Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Hello! Figured I'd try spriting a character of mine. I was never good at this but here we go. Also I don't have a clue on how to animate >_>

Here's a sketch of him/her if anyone's interested.

edit.
Jumping and stuff! It's starting to look ok :O

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

neonnoodle posted:

Oh man that's hella cute! In the animation department: you can improve your walks and runs dramatically if you have more of a "down" position. When walking or running, the foot hits the ground and then the knee bends as the weight transfers. You've got the "up" position in there in the run cycle (and a tiny one in the walk), where the foot pushes up and off, but if you balance it out with a down position, it'll have more suggestion of weight and springiness. In the book The Animator's Survival Kit, it shows how the head of someone walking/running makes kind of a sine wave, so it passes first below, then above the starting position with each stride.
Cheers for the feedback. Yeah, that's the book I'm trying to learn from. Is this better? The walking one will probably be a wading-through-water-and-poop-thing since it kinda looks like he/she's having trouble getting forward :P
old > new >

I tried adding another frame but that screwed up the entire thing and lowering the down position even more made the whole thing look jagged. drat them pesky pixels and everyone one of them having to make such a difference :argh:

Oh, did a quick-climb thingie as well!

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 9, 2013

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

Woah this is soooooo nice! Have you got a blog for this stuff?
Thanks, man. Too lazy to start a blog >_>

If anyone knows any good bear anatomy sites/books/whatever, please tell. My bear looks like a fricking warthog :/

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Figured I'd try making a platformer and was reminded how much I dislike programming. Oh well, here's an early test for the main character. I'll spice it up eventually after I've learned how to make freaking gravity with numbers and letters:

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Trying to make something something.. it's pretty barren still and the lines all over the place are temporary until I figure out something to do with it.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Shoehead posted:

drat that is already gorgeous
Haha cheers, I'm having a hard time getting it as I want in my head though >_<

Here's an update. The building isn't fully rendered yet.

ninja-edit
Added truck.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 28, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Besesoth posted:

If you can, you might want to emphasize the ampersand-ness of the &; I read it as "BARBCAR" for a bit before I figured it out. Otherwise, I love this aesthetic. You're doing a great job of making a couple pixels do the talking. And the burned-out A is great!

I also really like how tall the image is compared to the detail.Is this for a phone game?
Cheers for the feedback. How's this? Went for a more contemporary approach on the gas station since that's when the theme is set for it. Also realized I
did the whole thing for 32x32 characters instead of 48x48 as before so that sucks >_<

Also, it's for PC. The size is due to the map being like that later. The title screen will be in the sky and the view will scroll down to the ground level when starting a new game.

edit
Walking and idle testing.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 29, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

SupSuper posted:

Yeah you want something like this:

Doh, my brain must've missed that. Is this better?

Also, running-animation.. not quite content with this.. added the other ones because everybody loves animated fishes everywhere!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

This is pot calling kettle black but I feel like your palette favours dark tones with values that are too similar. I love the colours you have chosen I just feel like they need a bit more separation in value. If you look at the truck in your mockup it has a broader range from light to dark.

double edit: I'm thinking these guys are just rough placeholders and you were going to revamp the palettes for them anyway.
Yeah, I'm not even sure what style to go for with the characters yet. Thanks for the tips though :)

Here's the latest iteration.

Here's the concept for the guy btw, if anyone's interested.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Does this walk cycle portray a "Hey, this ain't so bad afterall.. this is.. really nice! Woop! Here we go!" -moment?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Really cool stuff, man! Would buy that sausage game!

Still tampering around with forests. Can't get it right quite yet and will probably redo the whole thing a couple of times before I'm content. For now, foreground trees or not?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Cicadas! posted:

If you mean the skinny long ones, nah. The way they extend past the bottom of the playable screen makes it look like they're growing out of a canyon. The bushy conifer looking ones should stay though, they're real nice.
What exactly are you not happy with, in this forest? I'm not seeing anything out-and-out wrong with it.
Cheers for the feedback. I'm not sure yet but something feels off and sort of bland right now. Making pretty graphics is hard! >_<

edit (because I've spammed this thread too much)

Scut posted:

I think your art looks good but mostly needs an adjustment for hierarchy. The character is at a lower saturation and contrast than the plane he walks on, so the eye keeps bounding from the foreground to background looking for a place to land.
Made a quick edit (since I'm not entirely done with the sprite design yet). How's this?

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 19, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Hmm, so is it just the character or the whole "walking layer" that's messing things up?
I know this might go the opposite direction of the general design with interactive objects vs backgrounds but I'd like the characters to blend in with the layer on where they walking so maybe fooling around with the contrast on the background layer might do the trick?

