Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Update! I replaced a bunch of the head rotations to make it looks more natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
You are correct, but the palette is taken from a larger project so I felt I could be a little less tight.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

I really like your proportions between height levels vs tile area. Have you got more mockups from this project you want to share? Looks like a cool grid for doing a group piece.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

This is an often overlooked aspect of pixel art and I think a source of some nostalgia older gamers like myself (31. I think that counts as old?) The displays that we remember some of our favourite pixel art from are now obsolete, and when one tries to look at a much-loved piece on a modern display it often comes as a bit of a shock.

I've not encountered raster-type filters that didn't feel awkward or look distracting, but I'm wondering if a good filter exists. Perhaps a filter or post-process that doesn't blur the pixels like an old CRT, but applies some manner of colour blending to get a similar effect without coming across like a lovely blur filter?

Scut fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 27, 2013

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Make more portraits like this! Fresh.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looks interesting. Do you draw the room within that isometric perspective or is it a 3d model? Kinda hard to tell at such small scale.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

These are excellent! A surprising amount of depth for such a small palette and blocked-in colouring. I love the 'natural' poses.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Scrap raiders eager for some semi-conductor loot!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Try adding more shadow, anything that blocks the light source should cast a shadow (hair for example). Those eyes are also feel too strong. Unless that character is supposed to be shocked or thrilled etc, there are few expressions where both the top and bottom of the iris will be visible.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thanks, coming from you that means a lot!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
When I can team up with a programmer I guess.

Actually I've been mulling over how to make the game into a board game seeing as it's really hard to find reliable programmers for zero budget indie projects (assuming you want to see it finish), and I've also started to get really interested in the new wave of boardgames coming out.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nice palette, would you mind sharing it?

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Is Delver still ongoing?
Umm, maybe you're thinking of The Salvage? There are a couple indie games going under the name Delver with some nice pixel art but they are not projects I'm involved with.

Seashell Salesman posted:

What platform/s are you targeting and what sort of work do you want done?
Well other than making a physical boardgame, I was thinking a digital version would be well suited to ios and android because I wanted to keep the controls and rules very simple and tight. PC goes without saying as well.

The concept mostly exists as a bunch of notes, sketches and a couple mockups I've been working on in my spare time. The general idea came out of my dislike for JPRG battle systems but my enjoyment of some of their aesthetics. What I liked was the notion of abstracting a battlefield into a condensed space that allows for party management. What I want to throw out is the menu/numbers grind and replace it with an elegant tactical game that uses cards to dole out actions to units. The player has a hand of cards and must choose from that somewhat random draw the actions they will place onto the units at their disposal. Failed quality checks or other negative events can inject penalty cards into the player's hand which reduce the number of good options available and forces the player to improvise with undesirable options. I definitely want the spatial notion of a battlefield to take a part in the game mechanics so that play consists of more than just two lines of opponents hurling attacks at each other, so there will be some manner of grid or field sections that allow for advancement, retreat, cover and possibly flanking.

Below are mockup pages I've been tooling around with. Mostly to figure out layout proportions and brainstorm ideas on how cards look.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Same here. A friend was programming it when he had a job that allowed enough free time for a side project. He changed jobs and couldn't continue. Can't blame him at all, but I've still got all those assets itching to get used.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Exclamation Marx, I made a variation of your palette and subbed out the values in one of the scrap raiders. Looks nice!

Seashell Salesman, I sent you a PM.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
You are making big improvements! Good usage of shifting your shading colours slightly into blue, too.

On the walking sprites, forgive me if I'm misinterpreting but it appears as if there is a highlight on both knees mid-stride. If one leg is angling away from the viewer that should not happen. Or it's the fact that the highlight flashes on for one frame on both knees then disappears in the others.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

An in-progress tileset for an arena game commission. Making something look like molten metal or magma is a challenge but also really fun when you get it working.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The animation of the lava will likely come down to how far the client wants to take things with the budget. Most likely a post-effect to get a glowing throb will be implemented because the programmer can do that himself. My compromise will be to animate the topmost layer.

As for the banding, I agree and there will be a pass made to minimize those issues. I have a lot of ground to cover and those fiddly details I have to leave as low priority or else I risk running overbudget.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

This just popped up in my daily feeds:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Forgot to give this some love. These look pretty spot on for the era stereotype. Need a FUTURE SOLDIER? Get some motocross armour and an oversize helmet!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I love mockups!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Could you output it into an animated gif? It's a lot easier to decide what to alter when you see an animation in motion. Otherwise it looks like your proportions are well thought out. Nice little sprite that I could imagine doing a lot with.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bouncing slimes and wiggling hominids! Newbies and veterans please keep posting your creations!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Shoehead your pieces seem to be solidly progressing but I feel like the oversize hands don't lend towards a balanced silhouette. I think they would be easier to exaggerate in a higher resolution, but when you are working in so few pixels that small increase of scale can really throw off proportions.

