Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

ButtWolf posted:

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Do you have an example? I'm not a traditional artist, so general concepts do not occur to me.

Try this: look at your picture and then squint your eyes, notice how some of the colours seem to disappear into their neighbor? That's because they values are too similar. Value is how light or dark a colour is, regardless of hue.

I've attached a visual to what I'm talking about. Your original colours are on the left. In this case the hue I'm using is your red from the lightsaber, arranged by value with the lightest at top and lowest at bottom. Notice how similar they are? Next I've selected greys that approximate the reds in value, and then selected new greys that push the value ranges out to increase contrast, finally with a new light red and dark red that will read to the eye easier.

Sidenote: I didn't do any hue shifting to keep this simple but as a next step it's often a good idea to shift your brighter colours into a warmer hue and your darker colours into a cooler hue. So the light red would get shifted towards the orange spectrum, the dark would shift towards the purple / magenta.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Harold Krell posted:

Playing with parallax scrolling and color blending tricks to get convincing looking clouds for a side-scroller.

Perfect

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

You have several viable styles in that timeline. Nothing wrong with iterating and tweaking. I would suggest seeing what you can do with visual hierarchy. Push up contrast on things like faces, push down contrast on things like feet. The human eye tends to gravitate towards the 'face' of something first. The terrain looks good but fights for attention against the sprites. Switching to blank tiles of solid colour, with the occasional textured tile thrown in will clean up the space and give the viewer the information they need to understand what is grass and what is gravel etc.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

It's not really for anything, I like spending hours drawing ugly mechs once in a while.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Couldn't agree more. It's probably more glaring than it should be because the rest of the program is so drat nice to use. I would love it if they implemented GIMP's selection adjustment, where single-clicking inside the selection toggles the mode to stretch and move just the selection box and it gives big handles to make it easy.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ these lil sprites are cute ^^^

Olive! posted:

It is the arrow keys.
e: is it possible you're using an old version of Aseprite or something?

It nudges the selected pixels but not the selection itself.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Odddzy posted:

Has anyone here tested pyxel edit? I've done some stuff with it and enjoy the tile manager it has but I'm curious to know how the good pixel artists of this thread think it scales in comparison to Aseprite.

Pyxel Edit is a good program. I still keep it for making tilesets. Aseprite has become my main workhorse pixel art tool. If you mostly make sprites and paintings, Aseprite is my tip. If you make tilesets, get Pyxel. Both are cheap, you money goes to indies, if you can afford both I say do it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scarodactyl posted:

What features do you see as missing in aseprite?
Most of the pros I know use aseprite but promotion has a solid reputation, though I have not tried it myself.

Aseprite could use easier selection tools, especially for modifying a selection on the fly. Tiling is not a strongpoint, although as my previous post mentioned there are some cheap specialized tools for tiling available. Aseprite added 2x1 pixels recently which is cool but last I checked I couldn't set a custom pixel ratio (more a fun feature than essential). I would love some sort of greyscale matching tool, or value matching, so that I can assemble palettes that have colours of different hue or saturation that match value to their neighbor.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Misandry Cannon posted:

thoughts? whatd i do wrong and how can i not do that wrong thing

You are using some transparency (alpha) in that sprite and I would recommend against that. It tends to make pixel art more difficult to manage and muddies your results.

Here's how I would adjust your palette. I tried to create clear steps in value between each colour, as well and shifting hues warmer as they get lighter and cooler as they get darker. Greater saturation on darker hues helps too.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Indexed mode means the document operates within strictly a limited palette. RGB means you have access to millions of colours. If you are using Aseprite I would suggest just leaving it in RGB mode but use the palette swatches on the left side of the screen and select one of the preset palettes.

Having distinct steps in your colours is good because you are working in a deliberately small number of colours with pixel art and you want each cluster of pixels to be meaningful. If they are too similar you spent all that time for very little payoff to the eye. Closely similar colours also mean an image that appears flatter and less interesting.

