Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yes pretty much all of those are recognizable toys/video game peripherals? I think that's the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You need a sexy babe shark neon light for the XXX club there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Here's a few pixels from my baby RPG maker project. Im fairly new to pixel art but Ive been keeping up with this thread for a while and it's been a constant inspiration. These are locations on the world map at 400x.

Crescent Forest

A village of Gnomes. The roofs are covered in sod and they grow flowers and vegetables and stuff on them. Like big pointy garden gnome hats.

The little trails are where the player will enter the areas. Also none of the water is done yet, so I guess ignore that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

a walled city

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cheap Shot posted:

I think it would look a lot better without the black lines imo

I know black lines arent generally super useful in pixel art but Im trying for a sort of Mother 3 aesthetic with these and that's something I really like about it. Maybe its a bit much though? I dont know, I havent been doing this for very long.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Electricb7 posted:

Are there any good tutorials that anyone could recommend? I'm having a hard time making tilesets and simple sprites. Its so weird I thought that this would be a lot simpler.
I'm trying to get something up and running on RPGmamkerVXAce and I dont like the default tiles/sprites. I was trying to go for something a bit simpler such as A Link to the Past style sprites or Pokemon. Something that looks good but without the absurd amount of detail like the ones that are already there because if I wanted to add to them in order to make my own environments they would clash horribly.

I feel as though I'm tackling this the wrong way. Any suggestions, recommendation?

Alright, as somebody who's been working with VXAce for a couple of months now I'll chime in.

The thing to remember about Ace and tiles is that it works on a grid, with each block on the grid being a 32x32 pixel square. By default everything from characters to bushes to mountains works off of this scale and this is also the amount moved by a character when they walk. Unless you muck around with things quite a bit this will result in a weird sort of blocky square look to your maps.

Ace's map tilesets are incredibly weirdly structured and it took me loving forever to figure out how to work them. Autotiles, which are the default tiles that automatically add, for example, a few pixels of beach when the land touches a water tile, can save you a lot of space on your tileset sheets, but again they are very hard to break out of the default blocky look due to the 32x32 squares.

I would recommend you just sort of mess with it - open up one of the default tilesets in Photoshop or whatever you use and save a copy somewhere, then just draw on it. Start with solid colors and lines until you get a feel for how the engine is going to auto-tile the stuff. Since you want to go for a simpler art style youre probably going to use a lot of solid colors anyway.

What I did starting out was take sprites from some other games and zoom way in on them in Photoshop and just sort of look at how they are constructed. I recolored a bunch of things from Super Nintendo games until I got a bit more confident. Honestly there's nothing wrong with just using some sprites from Zelda until you know what you want and how to achieve it. I havent really used any tutorials personally but this thread: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/20383-one-cut-studios-pixel-dojo-latest-tut-04-19-2014/ has a lot of stuff that might help you.

Im not a pro by any means (obviously since Im using RPG Maker) and Im really new to pixel art. If you have any questions about RPG maker though like scripts or if you want me to go into more detail about autotiles feel free to ask.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

edit: Eh, I misread your post, nevermind. Sorry, I don't know of any other sites like that.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 25, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There are scripts you can install in an RPGmaker to get more frames in your walk cycles as well as diagonal walk frames like in say Earthbound. I've got one that essentially lets you specify the number of frames it dices your spritesheet into, and so there's really no limit on how many you could animate.

Obviously if you can, at all, you should use a real program, but if you're like me, and just poking around for an hour or so a day at making a game, there's a huge community out there dedicated to removing limitations like that from RPGmaker.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'd like some advice on these environments. I'm working on an RPG Maker game, which comes with some specific limitations on things like the resolution of the screen, and how precise you can get with collision detection and so on. With that in mind and also my relative newbie-ness to pixel art I'm going for a simple, Earthbound/Mother 3 look for the game.

The main character's bedroom. There's actually a window with curtains and a little sunbeam on the right hand wall, but it's evented in RPG Maker so it's not on the actual map.

Bathroom, kitchen, and classroom.

The main thing I'm not sure about here is the perspective. I was looking at how Mother 3 did it's interiors, and they do this sort of slight incline on the perspective of the room, like thus:

I really love how this kind of stuff looks but I'm having a hard time reconciling the furniture and stuff - if I follow the lines of the wall it looks kind of weird to me. The furniture in Mother 3 doesn't really warp to the perspective of the room much at all but it feels kind of wrong to just ignore it. At the same time though I know there's already some majorly hosed up perspectives on this stuff and I don't think it's really possible to do perfectly given the limitations of the system. It's not like the player sprite will get larger as it approaches the front of the map after all.