And to contribute to the thread; a floaty platform and a laser trap.
I feel like I might revise the platform. It's supposed to have an energy field at the bottom but I think the overall feeling of weight is too high?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's a real improvement in my opinion. How do you feel about the change?

Here are a few more tweaks I would make:

I tried adjusting the hand ever so slightly to make it appear a little more canted towards the viewer, as well as introducing some shadow into the crook of the arm so that the pose appears more natural. I made a slight change to the foot to make it less puffy.

I know the black outline is a whole other element that you might not feel comfortable with messing with at this stage, but I wanted to illustrate how varying the darkness of that outline can give all sorts of methods for adding shadow and character to form without actually altering the outline.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

soapydishwater posted:

I think you can get rid of the bulkiness of the platforms by just cutting out the middle part and tacking the bottom back on, something like this-

Good idea!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Anyone got any tutorials for creating human sprites? I'm having difficulty getting a decent human body and any tutorials linked would be welcome.

What sort of scale did you have in mind? Something like a fighting game will be at a high enough resolution that just about any figure drawing guides will help, but as the scale gets smaller you tend to need to exaggerate proportions in odd ways.

I found Andrew Loomis' book 'Fun With a Pencil' has some excellent tutorials on caricature sketching where he breaks it down into a nice procedural system. The book now resides in the public domain so download it and try out his style!

http://illustrationage.com/2013/04/02/free-andrew-loomis-art-instruction-downloads/

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excellent tree with an excellent palette! Don't stress too much about stray pixels etc. I would say that in this case it's a stylistic variant that doesn't detract from the overall aesthetic.

I never thought about applying his head caricature techniques to pixels in such a direct manner but I think this looks great! Reminds me of something one might see in an Amiga game.
Add more volume to the hair, and take note that the eyes should be a bit lower on that sphere (pretty much at the equator) if you want more realistic proportions.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah widen the eyes and lower the ears a touch.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Those bottom two look improved to me! Goons? Opinions?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Data Shaman! Maybe it needs some manner of shaman staff.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
These feel so Amiga! Is this in development?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
CYOA would be really cool because the players would only have the limited view on which to base their moves. "Let's ford that river! Yeah!" *YOU ENCOUNTER A MACHINEGUN NEST ON THE OPPOSITE BANK*

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looks good! I'm loving all that light diffraction.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Today I laid down some experimental palettes to try laying over my greyscale sprites. I'm thinking of having a few different palettes to denote different game elements such as friendly, enemy, interactive and environment. Anyway for now I'm just trying to get something with more pop than a simple gradient.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Heavy Lobster posted:

Did a little 16x16 tree for work but it just came out... kind of generic?

Any advice on how to make it more interesting? I couldn't really make as many branches/distinct segments of tree with the size, and the trunk just kind of ended up being noise more than any real texture.

I did some edits to your colour ramp to bring in a bit more range, swapped the black for a very dark purple. Most of the form edits were trying to bring some hierarchy into the crown by making the parts closer to the viewer brighter and darkening the areas that recede. Also edited the highlights with a light source in the upper left in mind.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
:krad:

What program do you draw with? Most tools I use are really tedious to draw repetitive straight lines like that. Especially at angles.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
One thing to keep in mind with pixel art is whether or not the element you are creating is for a game or for a piece of standalone art. In a game, the player often has a lot less time to gaze at every pretty detail, and so you need to prioritize elements based on what relevance they have to gameplay. A really rich, detailed sky might look amazing in a screenshot but it could wind up distracting the player needlessly.

This isn't to say to make a sky boring on purpose, just that context is important.

edit: Forgot to give these animations some love

Scut fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
There is a lot to be said for trying out palettes from other sources. Be they from games you like, old microcomputers and consoles, or other pixel artists who use palettes you find interesting. I've found that using the palette of someone more skilled than me was an excellent way to understand their thought process better. By using the same colours yourself you see how they mix and interact in unique ways, and it makes for a lot concrete "a ha!" moments as you see the relation between colour theory and actual practice.

Doing some image searches for 'pixel palettes' or '16 bit palettes' is a great place to start.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Malmo?

The water and sky details are so rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat