Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scut posted:

An in-progress tileset for an arena game commission. Making something look like molten metal or magma is a challenge but also really fun when you get it working.

Reflected light on the bottom of the platform is cool, but you've got a bit of banding going on, and I'm not sure how well the lava would work in context. If you're planning to animate it, you're going to have trouble with that much overdetailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shoehead posted:

:shobon:

Now to end this derail, have some Owls (well its all the one owl)

I'm a little confused as to where the light source is supposed to be coming from. The belly in particular is pretty banded, which doesn't really give much information about the shape of an object.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BashfulBanana posted:

I figured out getting isometric art to work on a basic 2d grid (specifically roll20) and I'm working on putting together art for an rpg module to play on it. The plan is for there to be combat in a tavern and a dungeon so that's what I'll be making more art for. I'm actually looking for any artists who'd be interested in helping.

Have you checked OGA for resources?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tystatic posted:

Slow progression on my fisher-vania, Asian Carp FTW. For the amateur game designers and developers here, Scirra just released tilemap support for Construct 2, which is going to save a poo poo toooon of time. Great program for prototyping.

That's some pretty pixel art. I really like your palette.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks pretty good. Only question I have is how easy it is to determine which stuff is interactable with the snail, but animation might help with that.

By the way, chaos engine, how's that battle network-like thing going?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Okay, I want to see this as a real game now.

Fighting against the evil SPC foundation?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That crazy uncle looks a bit Whomp-ish.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sorry, but the arm (and in particular, the axe) really blends in - the busy surface and lack of contrast makes it pretty hard to see.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 15, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Onion Knight posted:

Just to build off this - the primary reason everyone uses these stylized, hyper-exaggerated forms is because when you only have a few pixels to throw around, that's the only way you'll get anything to read as what it's supposed to be, especially in animation.

That sort of compromise is why Mario has a moustache and overalls.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dude isn't putting his best foot forward on this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Weird. It's really odd that they'd go with something that's intended for animation (and looks kinda sucky outside it), and then talk about how people only look at the pictures.

I dunno, I'm not sure how much need there is for another pixel art tutorial, but I wish him the best of luck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait he's not wearing suspenders?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Firefox doesn't, and the devs think pixel art is stupid so they aren't willing to make it configurable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://www.mspaintxp.com/

Despite the URL, also lets you get paint 95, which is slightly different. You can use + and - to resize the eraser and paintbrush beyond normal limits, and the dropper tool doesn't go away after using it, so you can get three colors (left click, right click, control+click) without reselecting it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You should resize it without blurring the pixels.

If you're using photoshop, this tutorial shows how.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Do some oil painting.

It sounds fancy and hard but oil painting is easy as gently caress.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the chaos engine posted:

Haven't hosed with pixels in a long time, got super into GBjam

I'll add keyboard controls later, already getting RAWRGH MOUSE ISNT GAME BOY comments. I just think it's nicer to play (plus makes mobile porting easier for me)

SIDE NOTE: Thread you've been p awesome lately! Keep it up <3

You could conceivably plug it in to the Super Game Boy, then use the SNES mouse with it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

Yeah, grats Chipp on doing life drawing!

I disagree with the poster who said not to draw people. Drawing things is good too, but I personally find people way more enjoyable to draw, even if it's much harder. Do both, but don't stop going to lifedrawing classes!

I took a lifedrawing class, and on the first lesson, there was a guy drawing at the level of stuff you just posted. After like two months, we had our stuff on display at art walk, and someone offered him $80 for one of his 45-minute drawings

Probably looking at your lifedrawings can show you why you've been struggling so hard on those pixel dudes all this time. Once you get good at this your pixel stuff will improve a shitload by default

Yeah, I took an oil painting course in undergrad. Didn't touch any pixel art during the entire period, but when I came back to my old stuff there were a lot of things I could instantly improve.

It's like a cheat code really, you get more levels without practicing your pixel art at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

diarmuidqq posted:

Oh nice, I remember Worm. I don't think I ever finished it, should I?

It peaked at the leviathan arc and then got dumber and dumber as it went along.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just a reminder: if you want premade assets Open Game Art has been commissioning a lot of tilesets, spritesheets, et cetera so people can have free-to-use assets for games. It's all almost all CC-BY licensed (ie: use for whatever, but put my name in the credits), which is great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Site is hard to navigate, I admit. You might want to look at the LPC-compatible set, since those are all stylistically linked.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Maybe I should just use pre-made assets (that site is pretty good Tunicate) for demos and give up on this whole drawing pixels thing entirely. It just pains me that I'll never be able to do something by my own that isn't an eye sore. That's life I guess.

Well, you can start to ease into it by tweaking premade assets. Basically start getting a feel for pixel clustering by looking at other sprites in the same style that get the same effect, copy-paste bits together and frankenstein a new sprite or tile. Read up on theory, and

Waifu2x does a great job of upscaling pixel art, which includes the interesting side-effect that bad sections of your pixel art get upscaled to look worse, and good sections get upscaled to look good. It's a nice way to automate getting a second pair of eyes.

Also, you want a REAL shortcut to being decent at pixel art? Take up oil painting for three or four months, try to copy photos or paint a little toy animal or two. Oil painting seems super upscale and refined but really it's super easy to do, and the skills are super transferable. Do two paintings a month, even if they don't look that good, and you'll be well on your way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vermain posted:

This isn't to discourage either you or Zaphod, by any means, but just to realistically say that any sort of art requires a lot of serious, dedicated effort to get good results.