Earthbound has a really extreme slant to the perspective and the furniture and especially the floor patterns don't even attempt to match it:

I'm kind of wondering if it's even worth it and if I should go with a more straightforward top-down Link to the Past or Pokemon style perspective.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Your point about the desks is unfortunately a limitation of the engine. When I first did that map they did get larger and more spaced apart as they came forward, but once they move they go off of RPG maker's 32x32 square system. When stuff takes up more or less than a full square you have to decide whether you want your player to be able to walk on that square, meaning they overlap solid objects, or not, meaning the player is left with an empty space they cannot enter where there is no desk blocking them. This was the only way I could get the player to be able to walk smoothly among the desks. Ditto with the high ceilings; RPG maker can't have a map smaller than a certain size, so it's either an expanded cutaway view or more black bars. Do you think expanding the black borders would be visually more appealing?

Your other points are extremely well-taken, and is pretty much what I was afraid I was doing with this style. I'm kind of leaning towards going for the way Mother 3 does it, ignoring the perspective for objects not touching the walls, and maybe making the angle of the walls less severe to disguise that, rather than adhere to the vanishing point strictly, since there will always be cases like the desks where the engine will prevent me from really making it look "right."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I redid a lot of the environments from my last post, making sure they're all using the same level of slant for the perspective and going for a consistent top down perspective for anything not touching the wall.

I'm kind of iffy about the teacher's desk since the long part of it that's slanted isn't touching the wall, but I think it's close enough to the wall that such a long object would look really distracting if it was purely top-down. I'm probably going to re-do the couch and the TV in the living room because now that I look at it they're pretty out of place with the stricter perspective.

Also how about the wood panels on the living room floor? Is the perspective effect jarring with the furniture or should I leave it in?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

swamp waste posted:

Hey what is this for? If it's for a game and you're going to be reusing these as tiles, they need to be in some kind of forced perspective that looks reasonably OK but much more importantly can be placed in any scene. This is what the Mother / Earthbound games do, look at how those tile sets are put together. If these are stand-alone pieces or pre-baked backgrounds for a game, they need to be drawn without any notable perspective fuckups and not resized in that way that makes some of the black lines 2 px and others 1 px. You don't need realistic shadows and perspective for a sprite game, but having noticeably wrong shadows and inconsistently realistic perspective is bad news

It's pre-baked backgrounds for an RPG maker project. I don't anticipate re-using these backgrounds or elements from them as the game is mostly set in the wilderness/fantasy setting and these more domestic areas are going to be a very small part of the game. The lines don't do that in the actual files, I resized them and took snapshots with windows snipping tool.

I just redid all these specifically trying to keep a consistent perspective - it's not 'right' but it's internally consistent - making sure all the walls have the same slant and everything else should be just straight top-down. Looking at it again I do need to fix the stairs in the living room as well as the couch and TV. What else specifically looks inconsistent to you?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

swamp waste posted:

OK cool. That sounds like a good way to handle the perspective. The only other problem I see is that the shadows look weird, especially in the kitchen and around the living room door and stairs. Also you got some scribbles still visible in the classroom carpet but maybe they're supposed to be?

I like the mundane settings a lot. Video games are so saturated with fantastical and over-the-top scenes that walking into a mildly dirty kitchen or whatever has actually become more surprising and more emotionally resonant than walking into some epic stuff

The classroom is supposed to be sort of a scuffed or dirty tile floor, not carpet. The little scribbles, I just sort of felt like they looked right. It's the kind of thing I would have done drawing a scene at a full scale, but maybe it doesn't work in pixels.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Still working on the living room.

And the front yard.

I wanted to show some sky on this and get a little creative but I wasn't sure how to show the fence sort of winding back. Most of the outside areas aren't going to show the sky like this.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spent my off time over the last few days of work on these two trees for the main character's back yard, turns out they are ludicrously oversized for the setting and really don't make much sense. Oh well. I did enjoy doing them, at least.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

When the player gets about midway through the side, a couple of tiles past those side steps, they are moved to the backyard map which is all top down. Trying to do something fancy like scale the player during the move is probably beyond the scope of RPG maker and my skills.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

swamp waste posted:

Oh okay. That seems like it might feel weird, like the hill is disappearing when you get close to it? I don't know i'd have to see it in motion. RPG Maker is pretty limiting it's true but if you want to scale the player you could do that in increments with scaled-down sprites. I feel like some 90s RPG did that.

The screen fades to black on the transition so hopefully it's not so jarring, like the hill just vanishes.

