Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pixel art? Don't mind if I do. Most of these are old, way before I learn that Graphics Gale existed.

I never did finish this, but this took like a week in PS. I literally drew every line, instead of ya know copy pasting a tile.

(prototype, yeah when I first started pixel art.. really bad at it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wait are you the one who did Fetch Quest? Dude your stuff is hellla awesome. Really like the animation style you have.

I will admit, my run cycle is basically from references from the Scott Pilgrim game and Megaman X's running cycle. I forgot the Scott Pilgrim's sprite artist name, but his animations have a sort of "bounce" to them if you made call it that.

And yeah the not shading was intentional I was going for an NES retro style look. Still haven't' figure out if I should go all the way with it on my game though that I'm working on.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/newghostbusters2/sheet/27451

You mean this one? I am pretty sure he means this game. But yeah it's a good inspiration because the small touches on the sprites shape gives it character and they are simple good designs.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm assuming the person is going at a pretty fast pace is how it's suppose to be? If so, it looks great. Although yeah staring at his legs did get a little jarring.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Zackarotto posted:

Hmm, I've heard of that book before. Guess I'll have to pick it up.

Yeah you really should. That book is an essential guide to animating. I've had that book for nearly 2 years and it helped me immensely in terms of getting an idea how to timing, in betweens, anticipation, etc.

It is also how I manage to start doing little sprite animations because most of the basic animations like walking/running/jumping can be done in sprite form. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seeing as I was a bit bored today, decided to have some fun.

This was a rough work in progress, I wanted to get the flat colors done.

Almost done.

This is Bad Box Art Megaman which was in Street Fighter x Tekken.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Doesn't have to be artsy. I really like the layout design. Nothing too distracting, pleasant on the eyes. You'd be surprised most games have pretty poo poo UI menus.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
loving awesome man. If there is one common misconception with coloring, people think it's a complicated process but it's really, not and your sprite shows a perfect example of how to use a limited palette.

I should start working on my game again at least...

God I'm one lazy rear end pixel artist.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

JellyLOL posted:

Is there some reason most people use such tiny sprites instead of something like bigger like a fighting game (SF3, Guilty Gear, etc)? More trouble than it's worth?

That depends on the space. Most fighting games have bigger spaces and dimensions to work with. Games like FF or platformers really dont' benefit with huge sprites at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There is a reason why games like Street Fighter 3rd Strike or KOF take a long time to come out. Sprite animation takes a loooooong time to do.

Hell that walk cycle I did took about half a day or two. And that's a small sprite.

Also to add, yeah making big pixel characters is not really a benefit at all when doing platformers. Too much labor for a platformer. You might call me lazy but I'm the artist who does the animation and the level design.

And size does have a factor. You have more rules to follow once you have bigger sprites, like the stance, the animation, etc. Small sprites do have rules but it's a smaller list compared to huge sprites.

I enjoy doing pixel art because it's a good test limit on what you can as an artist. A limited color palette and restrictions make this a really fun and exciting thing to do as an artist/animator. I don't necessarily do it for the "retro" design but I do enjoy the chiptunes more than anything.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 4, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah don't do that. A bit of artifact is happening on your really kick rear end pics. Save them as PNGs!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pixel art is pretty hard considering there is alot of rules. But boy is the payoff feels awesome. And not literally a "pay". More so of the satisfaction you finally finished that goddamn thing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Looks good to me chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

My little submission for that thread that was linked. Oh man if I only knew sooner. I kind of been in a rut with art these few months.