Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a boxing teahorse
May 17, 2010

.TakaM posted:

Thanks, contrast is something I think I might be having problems with now that I'm on a laptop, it's hard to always have the screen at the right angle. But at the same time this is a background object and I tend to give them less contrast than the rest of the environment.
You could also just hue-shift the more extreme shades of green, but I don't know if that would stick out too much. Also the original color you had for the lightest shade seemed a little over-saturated compared to the tree bark. My color choice isn't the greatest because it makes some of the details look weird, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at.

Also I'm going to throw in and say that the tree bark is really lovely looking. I'm not quite sure what the swirly bit on that middle root is supposed to be, but I kinda like it anyway.

I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm no good at pixel art, but I always thought the nuances of its limitations are really neat and I always love seeing really awesome stuff crop up.

a boxing teahorse fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a boxing teahorse
May 17, 2010

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Or maybe I'm crazy? :P
The way you're doing an extreme hue-shift on the darkest shade without really any other palette/shading/detail adjustments to compensate doesn't really work on its own. I also doubt he's going to go nuts and hue-shift everything when the bark really looks fine on its own, considering it's a background object. I doubt it'll match his other assets either.

Again, though, messing around with subtle hue-shifting on the darkest and lightest bits of the leaves is a really neat way to show that they're catching sunlight and to show depth/create contrast. That only goes so far, though, since it's a very stylized tree where the leaves register as more of a single, shaped mass than thousands of individuals.

Edit: Plus, looking at an actual color wheel, it would be a much smoother shift to bring the darker brown to reddish-purplish. Sliding it all the way to blue doesn't make a whole let of sense.

Edit edit: Here's a GIF of my take at some minor changes. Up to you to decide whether it fits the style/looks better or not.

a boxing teahorse fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 10, 2012