Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Wooo pixel art!
Here's some of my stuff, it continues the common theme of most of it being unfinished. :p

Here's one of my oldest things:

For some reason when I played animal crossing I said to myself "you know what this game needs? to be on the snes."
I dunno, but this was the first tileset I made and some of it still looks alright.

This one's pretty old too:

I drew this for no reason, I just felt like drawing a pre-fight thing for ken, obviously never finished.

I made these tiles for a PDA game where you draw lines to direct special liquids, can't remember the name of the game and I dunno if it ever came to be.
Pretty simple stuff but I still quite like it, it has a nice feel I think.

A few years old, I made this for a secret santa thing on a pixel art forum (Pixelation, I highly recommend the place, really cool smart guys and you can learn a lot about the medium there)

I made this for a thread over at pixelation, we made mockups for heaps of games as if they were on the original Gameboy. thread if you're interested

The tiles I've probably spent the most time on, and at no point were these for any game of any sort, just boredom, if anyone wants these tiles let me know and I'll post them.

Some various sprites I've made, the last one is the the main character in the game I'm making with a friend:

It's called Fetch Quest and that's where you start off the game, the beach still isn't animated and the dog doesn't have a real jump anim yet, but you get the idea.

Really cool stuff by the way guys, I'm glad to see there are some pixel artists here and all the charming graphics. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks man, FQ still has a long way to go but it's nice to see some people know about it.

I think it was Paul Robertson (just search his name on youtube and watch everything) who did the graphics for Scott Pilgrim, definitely not a bad reference to choose.
Not shading can be a smart choice, it allows you to work faster and if you decide you want shading one day it's pretty easy to just add it in.
It's why FQ has very little shading :ssh:

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 25, 2012

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks guys, here are those rpg tiles, anyone's welcome to use them for anything however they want:
wave anim
Not exactly a full tileset or anything, but there you go.
I quite enjoy making tilesets, coming up with versatile and efficient tiles seems to scratch an itch. Here are some old mockups using that Link sprite and some obnoxious effects layered ontop:

Someone could make a walk engine out of them I guess.

Run anims are something that always takes me a few different attempts before really being happy with the result, and my general philosophy for animation is to just make it look smooth, I'm not much of an animator to be honest, I could never do what Paul Robertson makes look easy. But I do think for animations that the player is going to see all the time should have a high frame count, you just have to worry about it looking floaty.

I don't have a pixeljoint account, this thread is probably the largest deposit of my stuff on the internet, and I think the odds are good that Fetch Quest will be finished, but it's still a bit of a hobby project that we fluctuate working on, right now we're doing a fair bit of work on the first part of the game and it's going well. We plan on releasing a chapter one demo whenever that's ready.
Thanks again guys

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 28, 2012

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Aww snap, I hate pixel art.
The Shadow of the Katamari is by Snake, who's working on an indie game called Owlboy now.
The 4 color spartan is by Helm, who's an admin of Pixelation. He's mostly been making political cartoons for Greek papers/magazines for the past couple years, but is currently on vacation.

Some stuff of my own:

Here's a WIP version of the game the ghoul is from (controls are Z, X, and the arrow keys):
[link]
I abandoned it because it's not very fun, but I think the art I made for it is pretty good :toot:
You just reminded me I'm supposed to be a beta tester for Owlboy, I should send those guys an email...

Helm's four colour spartan was my bootup screen on winXP and I never got sick of it, expert colour management and a clear understanding of how pixels physically work, it's really one of my favourite pixel art examples.
Cool little game btw, you have a nice style.

I finally went back and did the leaves for this tree and it's pretty much finished. I'm sure I'll make countless tweaks here and there, but you get the idea.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks, contrast is something I think I might be having problems with now that I'm on a laptop, it's hard to always have the screen at the right angle. But at the same time this is a background object and I tend to give them less contrast than the rest of the environment.

The lighting might be throwing you off too, it doesn't really make sense, it shouldn't be a big deal when it's in the game because the whole thing can't fit on screen. :p

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah, I'm seeing the imbalance with the contrast now.. Thanks guys, this is why fresh eyes always help. I'll come back to this tree tomorrow. I don't think I'll go quite as far as your edit Jewel, since I have a kinda pastel colour thing going, but your version definitely makes mine look dull.

Thanks about the tree bark, it was the fun part. The swirly root is exactly that simple. :p

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Alright how's this look? Did some extra work on the bark too

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This is a nice little enemy, only thing that could use some work are the wings- they look a bit too floppy, I think the spots need to move a bit more.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Whooops, forgot about this thread, let me go back...

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

How did you do the leaves, anyway? There's so many, was there any copy\paste work, or all pushing pixel by pixel?
Yes some copy and pasting from a smaller tree I had already made, but most of it was pixel by pixel.

a boxing teahorse posted:

Again, though, messing around with subtle hue-shifting on the darkest and lightest bits of the leaves is a really neat way to show that they're catching sunlight and to show depth/create contrast. That only goes so far, though, since it's a very stylized tree where the leaves register as more of a single, shaped mass than thousands of individuals.

Plus, looking at an actual color wheel, it would be a much smoother shift to bring the darker brown to reddish-purplish. Sliding it all the way to blue doesn't make a whole let of sense.

