Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCF
Nov 8, 2000

Internet Janitor posted:

Went over the tileset again, reorganized things and reduced the palette by one color. I gave the room tiles a more detailed, technical look which I think better suggests a sci-fi setting. The HUD shows the second squaddie selected. I'm not totally pleased with the HUD- I think the hearts and energy containers look too visually busy and will be difficult to interpret at a glance. Thoughts?

Would it be easier to read if you made the empty containers hollow like this? I also thought making the whole background for the selected character yellow would look better, but then realized that it also means there'd be no difference between a filled and hollow energy container :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCF
Nov 8, 2000

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the advice! Kind of motivated me to go back to animating for the time being. Here's an edit along with two new animations; bow and shield defending. I'll confess the shield one is pretty bad at the moment. For the bow, i tried planting the feet like archers usually do, but it looks like he's shuffling rather than doing that...

Hey, I don't know if it's an accident because you put a couple different animations in one .gif, but the timing looks weird to me. The longer frames don't really match the action.

Also, I think the swing might look more impactful if you take out the middle frame:

Oh, and for everyone's amusement, here's a walking cycle I found that I made 15 years ago. It's pretty slick.