Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I personally really like mtpaint and it's available for Windows and Linux. It has built in patterns and patterns specifically for dithering.

I'm kind of a beginner, and I'm really only getting into it because of well, "programmer art" for a homebrew Sega Genesis game I'm working on. Nothing exciting, just a tetris clone. You're basically limited to 15 colors for sprites, or it can be upped to 16 colors on the background layers if you don't need transparency (I think).

A tetris background:

edit: one notable thing about this is it's optimized to be trimmed down into a minimal number of tiles to save video RAM (the Sega doesn't have a ton of it).

powerofrecall fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Internet Janitor posted:

powerofrecall: Nice. Looks like... 90 unique tiles?

If you actually eyeballed that I'm impressed! I can't check it right now but Mappy's tile map culling seemed like it was fewer than that. I'll check again sometime though.

I actually stole that 8x8 font. You're right, at 1x size it looks kind of crappy. It does seem to look better on a CRT than on an LCD monitor though, but I do have to keep in mind that more people will probably play it on an emulator. You got any ideas about color to make it pop a little more?

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

punchdaily posted:

I like working within the Gameboy palate because it stops me from going apeshit on the sprites.

Are these actually within gameboy specs? If so they look pretty great

edit: aseprite looks pretty good too; how about adding this and mtpaint and other suggestions to the OP?

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
mtPaint is a lot like MS Paint, but with a couple of features that make it a cut above. It's focused on pixel art and as such has various pattern brushes to help with things like dithering and shading. It also has a much more in-depth palette editor and palette management, and things like the ability to create gradients between an arbitrary number of palette entries. If you need it, it also has many options to dither down a high-color image to any palette size and it does generally a good job with the right options. It also has basic layering. As far as cons, the layering is weird to use and you'll have to read up on it and not everything you can do in mtPaint is 100% instinctive.