I can already think of the events to switch the player to a smaller sprite as they go farther up the hill, but you'd have to either make it a short cutscene where the player loses control of the character or do some event wizardry where the sprite scales back to full-size if the player should decide to turn around and walk back towards the front yard mid-way up the hill. It's doable, but I don't think it's really worth it for something that's probably not going to come up much in the rest of the game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Neowyrm posted:

Hi, everyone. I'm gonna make a lovely RPG featuring my friends, and I've composed some sprites. Critique welcome.

bonus:

I think I did pretty OK for my first time ever doing pixel art, ever.

Your Iron Man is pretty good for how tiny it is. The person above him sort of has a puppy face, though. Unless that's what you're going for, I don't know your friends.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A walk animation

Trying to stick to a rule where there's only black along the outline of the character.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've been arting my entire life, just started pixel art a couple months ago, but no matter what it is, cartoons, pixel, painting, guitar, whatever, you will always feel this way. The ability to be critical of your own work is IMO the defining attribute of someone with real potential vs. DeviantArt kids who think everything they do is gold and can't stomach any criticism at all.

All I can really tell you to help out is that no matter what artist you admire, 100% guaranteed there is an artist that they look at and feel jealous and envious of how they are able to capture what they want. And you're also not seeing the hundreds of thousands of pieces they've made that they'd never let see the light of day because they're God-awful.

It's just how it works. You're doing it right.

_jink posted:

that's kawaii dogg. Couple things: I don't know if it was intentional, but having the pupil not touching the top or bottom of an eye makes their expression look shocked/stunned(emphasized further by the dark line under the eye). I'd also try bringing the nose back a pixel closer to the head, making the hair shine one unbroken line, and smoothing the transition to the top of the head 1 pixel so the top isn't quite so flat (if that makes any sense).

beyond that you should experiment making the shadows darker/different hues. They're really close to the light values atm and you can go crazy with that poo poo in pixel art. The animation itself is really good!

And to respond to this as long as Im here, man you have no idea how many different ways I tried to do that eye. I deliberately didn't want to do the FF6-style top to bottom anime pupil but putting one or two pixels at literally any other position within the eye gives it some kind of emotion or makes it look sort of dumb or crosseyed or something. I think it comes off a little better from the front, at least:

But I'm open to suggestions. I don't mind her having a sort of awed/intrigued expression as the default as she is a curious person and is going to see a lot of weird things but I don't want her to look dumbstruck the entire game.

As far as the colors I was trying to keep it pretty simple with this one. I'm considering how hard it would be to change the sprite to more dramatically colored versions depending on the lighting in the area.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 1, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm not a fan of the bigger pupils. Theyre a bit too anime for what I'm going for. Im working on something kind of like this, losing the eye outline and adding an eyebrow, smaller white area with the pupils lowered a bit.

The right image is the original for comparison. A step in the right direction?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

_jink posted:

toss me the original size, I'll try editing it. Unless someone knows of a good way of shrinking sprites? Even with hard edged interpolation things tend get a little hosed up when I try in photoshop. :(

Thats the full stand sheet. Theres 6 of each one because Im using a script for more frames in the walk animations which requires the standing sheet to match it. Curious what a strange set of eyes can do with this.

Chipp I think he means that pixel art in general is a really small scale to learn anatomy with. You need to pick up some charcoal and draw a person.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Noyemi K posted:

Today I did an av request for user Matoi Ryuko.

My objective was to take this image:

and turn it into some nice PC-88 style art:

It turned out to be pretty difficult compared to drawing over my own art, since I tend to use thicker lines than animators do. But the result was worth the effort! :)

I also kinda did it "live", I posted the image to the thread the request was made in and users could see changes if they refreshed after I saved my work.

Hey this is pretty dang off topic but Ive been reading your posts in the tumblr thread in GBS and was wondering if there was a thread somewhere where people posted about RPG maker stuff. I feel pretty out of place in the making games thread and it would be cool to talk to Goons about making rpgs.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Screenshot Saturday eh??

This one pops up in battles when you get a critical hit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not quite sure how to take that.

I do head-tilts too, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Today i am working on the entrance to the first dungeon

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm going to play the Hell out of that lonely children thing. edit: Is it on android?

And I loving love the tiles on your Zelda-like.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That animation actually looks more like someone swinging a whip or riding crop than a sword, just based on their body language and the follow-through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The thing about 8 and 16 bit is it doesn't really fit sprites really well - the Genesis, the SNES and the TurboGraphix were all technically 16 bit systems but all had radically different colors they could work with as well as things like size of sprites and number of sprites displayable on the screen at once. Once you get past 8 bit it becomes a lot less useful as a visual descriptor.