Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

A bunch of stuff done over this year and last. nothing particularly amazing but whatev

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Getting back into gear again. need to push things further. get more better-er.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

traaaaaash

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 28, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Scut posted:

Try extending the time that the torso bobs down by an extra frame, it should add more visual weight I think.

better?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
hmm.. it's meant to be fairly big if I were to consider scale, but it's mostly in space settings. The problem is the thing needs to be able to move into position fast, so I don't want to tie it's movement up too much with the foot plant. To really get the effect across better, I'd have to add another frame I think? I can try that and see if it'll work.

E: wow okay i guess I was worried over nothing. the extra frame really helps and it doesn't hold anything back.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 29, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I guess there's two versions of it now.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 29, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

this stuff is starting to get really easy to do

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 17, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I feel like I took too long to do these few frames, but then again it's a bit more complex than what I'd ever really do normally. Re-learning as I go, I guess.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
That's... odd. it looks fine to me. if anything, I felt the opposite when I was working on it. I rotated the model 10 degree increments for each movement, so I figured it would look about the same? Maybe it's a weird visual eye trick due to the turret.

I made some changes to it before I went to bed last night. the shading on the back engine was kinda ehh.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I remembered I had this walk cycle sitting around from like 3(?) years ago so i decided to try and finish it.
I need to finish the last few frames but my eyes hurt atm.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Shoehead posted:

Yesss you do robotics so well. Have you posted your walkers from earlier this year ITT?

I think i did? it's been so long i don't remember.
Anyway, finished this thing I guess. Maybe I'll make more frames so it can be a proper castlevania animation set.

E: fixed a few small things.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 23, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I picked out bunches of palettes from old games usually, BUT another good place to look is those painting palette challenges. they usually have some awesome choices to go with.
Here's some sheets that I've saved in my reference folders. I used one of the palettes (with slight modification) to make this thing:

Experiment a bunch, pull screenshots from games/shows and look at paintings/photos, then just start practicing.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Whatever your favorite Dragonball character is, you're wrong because it's actually Android 8.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

old

new

someone asked me about that original for use in some indie game on one of the tandy PCs of all things, so I just decided to make them a much better one.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

rinski posted:

This is taking me back to the first time I played R-Type in the best of ways. So I have a question for you and for all the spaceship-posting people itt from a neophyte: do you mostly use math to figure out how the animation should look? Or do you just kinda sculpt the pixels until they look right? Because you guys seem to understand light and form in a way that's currently beyond me. I feel like I get how to pixel biological organisms, because there's a bit of inherent roughness and/or stylization that lends itself to organic objects. Creatures don't move 100% perfectly and some jerky motions actually make the sprites look more lifelike rather than less. But when I look at this ship, or stuff in FTL, or sprites from early SHMUPs (my go-to example is Nemesis/Gradius for Gameboy), it all looks so... meticulous. Like I get that your neutral to L/R tilt is just two frames, but there's an internal consistency between those two frames there that I don't 100% understand.

the thing that's important to understand is you're not really moving pixels around very much. you're changing color blocks to give the illusion of movement and making very minor changes to the overall structure. it's effectively static for the most part. if you'll notice, I don't actually change the arms shape or edges at all, I just move them over a pixel and bring in brighter/darker colors to give the illusion of them going higher/lower. the light acts as a depth control rather than a straight up light source in this method.
That ship in particular is 4 blue shades, white, and 3 gray shades totaling to 8, so I had to be very careful to give the lighting a good sense of movement.

Also I did some minor fixes to the colors. it felt a little off before.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I made a chompy boy
also first time doing an animation smear in pixel art

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's for a shmup yes. I wasn't sure if I should do more with it since this is just a suicide enemy that chases the player for a bit. (that and i'm running out of time.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

testing paintover of prerendered frames from like 2-ish weeks ago? I forget how long it's been.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Was being brought on to try and help remake some freeware shmup from 2002 or something, though I don't know what's going to happen with it at this point. I'll find out soon enough.
Anyway, old sprite:

and my redo:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

anothergod posted:

Rarely am I into super faithful remakes, but that looks both very faithful and very good.

