Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Haud posted:

Thanks for this thread and tutorials! I've finally gotten up the gall to make my own game (something I've always wanted to do and finally have the programming proficiency to make happen), and the big hurdle for me is going to be the art.

This may seem like a stupid, basic question, but what is a good resolution to use for this kind of thing? One video I watched had a guy develop a sprite at 512x512 and then scale it down to 32x32 when he was done, but the second link you posted said to go as small as possible. So let's say I am creating the hero, should he be 32x32?

Awesome that you're creating your own game! I've been doing it for about eight years now and while I'm not necessarily the best at programming nor pixel art, it's something I quite enjoy. Playing the finished product always puts a smile on my face. :)

This was a scene I did as production for a game I made back in 2009. It doesn't hold a candle to my new work, but it's all I can conjure up at the moment. I'll see what new stuff I'm happy enough with to post later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Screenshots from the sequel to my first game, Larry Goose's Tank and Warfare. I like everything in them except for the tank (note how it's totally top-down as opposed to the 3/4 view of everything else), but I like the tank sprite on its own. I suppose it could really use some dimension to it though - it looks awfully flat even with the shading. Any pointers to help it out?

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 1, 2012

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

fine :colbert:

In addition to Rapt0rCharles's post, be mindful of the saturation in your colours. The blue carpet especially is eye-burning. In the sprite you're using a heap of colours, and "straight" colour ramps (i.e. shifting in value rather than saturation and hue). Read this for a better description (hue shifting at the bottom).

Some mostly-mirrored portraits using Dawnbringer's 16 colour palette:

Oh man those would be perfect mugshots for a character select screen or something.

"Clowns and Cowboys and Maybe Businessmen, Too"

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So I'm starting a new game and I decided to sprite the main character. This is the first black outlined sprite I've done (I prefer using coloured). I really like the shape of my sprite but I'm not sure on the shading. What does anyone think of it?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I need a bit of help working out the perspective and lighting/shading on this:

It's for a title screen so I want it to look as good as possible using the colours I limited myself to. The left arm looks wonky to me, like it's too long or something. Something seems off. Can anybody help me or show me what I'm doing wrong?

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 21, 2013

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Did a bit of pose rework. Trying to do shading and figuring up how to cover up the fact that he doesn't...really have legs. Thanks soapydishwater, is this an improvement?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I come now seeking to improve this sprite of an orb and really make it shine. Again using limited colours, and will be resizing/modifying this sprite in three different sizes and colours once complete for the title screen:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Well, right now you're getting across the translucence but it's not really round-looking - it looks more like a flat gem than an orb. You kind of want to combine those two properties like so:

I'm kind of bullshitting the highlights here but you get the idea. It might also benefit from having the darkest shade for the outline instead of black, but I left it since that might be a stylistic thing.

Hey, thanks! I fixed my sprite and did a bit of extra shading for effect:

Yeah, the black outline is a stylistic thing.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Going back and renewing some sprites from my game. I turned the top into the bottom to try and give it more character:

It still feels weird to me, like he's leaning or there isn't enough light. Is there something that could be missing?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

That is going to look pretty sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I believe that's what the kids refer to as "aesthetic". Well done!