Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I do pixel art sometimes. I don't really practise enough to be much good at it, I kinda only do it around once or twice a month, mostly because I'm pretty bad at thinking of things to make with such a small amount of space. I probably should practise more often though.

I like to do top-down shooter style sprites, I keep them on a single big image, and because of that whenever I want to do a new one I will tweak a lot of the others a little too, so the image is kind of a mishmash of different colour and shading techniques.

I also did a few portraits using some of the tabletop stuff I had lying around as reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Kazerad posted:

Would anyone here with experience choosing palettes for retro games be willing to throw me some ideas, or examples of existing, sunset-like palettes close to what I'm looking for? I'm a huge fan of the simple, almost iconic many old games use but have no idea where to start in choosing my own.

I am by no means an expert, but I thought I'd give it a go and I came up with this:

It's 15 colours in total, mostly reds and purples since it's supposed to be sunset, with a little green to contrast.
Here's an example of what it might look like in your scene:

Bear in mind I was a little bit overzealous with the fill bucket and for some reason photoshop says there are supposed to be 26 colours in the image (I've looked and I haven't found these extra 11 colours) so it's probably worth playing around with them a bit more, see what works.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Kazerad posted:

Disproportionation, if you're still looking at this thread: do you have a website or something? I'm about to finish up a project and want to credit you with a name/link for the palette help, but I can't find any website or contact info related to you.

Not at the moment, though I'm looking to have one up by the end of the month. It's not much of a big deal though, I'm just happy to help.

Content:
I should really do pixel art more than once in a blue moon, I got a lot of free time though now (touch wood) so I'm gonna try and actually use some of this stuff in a project, since I need to learn unity anyway.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Tried making bigger, more detailed versions of the body types i did earlier (Currently missing thin-tallish pink one).

I kind of feel that my lack of understanding the human body and it's shape shows.

It kinda looks like their torsos are pointing straight ahead while their heads and legs are off to the side. That might be the problem.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I haven't really grappled with tilesets much, so I thought I'd try doing a simple grass tile; eliminating the "grid effect" completely is pretty difficult!

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Cheers for the tips, guys! I was actually considering toning down the detail; I'm aiming for more of a top down shooter look, so a scaled back look might be more appropriate considering the foreground is supposed to be pretty high up altitude-wise.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

That is significantly better. You could probably cut more frames at the end even to give it a more weighty thud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Remember to consider how you transition frames could effect how "tight" the controls would feel in a game, if that's what you're making these for. You don't want a noticeable delay between input and action - that's why a lot of jumping animations in platformers don't have windup frames, for example.