Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Maybe for desert trees you could just have one big honkin' baobab: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Derby_boab,_Western_Australia.jpg
The alternate houses seem like a big improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Another character for my adventure game:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Thanks! I'm pretty much just drawing sketches at actual size, doing a lineart paintover and then adding color and detailing. I usually do the lineart in several passes, zooming in and progressively refining. It's low-tech and labor intensive but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

So many tortoises to draw, so little time.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Tinkering with a basic overhead tileset for an abandoned temple type thing. Sort of plain, but I think it reads well.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Some quick concept doodles for a smash-TV-esque shoot-em-up.

I'm going for kind of a hypersaturated 90s Laser Tag feel in the palette.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Let's give her a suitably radical male counterpart:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Two more, both a little less intricate:

And the beginnings of a tileset for a different part of the game:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Today is brought to you by the letters W, A, S and P, in that order.

Bonus planning sketch:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the chaos engine: That looks fantastic! I love the palette! The numbers in the top right look a little odd- are the irregular spacing and different-sized zeroes intentional or is this a mockup?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

If you reshape the eye a bit and reposition the iris she'll be looking straight ahead rather than down:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I have sort of a crazy idea for a project, but I'll have to experiment with how well I can get my bitmaps to compress before I'll know if it's possible.

hint: it's an adaptation of a well known video game.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Go with the purple. More color makes it pop better. The colorscheme of the gray version is more subdued.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

For some reason I've found myself and the other #SAGameDev IRC goons drawing a lot of dads lately.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I would say that MSPaint is still an OK option for pixel art, but the "ribbon menu" update to it really ruined most of the tools and made everything require twice as many mouse clicks to use. :(

I mostly work with Pixen.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

On Linux, Kolourpaint is a perfect recreation of old MSPaint's functionality and UI and it also adds the most glaring missing feature: transparency.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Cool minimalist aesthetic. Reminds me a bit of one of my old prototypes:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Scut posted:

Dude this looks so cool! Make this into an arcade game!

Well, it is at least open source. I suppose I could have a go at rewriting it in JavaScript for easier distribution, but I never felt like the gameplay really clicked.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

It's my avatar. My avatar is pixel art.

I like it. The palette is a nice digression from your usual colorscheme.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I think your avatar deserves an animal sidekick:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Xibanya posted:

I love the effect on this one: , where it looks like the display is having minor interference or whatever. Was that done by hand as well or did you use some kind of algorithm?

Shoehead posted:

Everything shifts one pixel to the left, that's it, and you just have it ripple down.

This is a fun little effect, so I whipped up two variations on it in a little pixel-pushing playground I'm tinkering with:
http://johnearnest.github.io/ok/ike/ike.html?gist=ba70d6d5339d545e2560

(You can swap out the image the program refers to pretty easily; it will be automagically repalleted to use Dawnbringer's 16 color palette)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I've been using Pixen forever and I'm a huge fan. The flexible grid tool is incredibly useful and I haven't seen an editor that works quite like it. It has historically had a few annoying problems with color and merging layers. Someday I'll probably break down and write my own pixel editor.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Legions of fans telling me my dithering has pixel islands and the composition of my color ramps are all wrong. :smith:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Noyemi challenged me to do the same character in my style. My version is much less detailed, but I think it came out reasonably well. Good practice:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

So I've taken on a student and started giving him assignments (well, really I'm just trying to see where he's at so I can give more personalized instruction later) and in order to relax a bit and take off the edge of "well, you don't have to do this bullshit!" I've decided to quietly work on my assessments myself as demonstrations when he's done with the full battery.

First assessment was a simple kitchen map with a 4-colour palette and 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, maximum resolution of 160x144:

This was my take on it, and I won't post his work here without his permission (especially since these aren't graded—I'm trying to figure out how he approaches different things). Consider it a Pixel Daily or something, since I made it in like 15 minutes after I received his completed assignment.

This looks great- the perspective reads well, and the palette is muted enough to allow sprites to "pop" on top of it.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Doubling down:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

Requesting an elf bakery sim.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

For big stuff I generally start with a sketch, scale it down, and then draw over it. For small stuff I start with pixels. I always try to get a design legible in black and white before adding color, both because this helps ensure things read well and because working in 2 colors makes it easiest to push pixels around and fine tune them without reaching for a palette constantly. Then I add color, sometimes completely removing or overpainting my "line art".

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

Cool, thanks. Boatload of questions for you (:sweatdrop:):
What programs do you use? Do you by chance have any comparison images of different working stages of pixel assets? What sets of dimensions do you work in and why? How many colors do you typically include in a palette?

I mainly work with Pixen, but be aware that it has some quirks and bugs that I've simply become used to. I keep threatening to write my own pixel editor.

I have a few examples of in-progress shots of larger pieces in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post424450669
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211&pagenumber=42&perpage=40#post430686104

I'm not particularly attached to any dimensions, but 16x24 can be fun to work with- it's a good aspect ratio for people and just enough to make a variety of characters and expressions read. Small sprites are easy to work with, especially if you're learning to animate.

I tend to go wild with my palette at first and then sometimes I'll work to reduce the color depth in a piece. Scut's advice is all good. Practice with 1-bit: you'd be surprised how much you can get out of only two colors through outlining, dithering, use of negative space, etc.

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 11, 2015

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Besesoth posted:

...I really want to play this game.

You're in Luck!

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 12, 2015

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 13, 2015

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

drat sticklegs! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

ToxicSlurpee is absolutely right. Everyone starts terrible and grows better only with practice.

Me 12 years ago:

Me a few weeks ago:

Still room to improve, and I'm looking forward to it.