Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

Quickly threw together some tiles for a platformer mockup. Very fond of the palette. Not fond of the grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

Scut posted:

Is this an improvement?

Huge improvement! I'm gonna try to edit something like that into this/future tiles. That secondary lighting really does a lot to the tiles.
I always tell myself to go toward cooler less saturated colors but for some reason didn't. I need that additional grass shade.

I'll get something prettier going soon.

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

twoski posted:

I'm not sure if this can be considered pixel art since it's a bit bigger in scale and lacks fine detail.

Anyhoo, i was curious what methods people use in pixel art to do gradients between colors. Dithering looks the best but do people actually do it by hand?

For the most part I do all of my dithering by hand, but I also don't dither much. I think it's easy to use it wrong. Try weighing the noise created against the gradient created.

I don't think there's enough focus on individual pixels for that piece to be considered pixel art yet. And I don't know if it makes much sense at the moment, look at the OP for some guides and useful resources.

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

Small piece of a large piece I'm unable to ever finish. But skulls = cool.

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

Scut posted:

This is very cool. Have you kept older versions? It would make a great timelapse gif.

Don't tell anyone else, but I made this just for you.

rinski posted:

Man, your palette is insane. I have trouble with color theory and getting my palettes to look good, which is why I'm trying to focus on four-color grayscale stuff first. Did you build out your palette over time and just kind of tweak as you went, or did you just pick something and stick with it? Either way, that skull mountain seems like a cool place.

Don't tell Scut I showed you. But in that PowerPoint presentation you can see how far everything has come from the start. Started with some really vibrant colors, thought the enviroment's colors were too pretty and higher contrast. Didn't want the Wolf Maiden and Wolf to look so flat. Flipped things around. Shifted things around. Made ruins popping out of the ground, got their approval. Did pixel art studies of pretty statues, got rid of statues, brought back statues. Changed the wolf to a cute dog using my dog as reference. Made that dog fluffier so my dog wouldn't sue me.

Just poop down some colors and adjust.

Up until the skull mountain I was drawing everything on 1 or 2 layers.

Latest mess:

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

rinski posted:

Wow, that's really cool. I'm still learning, so seeing other peoples' processes is super helpful and interesting. I like how the seasons suddenly change and the spooky tree is reduced to a normal stump. Such is life near skull mountain.

The constant changes have less to do with my processes and a little more to do with me not planning this out at all. Originally this was based off a painting i was doing, thought that was boring so I made the tree pumpkin face then everything else happened.

I think I started with only 8 colors and I'm probably somewhere closer to 24 now.

Best thing you can do is just make stuff. Do pixel _dailies and doodle in your spare time.

NES palette sketch.

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

rinski posted:

See, dithering on that image looks like it belongs. I never quite know when to implement dithering, because it seems like this interesting intersection between shading, texture, and a stylistic choice. I have one sprite currently where I tried using dithering and it's mostly for texture.

It's easy to notice dithering when the two colors are higher contrast. I'm blending reds that are fairly close to one another. There's also something about how you transition from a dither to a solid and back out again.
But texture comes from the pattern and the contrast more than anything.
I guess.

I keep losing my hit keys in graphic gale, might switch to Aseperite soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012

Small wip part of a commissioned piece. NES palette only.. I think?