Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to make pixel art but, after reading all of this thread, I've instead started doing figure and object sketches, five minutes per sketch, every day. It seems like the "learn art" thread has been archived, so if it's ok I'll post some pictures here for suggestions and feedback.

Also, those sprites are awesome McKilligan; they'd be amazing for something like Battle Brothers.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's so true what I read earlier, that using smaller characters and a limited palate can be an excellent way to focus your work, beacaus it's still surprising to me how much "character" a good sprite packs into a few pixels; that little bobbing enemy in the second image is tiny, but he's also cute! And the way the helmet hangs a moment after he drops down is a nice touch.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 25, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mmmn I really like the way she turns into, and sits down on, that right hand; that's a good punch.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was wondering if anyone who creates Pixel Art wanted to comment on this new article:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qj83yp/final-fantasy-remasters-reignite-controversies-over-pixel-art

Personally, I'm of two minds: the appearance of the sprites on a CRT is a revelation, but the example provided of what an HD metal slug character should look like seems really bad?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh wow, I'd never seen those Keeper sprites, they're fantastic.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shinmera posted:

Been a while since I last did any pixel work that wasn't just fudging game assets slightly.

Very nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It looks incredible and the only immediate feedback I'd offer, aside from "great job I love it" would be color filters. Pixel Art often likes to reuse the same asset but in a different color palette, so anything that gestures to that would probably be appreciated.