To be honest, I ended up taking alot of liberties in spaces that were incomprehensible or just REALLY ugly on it. Namely, some spaces i just added alot more meaty muscle gunk where there was none, and getting rid of that awful front wing bit. If I were kept on to do more of these things, total redesigns would have been in order, as there's sprites in much worse condition than this one was.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Gift I made for a good friend's birthday, albeit like 2 weeks late. I feel exceptionally rusty and have probably made some massive errors in judgement in the pixel clusters. this is what I get for being out of practice.
E: made a bunch of changes, also realized her little helmet hair tuft was on the wrong side so I just flipped the canvas.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 8, 2019

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I may get to finally work on a scrolling shooter if the mockup goes well and I've never been more happy to just go totally ham with a boss design and plan animation structures etc.
My only worry is that it won't get ok'd. The guy seems interested in what I'm doing atleast, but I dunno who he's pitching things to exactly. but in the case it doesn't pan out I will shop my work around to different folks and see if anyone is willing to work with me.

E:

I now have a background, UI, and the starts of a player sprite. next I need bullets and to refine the background more.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 8, 2020

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

More scrolling shooter stuff, I decided to figure out what the player looks like, and ended up making a sprite big enough to work for an intro/start screen. scaled for 240x320
Background is a placeholder, I feel this sprite work on a sky background or city sunset/night but I don't have time to make that atm.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
more than likely 4:3 240x320, IE screen turned on it's side view. it's large enough that I can move it around on the screen a bit for an intro or something, and have some wiggle room. (I should probably finish the little wing on the left so I can pan it in.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Player mecha more or less finalized for the left/right movements. I'll need to make some frames for a few other things, but for now this is good.
Feels great to finally understand sub-pixelling though. I didn't think I could actually do it until this!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Current Progress on stage 1 graphics for my game. I'm having the player go up the side of a building for the second half of the stage, but I felt it would be too boring if it was just one looping pattern for the whole bit. so, I made an entirely new section that pans over to see the side of it, while also allowing me to have a little parallaxed city in the background.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

midboss, idk. need to figure out some hands or something.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

finished a new enemy. I've done lots of things for the game but most of them is miniscule things like UI and hit graphics and flares.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Scut posted:

Sick. Not sure if you have sprite / time constraints but you could add some light flash on the hull and turret when the gun fires?

maybe later. there's so much to do that right now I'm trying to just get each asset out the door as quickly as possible. now that I have a coder, I'm officially the bottleneck on production because they're working way faster than I can.

I still need a 1up icon but it's not as important right now. still gotta make more bullets and I've got ATLEAST an entire week's worth of work on animating the midboss.

Shoehead: you really nailed the look you're going for, nice job!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 17, 2020

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I got off my rear end and made a big enemy that i was needing for awhile.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I've been very busy lately with alot of stuff, so I'm just gonna show off the most interesting things.

And also I did this mod for Rivals of Aether, which I am very proud of!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiA1wZWUwo
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2650595821

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 13, 2021

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

bessantj posted:

Those are some really nice stuff. How long did that street scene take you?

the street scene is from my game, it's more of a screenshot of the tilemap than anything.
I honestly couldn't tell you how long it took though. grand majority of that tileset I did last year, I just finally got around to replacing the ugly buildings and adding shadow layers and trees sometime 2-3 months ago.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I've got jobs doing pixel art at this point, which has been great since I quit my job 4 months ago, but I finally had some time to sit down and finish this animation.

I was frankly never satisfied with it, so it feels good to finally smooth it out and give it more bounce/subpixelling.
hopefully I can make more animations for her and finalize a Rivals of Aether character.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 18, 2022

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I'm not proud of what this was made for, but I AM quite happy with the piece itself and that I managed to accomplish it in 3 days.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
my freelance work lets me do some pretty nuts things and get paid for it. Alot of the time I'm given free reign besides a prompt and it's really funny how easily wowed people are.
https://twitter.com/GalleonSpirit/status/1506533029547716608

I just finished this after 3 days or so of work and it's funny how I just tore apart that old boss remake sprite and made new stuff around it.
If you play scrolling shooters alot you'll also see a few references in the design!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I don't know how I hadn't posted about this yet.

I got contracted last year to do animations for Double Dragon Gaiden, as well as managed to get another artist friend hired to do other pixel stuff for it as well! I'm not at liberty to say what yet (it didn't show up in the trailers yet) but I am very excited to see my work in a big game like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0ff_uZQrY

Also here's some other stuff I've done idk:

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 6, 2023