Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Aww snap, I hate pixel art.
The Shadow of the Katamari is by Snake, who's working on an indie game called Owlboy now.
The 4 color spartan is by Helm, who's an admin of Pixelation. He's mostly been making political cartoons for Greek papers/magazines for the past couple years, but is currently on vacation.

Some stuff of my own:

Here's a WIP version of the game the ghoul is from (controls are Z, X, and the arrow keys):
[link]
I abandoned it because it's not very fun, but I think the art I made for it is pretty good :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Nah, you can only ever work in the same resolution as the underlay; he wants separate resolutions each layer (I personally don't think it's that useful unless your resizing is removing really thin lines that you want to be able to see?)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Plank posted:

I'd love for my sprites to end up looking like this:

To note for other people's benefit: Those two sprites are by Nathan Christie.

Your own sprite doesn't have a strong sense of perspective at all, and the head is really unclear-- it's narrower at the cheeks and the eyebrows look more like eyes than the actual eyes do. Here's an edit that doesn't do much to fix the perspective issue: http://i.imgur.com/HCh50.png But who needs perspective when you can just rub baby oil on a dude's head?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

stegoceras posted:

I literally just started making pixel art, trying to find a good program on the mac for animating. I've got aseprite but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out because I'm computer illiterate.
I made these in Photoshop, just to try it out... I'm not super happy with them. I'd love to try making a game one day.

...now that I'm looking at these alongside everyone else's they're embarrassingly bad. :sweatdrop:

Needs higher contrast. Don't work on a white (or black) background! It messes up your color choices. It helps to use a program that lets you change the palette on the fly-- Photoshop is pretty horrendous for pixel art due to how you can't adjust colors easily outside of filters.

Your pieces are nice for someone new to the medium though, and the grey girl is obviously the newer of the two since it corrects most of the problems the red girl has :v:

Here's an edit of the red one to show better contrast:
http://i.imgur.com/hSWvO.gif
The changes to the mesh top itself are largely inconsequential and done out of hatred for geometric line patterns in pixel art.

I'm not even sure if I should be making unrequested edits for people here :downs:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

barge posted:

What programs do people use for animation? I tried a few of the ones in the OP and they really blew! I've been using paint.net for pixel stuff and I really like it but it it pretty lousy at making animated gifs.

GraphigsGale is good for animation, but it's like one of two features that's limited in the trial version.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Shoehead posted:

uggghhh brain...

I..kinda see it?

The leg in this animation moves an inconsistent amount per frame; when in contact with the ground, the foot should move back a set amount of pixels per frame.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Digital Fingers posted:

This one has more dithering and five colors, not counting black and white and is totally ~OC DO NOT STEAL~. I'm pretty surprised I made something that's not poo poo:

Screwbot is screwing your forum background and there's nothing you can do about it.

The hole in the ground should not move, and dithering is not good for metallics as a general rule of thumb. The colors are strange, but colors are probably the easiest thing to get better at just by experimenting on your own, as long as you can change them quickly.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Scut posted:

Data Shaman! Maybe it needs some manner of shaman staff.

Are those eyes or robot nipples?

Also, I think it'd look better if the lightsource was above the robot instead of above the viewer. Pretty much the only thing that would need to be changed is to make the hood lighting gradiate less as it goes up

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The animation is improving but think about feet and how they move, man. Even in this latest one the feet move randomly a lot; one or both of your legs has pressure placed on them under normal conditions, legs with pressure on them don't move. As long as you have both legs moving at once and he's not jumping, running, or falling over, it will look all wrong.

Here's some example images:

Red indicates both feet move in that frame, blue indicates a stationary foot, green indicates a singular moving foot or both feet being airborne. I cheated and kept 1 bad (red) frame in mine so I didn't have to significantly redraw anything, but ideally you'd have 0 frames where feet slide.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Do you have a non-jpeg version?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Travis343 posted:

I'm not a fan of the bigger pupils. Theyre a bit too anime for what I'm going for. Im working on something kind of like this, losing the eye outline and adding an eyebrow, smaller white area with the pupils lowered a bit.

The right image is the original for comparison. A step in the right direction?

I think your edit has a lot less character. Generally having the whites of the eyes visible with no boundary between them and light skin looks really bad. If you want a less anime eyestyle I'd go for something more like this:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Hahaha. The pain train of animation advice barreling across forum borders!

Here's a pretty :effort: set of animations from me:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I use Graphics Gale for most pixel art related stuff, and I highly recommend it. It's a great combination of being easy to use while also giving you the kinds of tools you want for pixel art. It's not as powerful as something like Photoshop or Gimp, but the tradeoffs are MORE than worth it just for the ability to very quickly and easily animate a small sprite then export it to a sheet.

Honestly GraphicsGale is more powerful than Photoshop for like 99% of pixel art related things. Cosmigo Pro Motion is even better but the interface for that is depraved.
The only thing I can think of that photoshop has that GG doesn't is Dan Fessler's index painting tool: http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

a hole-y ghost posted:

Well, and it's not just because of that. The art direction in the game is kinda inconsistent in just about every way, from what I've seen in gameplay videos.

There are some really nice art assets to be sure (I love the jester guy sprite, especially its animation), but it feels like they're all from different games.

It reminds me of people who get overly caught up in details when drawing, making a 40 hour life drawing and ending up with every part that they focus on being really well drawn (nose, eyes, arm muscles, etc) but with no regard to each part's consistency with the overall picture.

Yeah, dude is technically skilled but he doesn't seem to have the right eye for game art. The splash screen at the top could have had a third of the time spent on it and it would barely look any different, and consistency rules all unless you have a really good reason for breaking it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sistergodiva posted:

I am quite artistically challenged, but I was wondering how people do stuff like this:

I mean the whole backdrop. Is there any good ways to save time or is a gruesome pixel per pixel affair with every single new screen?

In addition to what others said, your example is most likely made with DPaint, which is how it has so many really really uniform dithering gradients. Dan Fessler's index painting tool is pretty much a better way of doing the same thing: http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

We can only have one person drawing fat people on these forums at a time!! Trying to pull a fast one, huh!?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

mutata posted:

I have a 19" Yiynova screen tablet (cintiq style) and it was $600 and it works well enough.

The MSP19U (especially newer models) are really good for the price. I've only heard bad things about the rest of Yiynova's line up.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The method of making the segments be in descending order of pixel count (e.g. that circle would be 4-3-2-1-1-1-2-3-4) creates a less jagged appearance but is mathematically further from a perfect circle than what the circle tool creates.
I would recommend to defaulting to the more aesthetically pleasing one, because neither is a perfect circle and they're both close enough that the difference doesn't matter in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ash Crimson posted:

Graphicsgale

GraphicsGale has everything you need but it also starts with no keyboard shortcuts bound IIRC which might be a pain in the rear end if you're trying to teach a class.