I chose to add reds and purples because those felt like colours that would make sense in the deep shade of a tree. Brown is really just orange that has been desaturated or darkened, but trees can have lots of other colours happening in the bark. I also thought the dark red could work in some areas of foliage where you want to show gaps in the lit areas. The purple would act as a good deep shadow across either the bark or foliage. Shadows make a surface appear cooler, more blue or violet, to the eye, especially under sunlight.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Im fairly happy with these, maybe too many dark colours? Also annoyingly I switched the pallette to dawnbringers 32 colour one and there's a few reaaaaaly similar colours hidden in the frames somewhere, but I can cross that bridge when I come to it with photoshop.

It reads quite well I think. Most of your dark colors are concentrated in the feet, legs, body. Hands, head and face pop out against that and those are elements the player will focus on more.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I totally fell off the thread with my dayjob. Tons of great work to look at! These trees are really special.

Ash Crimson you've made massive progress in your pixel art.

:rms:

I started this piece when I was losing sleep as the pandemic set in. Finally decided to set it aside and work on something else. I like it though!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

I'm trying to figure out a bunch of palettes I can shift between, is there like an easy tool that lets me have a... color spreadsheet or something I can add rows and move things in?

If you find a good tool please post it. Aseprite's palette is pretty good, lets you move colours around and then you can export the palette as a png but I don't know if it supports palette subgroups which I would like because often in a project I will assign subsets for different classes or themes.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

It's a nice desaturated palette. Try removing the black outlines from the tile elements, I think you will find that they still read and the character sprites will immediately pop to the foreground.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sick. Not sure if you have sprite / time constraints but you could add some light flash on the hull and turret when the gun fires?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nice warm / cool balance!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ash Crimson posted:

A small update:

Low contrast background is cool but I would suggest higher contrast sprites, or at least use your darkest tone in the palette for the sprite outlines.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scarodactyl posted:

Spent a bit of time getting ready for when Lowtax gets perma'ed.

that's a thing of beauty, I'd donate to get that in the smilie database

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mr.Misfit posted:

Hey folks, hope this is the correct way, I'm looking for someone to create pixel-art for my indie-pen&paper-rpg, a dark sci-fi dune/babylon5/foundation-esque game about power plays, dirty deeds and wavering loyalties. Is ...is this the right place to ask if anyone's willing to take this up? Or are there better places to look for artists?

I'd also suggest Twitter as a good place to find artists.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

I love watching this process.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Working on a tileset for my roguelike interpretation of Brigador.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lowen posted:

It's BrigadorTech: The Killdozer Corvid's Inception

I remember playing The Crescent Hawk's Inception so well played on cutting so close to the bone without knowing me.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the Goblin Week thread

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fantastic light sourcing

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
hell yeah

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I picked up Rexpaint as well as a cool ANSI character set called MRMOTXT. Did a throwback to my old Salvage project to help learn the medium. It's really fun to work with not only limited colours but also constrained shapes. Feels like a fresh take on the medium.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

DownItGoes posted:

A plant in 10 colours, criticism/advice welcome.

It's nice. The pot shading is maybe a little too noisy? Maybe try some dither patterns to see if that cleans it up a bit and helps describe the curvature of the pot.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scarodactyl posted:

This was a bit rushed, especially the loop at the end, but it was fun to work on.

I had a very long drag of a day, letting this run on my second monitor to help me chill out.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm not proud of what this was made for, but I AM quite happy with the piece itself and that I managed to accomplish it in 3 days.

That's a really fun sequence

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

which great house will you be dune next?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

bredfrown posted:

I did some stuff on a vintage Macintosh SE I restored earlier this year.

Album:
https://imgur.com/a/kqsufSC

I miss having a CRT, one of these days I'll find a trinitron or something I can run slideshows on.

Has anyone made a really well refined CRT emulator? I find they always look too forced, too harsh, and you can often see the 'edges' of the layers that the shaders are creating?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

I want to be that weirdo in 2024 who plans out original dot art on graph paper like it's 1982.

Post the roughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
dassalottatiles!