Here's a GIF of my take at some minor changes. Up to you to decide whether it fits the style/looks better or not.
Thanks a bunch, when I saw this I just threw my hands up and copied it into the game. :)

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I'll try to fix it, good catch. Should I change the body's color at all? Since everything is a shade of purple it looks kind of odd.
Yeah maybe, it already reads pretty well but changing the colour would add a bit more to the design, have you done anymore work on it?

Here's what I've been working on lately:

I think it's done, but I'd like to get some feedback before dropping it. Keep in mind that it will hold on certain frames in game for ascending and descending.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Thats looking pretty nice. The main thing I see with it is the back, tail and the back legs on the landing, they seem to be a bit ridgid, maybe bring the back legs towards the head with a slightly curved back a for the land?
How's this look:

I moved the hind legs and arched the back a little, maybe not enough?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks for the detailed crits, does this look any better?

Please excuse how floaty it looks, I just wanted to make it clear where exactly the animation loops for ascending and descending

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Any better?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Bilgewater posted:

I hope this doesn't come off as harsh critique, your animation style is very lovely
No no please, I don't mind at all.

Does that look any better?
I know he should be readying his legs for the landing, but I think I prefer the old hind legs out the back because those are the frames the animation loops until he lands, meaning when he jumps from a great height I think it makes more sense to have his legs in a free-fall type of position rather than preparing for the landing the whole way down. I also don't really want more than 3 frames for the landing, which I'll admit is problematic since his front and hind legs land at different times, but it's to avoid his legs sliding too much when he hits the ground running.

Pretty cool stuff btw Disproportionation, very good considering you don't push pixels very often. You should consider finding a coder to make a shmup, it's one of the easier genres to make the assets for.
And nice work not making the portraits symmetrical, that's always been a pet peeve of mine.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks again for the great advise guys, I've been away for the last week and I haven't felt like working on the jump anim, but I'll get back into it soon and make use of all your suggestions.
In the meantime, here's a new tree type I made for the game:

I really like it, I just need to make another in a smaller size.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

:suicide:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

AntiPseudonym posted:

Your animation is always so smooth. :3:
Thanks dude, I think it's really important for a swimming animation to look smooth and to not have it suddenly jump when changing directions etc.
Finished his upwards swimming today

I should have his downward swimming finished tomorrow. We're gonna have the engine rotate the sprites when changing between directions so you don't have to wait for the animation to finish before a manually made transition can happen.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

systran posted:

This is great animation but I have an issue with how fat the black line gets when he is at the most erect part of his pose. It's especially noticeable when you watch the smaller thumbnail; you see a big black line suddenly appear and it pulls the eye straight toward it. I would soften up the outline or at least modify the pose so that this doesn't happen.
Thanks dude, but I really don't understand your criticism- do you mean his left arm when it's fully stretched out?
If it's any consolation the blacks won't look pure black when underwater.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I don't think it's really worth making a thread in games for, but it's worth sharing here at least.

I've shared some pixel art from the game I'm making much earlier in the thread and today we have a demo available for download (PC only sorry)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/si6b68

http://fetchquest.wordpress.com/ for more info

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

For me, tens of hours.
I get the rough key frames done first, clean them up and smooth it out with more frames, then finalize each frame with all the pixel art techniques, then I usually go and make tweens and double the whole framecount.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I've been slowly working on the death animation for my game

It's a Super Metroid style death, not going for any blood, just to imply a pain overload.
The exploding sparks are recolours of the effect used when you kill an enemy, I'm not sure if I'll keep them as a base, but it definitely needs something more...
Suggestions?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions guys, how's this?
3x
I made the frame where he's half exploded transition smoother, added in more spark effects and added more frames to slow down the fade out at the end. - I also slowed the frames down a bit as he coils back.
I don't want to have him fade to white and explode because the blue and yellow represents him throughout the game , plus the background will fade to white.

edit-
here's a quick example of how it'll look in game

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think the real problem is that you've mirrored the arms and copied the legs, it makes it kinda look like an egyptian hieroglyph.
I suggest something like this:
(edit on the right, switching in the middle)
I made parts of his legs thicker, pulled his left arm up one pixel and pulled it in closer- these changes give it more perspective and depth, I also changed the angle on his right foot.
It's a nice sprite though, I think you've got everything at a good size and it looks in proportion, but I think you're taking a very systematic approach which results in things looking a bit awkward.
Copying one limb to be the other isn't a bad way to work, especially for animations, but you can't just leave it as a perfect copy. It creates a repeating silhouette effect that is hard to ignore, you need to spend extra time to make the limb closest to the camera appear more dominant and just move pixels around on the other.
Keep it up, it's coming along very well

dizzywhip posted:

Hmm...slowing it down towards the end did give it more impact, but it might have actually made it worse overall because it's pretty stuttery. I'd either go back to the way it was before, speed it up at the beginning instead of slowing it down at the end, or ideally draw more frames to smooth it out again.

I'm being nitpicky though, it looks great, especially in game. I've seen gifs of this game posted a couple times throughout the thread and it's honestly some of my favorite 2D animation I've seen in a game.
Are you just talking about the timing on the frames where he coils back? I think it looks smooth enough, I was thinking maybe a way to get more mileage out of the frames would to have him stutter back and forth as he coils back.

Definitely less smooth, but maybe more painful?