That said, you can get good oil painting results in a matter of days or weeks provided you're willing to cut a lot of corners and spend an hour or so a day working on it.

Of course those "good results" will come from copying a master's painting or a cool photo you took rather than doing a life study or something original. There's a reason master studies are traditional, and that's because it's easy mode to getting something you can hang on a wall - the medium is super forgiving, so when you inevitably screw up you can recover pretty easily, and you know exactly what it should look like, so you never get stuck. Go monochrome at first if you want to be artsier, and more importantly, if you don't want to pay for a bunch of different tubes of paint.

Once you're familiar with the medium you can and should branch out from that, but painting something pretty early on is a big confidence booster. And the copying process itself forces you to pay attention to lighting, perspective, and fine detail, and get a feel for them so when you start messing around with boxes or figures or whatever, you've already painted the whole thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

So I've not done any drawing since I left art school back in 2013 to go into computer science, and the only art I've done have been a handful of vector pieces. I was hoping to get back into art through pixel art, as it's always fascinated me and it would be incredibly helpful as somebody interested in game development to be able to make my own art. Since the best approach is tons of practice, I'm hoping to do at least one, preferably many, sprites a day, and maybe the occasional animation, for at least the next year starting March 1st. Would it be okay to post those every week or so in this thread, or would that get too spammy?

:justpost:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scut posted:

If you mean trying draw pixel art at high res and then reducing resolution, that is a bad idea because dropping resolution means losing information and therefore throwing out work you have invested into a piece.

Yeah, it's pixel art because pixel-level detail is important.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samuelthebold posted:

Thanks for the advice!

Here's another mock-up I made:

This is Aramis Italic with bolding, with the II slightly enlarged and with a nightcap-like taper on the d's and the h clumsily edited off by yours truly. I think the T and the L could also stand to rise another pixel or two. Anyway, with this one, I always had enough room to put in shading, which I did. After many failed experiments with many other fonts and methods, this is the only mock-up that maybe beats the one I put in my previous post.

For space-efficiency reasons, it would be nice to stick with lowercase. Now, I'm on the lookout for a font that has the same proportional advantages as this one, but is a little straighter without being too boring. Any ideas on that would be very welcome. Maybe I should post in the font thread?

Of course, any ideas in general are very welcome, too. Like I said, I'm really not an artist. I don't know if I'll ever be able to come up with anything truly useable on my own, but I would at least like to try, and learn a few things along the way.

Thanks again!

EDIT - Latest version:

- Increased size of T, L, and X.
- Tweaked tips of d and h (maybe made them worse, though)
- Merged II
- Moved things a little closer together

My typical suggestion for trying to get a fresh set of eyes is to run it through waifu2x. Generally it makes wonky things wonkier and good things go through fine.

Looks pretty good, I might recommend a drop shadow just for the 'e' in 'the' and 'a' in 'Xanadu' to stand out a bit more, but I understand if you don't want to do that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elpato posted:

I've always had the shakes for as long as i can remember. I even remember trying to draw comics when I was a kid. All my lines came out squiggly and not at all what i wanted.
Nothing medical. Just a high strung guy, I guess.

Makes it hard to draw any graceful lines, regardless.

Drink a couple beers before drawing, then.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

This is the pixel art thread, not the anti-alias your stuff so its super fuzzy and nasty but technically mathematically correct thread.

It's only fuzzy and nasty if you do it wrong.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's a browser by browser breakdown: http://nullsleep.tumblr.com/post/16524517190/animated-gif-minimum-frame-delay-browser

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McKilligan posted:

I need this to be a real game asap, the robots are cute as heck. Are the robots on the bottom left firing or being fire upon?

I've been wrestling with the halfling all day, trying to get the animation to feel right. I think I'm close, but I've been staring at it so long I can't see if anything looks odd anymore.

Edit - I think he's finally done. If something jumps out at me later I'll tweak it. - I'm considering making the left dagger sway less, and I think his chest gets a bit jumbled but overall pretty happy with it.

Everything sways except the hair, which makes it look like a big drumstick glued to the head

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I found a great tutorial!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Give it some kind of flaming ring or some of those solar flare loops

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

maybe later. there's so much to do that right now I'm trying to just get each asset out the door as quickly as possible. now that I have a coder, I'm officially the bottleneck on production because they're working way faster than I can.

I still need a 1up icon but it's not as important right now. still gotta make more bullets and I've got ATLEAST an entire week's worth of work on animating the midboss.

Shoehead: you really nailed the look you're going for, nice job!

you can always steal the bullets from tyrian!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

Hey folks, hope this is the correct way, I'm looking for someone to create pixel-art for my indie-pen&paper-rpg, a dark sci-fi dune/babylon5/foundation-esque game about power plays, dirty deeds and wavering loyalties. Is ...is this the right place to ask if anyone's willing to take this up? Or are there better places to look for artists?

a lot of pixel artists put a portfolio up on pixeljoint

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 28, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

also there are a hell of a lot of hardline idiots who insist that CRTs meant that the pixels were never supposed to be seen, who also apparently never had a copy of mario 1

And yeah the FF 'reworked' sprites are just super amateurish low-contrast pillowshaded garbage

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe, but given how lovely the ios sprites were...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

seconding aseprite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I was at one point gonna try make a little prototype with the taller sprites but I uh.. got some bad news and then scoped back..

I thought that art looked a little short for a stormtrooper.