his face a bit confusing. Kinda like the smile works its way up the side of his face.

The shape or color might need tweaking to separate it from his mouth.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

Arne's Generic 16 Color Palette is pretty good too.

http://androidarts.com/palette/16pal.htm

I made a set of 9x12 pixel numbers a while back.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

Disproportionation posted:

Cheers for the tips, guys! I was actually considering toning down the detail; I'm aiming for more of a top down shooter look, so a scaled back look might be more appropriate considering the foreground is supposed to be pretty high up altitude-wise.

Reducing the contrast between the colors in the grass should also help to add a bit more depth and make the ship stand out from the background:

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

rinski posted:

One problem I'm grappling with is the sense of what's "good enough." For example, when I look at this animation, I can tell the shading is a bit off, but I don't find it jarring. But because my perspective is one of relative ignorance, I'm unsure how many people view this similarly, how many people would balk at the shading and think it really detracts from the animation, and how many people might sense something seems off but aren't quite sure what. I think my best bet is to aim for the latter space, partially because I enjoy that aesthetic and partially out of rationalization: I'd like to finish this project and the road to competent pixel art is long and blocky.

If the light source is casting shadows on the lower part of the sphere, it seems like the stalk and some of the other parts should be casting longer shadows too, on the sphere and themselves.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

It always blows my mind to see such an "ugly" palette (that is, colors which at first don't seem to be compatible with each other or the subject) applied in a way that looks natural and vibrant. I also love the detail and the sense of motion in this one.

General Specific fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

exmarx posted:

thanks! working with challenging palettes is one my favourite things about pixel art – it's got a similar mindset to other aspects, e.g. making the viewer feel that the resolution is higher than it really is.

another one for pixel dailies:

Do you start with a greyscale and map the palette to the levels, or work with the palette from start to finish? I'd love to see the WIP steps of putting together something like this portrait or the fish.