Or is it just hard for the eyes gameplay-wise not to have the characters/interactive objects pop more than the rest?

edit
This is what I had in mind, kind of;

background > low contrast, less saturated
middle > mid-high (depending on light sources) contrast, mid-high (depending on light sources) saturation
foreground > high contrast (generally darker), mid-high saturation

and then have the player jump between these layers (with the middle one being the main layer on where the players traverse) when there's an area with places to visit in the back/fore-ground, switching the contrast/saturation of the player sprite depending on which layer he/she is at.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 19, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Red Mike posted:

Right now, the foreground is fine because it's very dark which stands out from the character distinctly. I'd recommend trying to increase the lightness of the background slightly, and lowering the saturation a bit more.
How's this?

Another huge gif because pretty moving grass and cool skill system is in!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Making some final sprites finally!

Edit
From left to right; Tony Tuna - salesman and inventor extraordinaire, Coroner Crabs (get it?) and Hoki the Hobo (will be blue) - Think that psychologist from Twin Peaks mixed with the Dude, digging through trash at a gas station in the Woods.

VVV Google showed me anime and japaneese space opera music. Is that Good or bad?

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
It's probably a matter of taste and workflow. Personally I'm pretty content with Asesprite for the kinds of animations I'm currently making. I bought Spriter a while ago and it works pretty well animating things made of pieces that move and rotate instead of drawing everything by hand.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

Hey thread I still push pixels. Y'all been posting some gold.

Solid stuff, man!

Here's some crappy sprites;

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Found an old concept I did for an imaginary game (I think) on a photobucket I had like.. 2009 or something. It's cool to see I've barely got better since then haha. Sorry for the lovely quality on the enviros; guess I didn't know you shouldn't save pixels in lovely jpeg-format.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Very much WIP. Hey, at least the roof is turning out ok so far.. and a concept sketch of how it kind of will look like.

edit

Butt Savage posted:

Aside from this looking like a cool game, these shots make awesome smartphone wallpapers. Keep'em coming!
Cheers :) Haha, I need to figure out a way to turn that into an amazing marketing move!

Update (obviously with the wrong background but whatever) mockup;

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 14, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

Looking great! I like those rich blue shadows. I feel that your characters fight for dominance with the mid-ground where you have similar levels of contrast but also things like outlines that make the eye feel as though the bushes might be more important than the sprites.
Cheers! Is this better?

As for the contrast part, I'm still waiting with that one until I dabbled with it in the game. I want players to be able to interact with lots of the stuff (like jumping on bushes and trying to figure out a way up to the roof etc.) so I want to keep most of that on the same "layer" as the characters and hopefully, the gameplay of it won't kill the eyes too much.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
The nightmare of every policeman out there!

Frustrated over not coming up with the building design my mind tells me to make >_<

And bonus Orca Cola machine with Whale.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
It's a bear and he's.. uh.. dancing to some heavy hip hop music, I guess?

edit
Snot-bubble or no snot-bubble? Maybe have both and randomize? Choices >_<

double edit
Bear waking up. Christmas food does wonders with creativity!

vvv
Cheers! Love the way you use colors :)

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 24, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
No platformer is a platformer without stupid-looking caves!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Drawing caves sucks!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Started sketching out some pixel versions of this here fellow. It's still waaay off from how it looks in my mind though but at least I'm making some progress >_>

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Second iteration (left), still not content with it. Pixels' hard business >_<

Also, I do not know how bears run so here's a bear being a.. gazelle..?

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 27, 2016

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Waaay too pretentious with the graphics for my project.. only the whole truck left to do :effort:

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

I love your art so please finish that truck.
Thanks and done! Now for finishing up the building >_<

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Been redoing some tilesets.. still got a ton of filler tiles to add so it looks more natural, but it's getting there!

Here's the old ground for comparison;

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Old Man Mozz posted:

that's seriously great - how many filler tiles are you using to make it looks so natural?
Thanks, well uh, there's no fillers in the screen so the ground repeats itself without any variation right now :)

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

McKilligan posted:

There's no Thanksgiving in Korea, so I won't be thrown in jail for getting seasonal!

Crazy nice stuff there, man!

Working on something zelda-inspired. Trees are not fully textured yet. Now to animate it >_<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
My zelda-inspired thing is also a pokemon-inspired thing!

Scut posted:

Adorable snouts.
Cheers. They are fatal during the second stage because the size disables the monster so it dies of starvation.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 16, 2019